Can't receive or send from one email address

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
sjw54

Can't receive or send from one email address

Post by sjw54 »

I have 4 email addresses. Two are Verizon.net and two are gmail.com. On 9/20 I got an email from Google that someone had attempted to use my password and I should change it immediately. I asked for a code instead of old email. I set up new password and received a confirmation email. One address I rarely use, the other I use constantly and that is the one that does not work. I get a popup to put in my new password, which I do, and it does not recognize it. I tried a couple of times, to no avail. Yesterday I got another email from Google and went through the same process.
The popup does not recognize the new password. This morning I decided to ask for a code again, and start over. I still get the popup that does not recognize the new password. I get confirmations from Google that I have a new password.

How do we get Thunderbird to recognize this password and allow me to use that email address. I wanted to check my emails going through Google instead of Thunderbird and can't figure out how to do that.

Thank you for your help.
DanRaisch

Re: Can't receive or send from one email address

Post by DanRaisch »

Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can delete old passwords. Restart Thunderbird to ensure that the stored password is cleared from memory. The next time you "Get Mail" Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can check the box to remember the value.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

If I delete old passwords what will it remember? Won't they be deleted after I do this? I just did what you said...deleted all old passwords. I tried to send an email, got the popup, put in the most recent password I set up with Google and got the popup again....

I have tried this again, shutting down tbird, checking to make sure there were no passwords still stored. there were none. So I entered the last password I had set up with Google and still no luck. Should I use the password I have for my main verizon.net email addresses instead of the Google password? This is confusing.

Thank you, Dan
Last edited by sjw54 on September 23rd, 2018, 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In that case, Gmail may now be looking for a different authentication method. See if this article is helpful -- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1117323
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Is there a problem with my changing my password so many times with Google? I do get a confirmation email from them each time saying that it has been changed. They ask you to put in your last one, and then enter a new one. That did not work so I asked for a code number, then entered a new password, got confirmed, and then it would not accept it on tbird. Whew.....

What about the option in security for master password? Do I want that clicked and does that mean I use the same password for verizon and gmail addresses? what is the master password option for?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No, there should be no problem changing your Gmail password multiple times but Gmail may now be looking for you to change Thunderbird's security settings to make use of OAuth2. See that link above for information.

No, the Master Password option is not for the purpose you suggest. It's a way to limit access to your Thunderbird account in situations where multiple users are using the same computer. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... r-password
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Dan, I just got home and tried to use emails. Still no luck after powering off and on. Hopefully my friend who helps can figure this out tomorrow when he comes over. Verizon is working fine.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You should be able to temporarily manage your messages by using a by using a browser to access the email provider's web mail page.

For Verizon that could be https://www.verizon.com/ (I don't use Verizon so I can say that with certainty.)
For Gmail that would be https://www.google.com/
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

I used to be able to do that...now it does not work, I could click on 'gmail' from their page but not any more. It must have something to do with my gmail address and my alternate address (verizon, which is working). I guess I should wait for my friend because I am afraid I am going to make things worse. The screen says add Google to you Gmail account. Rather than mess things up, I'll wait for him. I know this should be so simple.....but for me it is not. Thank you. I have your posts for him to refer to.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

I do not access my emails from any other place then here at home on my laptop. So if I check master password should it make any difference? I do not use a cell phone or any other computer. Just this one. Also, I can access emails from my Verizon addresses on their site, which is now via AOL. That works.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

So if I check master password should it make any difference?
I don't see the addition of a master password as being in any way helpful to you at this time.

Simply entering www.gmail.com to your browser address bar should take you to a log in screen at which point you enter your Google email address and then, after clicking on the "Next" button, you would enter your password.

Having multiple email addresses should not be an issue as one should not be interacting with the other.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Hi Dan, I realized this morning that i had to log out of gmail and then log back in with my new password and that allowed me to open my emails in gmail. So, that is one problem solved.

I can also now received and send email from my verizon address after having to use the password.

Now, my main problem is the one with my gmails through tbird. I had hoped that by resetting the password through gmail, it would be recognized when I use my t-bird email, but it does not. Strange, because the Verizon addresses recognize the verizon password. Whew....
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Did you check the settings on the Google web mail page to see if two step verification has been switched on. To find that click on "Gear" icon and then on Settings->Accounts and Import->Other Google Account settings->scroll down to "Password and sign-in method" and make sure that "Two step verification" is "OFF".
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

It is already set to OFF
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

At 12:30 I got an email via tbird at verizon that came through fine. Since then they are not coming through, and I have to go to aol to find them. I am praying this is not a hopeless case and I will have to give up my t-bird. When it works it is better and easier than any others. I can send out but no receive.

Gmail is not working, but my friend is coming tomorrow at 1. He thinks I should give up but I am counting on the two of you to help me. I just want to cry.

Sorry, Dan. Have you any other suggestions aside from what you previously wrote in messages above to figure out why incoming is not working for Verizon...I ask because I know you won't be around when my friend is here tomorrow and I do not understand much of the instructions. He will.

THROUGH THUNDERBIRD

1. Incoming for verizon/aol (outgoing is working)
2. incoming and outgoing for gmail