Can't receive or send from one email address

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DanRaisch

Re: Can't receive or send from one email address

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the Gmail account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

POP
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

After logging out of Gmail through the browser and then resetting the password on the webmail page, have you again deleted the saved password for the Gmail account in Thunderbird and then closed and restarted TB?
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

No, but I can try that. I have to go out now and won't be back for a few hours. I'll hopefully have time to do that when I get home. I cannot thank you enough. I wish I was braver to try more of your suggestions, but you know my fear is I'll make things worse. I'll let you know when I try what you just suggested....tonight or in the morning....
Would you believe all this nonsense makes me lose my appetite and I am going out for birthday dinner...lol
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

I did what you suggested (deleted passwords and closed and restarted) and it allowed incoming to verizon, but then I got the password popup for gmail and it would not accept the gmail password, which of course is different than the verizon.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

So, it's a new day and no emails coming in to verizon. I am so perplexed and I feel that if you cannot figure it out the guy coming over won't be able to either. All I can do is have him go back over all your suggestions. Shouldn't TB acknowledge my new gmail password that I set up with gmail? and how come verizon works sometimes and not others. I just want to cry.

Verizon addresses asked for my password, I put them in, and the popup went away. But...no emails came in, so I had to go to Aol to get them. I have very lengthy address books in TB and I cannot use them. How do I get an attachment that is in gmail over to TB so I can forward it to 20 people that are waiting for it. Gosh, this is crazy. Do others have this same problem I have? There has to be a solution. Surely someone with TB has a clue. I consider you the genius, but might someone else have any ideas? My friend will be here in 5 hours, 1 PM ET. Sigh
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

To answer one of your questions, I too use a Gmail account (set up as IMAP) and have not seen any problem such as you are experiencing.
You say that a pop-up appears asking for the Gmail password, that you enter it, the pop-up disappears but then nothing happens. Are you checking the box in that pop-up to have Thunderbird remember the password and submit it automatically the next time it is required? Is there no error message displayed after you enter the password but no messages arrive?
As for the Verizon/AOL account (what a marriage that is!), if you sometimes receive messages but at other times do not, it doesn't sound like an issue on the Thunderbird side. The settings must be correct for that one time receipt. How is the Verizon account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.

What security software are you running on this system?
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

The popup is for my gmail (outgoing server) : Enter your password for xxxxxxxxxxxx on smtp.gmail.com:
Then I enter it, and the box to click is for password manager to click OK. Or cancel.

2 verizon are POP MAIL SERVER to POP
and 2 gmail are POP MAIL SERVER set to IMAP

Super Anti Spyware Free Edition which my computer guy likes.
Last edited by DanRaisch on September 25th, 2018, 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Email address obscured per forum rules. http://forums.mozillazine.org/faq.php?mode=rules#f4r4
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

and 2 gmail are POP MAIL SERVER set to IMAP
Unless you "misspoke" there, that's a problem. If Thunderbird is set up to access the Gmail accounts as POP accounts*, Gmail must be set to permit email clients to access the accounts as POP accounts, not as IMAP accounts. Check that this is so on the Gmail web page by clicking on the Gear icon and then selecting Settings->Forwarding and POP/IMAP->next to "POP Download" make sure the box is checked for "Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded)."

* Find out for each of the Gmail accounts using Thunderbird menu path Tools->Account Settings in the left hand panel->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue. Repeat that for each of the two accounts.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Gmail settings:
I checked enable POP for all email.
What about IMAP. it is set 'disabled'

TB settings for Gmail:Both:
POP SERVER MAIL settings are: imap.gmail.com
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

sjw54 wrote:Gmail settings:
I checked enable POP for all email.
What about IMAP. it is set 'disabled'

That's fine and as it should be.
sjw54 wrote:TB settings for Gmail:
Both: POP SERVER MAIL settings are: imap.gmail.com
And that's wrong. The server name to access those two accounts as POP accounts should be pop.googlemail.com.
The port settings should be 995
The User Name value should be your full Gmail address.
The Connection Security values should be SSL/TLS
The Authentication method should be Normal password
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

995 is correct as is everything except the full email address, which I just added. When I hit 'save'the popup says: Your user name has been updated. You may also need to update your email address and/or user name associated with this account.

It was the same on both gmail accounts. It seems to me the full email address and user name are correct and is what is associated with the account....so I clicked OK on both.

So now should I try to enter the gmail password from those two accounts?

Meanwhile I am not receiving emails from the verizon today either...I probably already told you that. We can work on that after this....if you have time.....and I don't get too overwhelmed.

My sister is up here due to the floods in NC and I may have to leave for a while......but not yet....
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

I just tried to send an email from gmail using the gmail password and it will not work. Same popups I get every day.........does not recognize it.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Hi Dan, my computer friend is busy with a client who he said has the worst virus he has seen in a long time, so he won't be here until tomorrow at 10am. So, maybe, if we have a question, you'll be around. Thanks again for your time and patience. I guess are not too many people who deal with TB anymore....I am in awe of your patience....
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Hello Dan, this morning I entered the password in verizon and it worked incoming and outgoing. I went out for three hours, came home and now incoming is not working again.

Gmail is still not working either way.

Are you around? My computer guy will be here in a few minutes, just in case.....thank you!