Problem Forwarding Mail TB 52.9.1 POP3

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Sparkie82

Problem Forwarding Mail TB 52.9.1 POP3

Post by Sparkie82 »

I was forwarding mail with Composition set to 'inline' but the format of the mail received was nothing like the original and did not include photos.
I changed this to 'As Attachment' and all was then correct.
However I tried to forward a mail embodying a number of photos and this had a large number of recipients on the original.
I have not found a way to be able to remove those previous recipient addresses which is good policy before forwarding.
If I select them and delete it deletes the entire mail. I am new to TB as I was using a Microsoft mail client on XP previously where it was quite simple but have now moved on but found TB has many problems which I have overcome.
Anybody know a way around this please?

Thanks in advance
DanRaisch

Re: Problem Forwarding Mail TB 52.9.1 POP3

Post by DanRaisch »

In the composition window when forwarding a message, if you click just above the "-------Forwarded message--------" text and then hold down the Shift key and click just below the last of the addresses from the original message, you click then click on Del and remove only the previous addresses.
Sparkie82

Post by Sparkie82 »

Thanks Dan
Unfortunately your deletion suggestion only works when the inline option is used as this is the only time the recipient addresses are shown and CAN be deleted. With this inline option the 20 or so photos in the original (given earlier in Privacy -- Allow remote content) are not present and there are only lines of 30+ alpha numeric characters without file extension which have no meaning.
To overcome this I had to change to the Ad Attachment option for the photos to show. But this is sent straight away with no option for deleting recipients most likely because of what the name implies.
Sparkie82

Post by Sparkie82 »

[quote="Sparkie82"]Thanks Dan
Unfortunately your deletion suggestion only works when the inline option is used as this is the only time the recipient addresses are shown and CAN be deleted. With this inline option the 20 or so photos in the original (given earlier in Privacy -- Allow remote content) are not present and there are only lines of 30+ alpha numeric characters without file extension which have no meaning.
To overcome this I had to change to the Ad Attachment option for the photos to show. But this is sent straight away with no option for deleting recipients most likely because of what the name implies.[/quote

]Re last message above I find that the alphanumeric numbers are the front part of the file names but there is no means of adding the missing part which the recipient would not be able to do in any case.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Something is wrong there because the header data (previous recipients, sender, date, etc) has nothing to do with attachments or sending inline or as attachment.

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Sparkie82

Post by Sparkie82 »

Thanks Dan
Using Safe Mode does not alter the situation. See below.
In Inline mode and Forward I can select and delete the past recipients. But as soon as I go into Forward in either TB Safe Mode or Normal the mail format changes even before I send it. The one containing many photos which arrived via Hotmail then showed no photos and only part file names as mentioned before. On a sales offer from MyMemory the images went and the text format changed dramatically giving many html addresses for various products.
Using 3 alias mail addresses I can write, send and then Forward mail between them with photos attached and all goes well.
The privacy bar below the header is not always present so I have allowed Remote Content to eliminate that aspect and disabled Keywords
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Sparkie82 wrote:The privacy bar below the header is not always present so I have allowed Remote Content to eliminate that aspect and disabled Keywords
I don't understand the connection there. If the Privacy Bar is not displayed it means that Thunderbird doesn't consider the received message to be of concern so it should already have allowed Remote Content. And I have no idea what you mean by disabling Keywords. Is that an extension?
Sparkie82

Post by Sparkie82 »

That explains the privacy bar.
The keyword was just a tick box somewhere in the Options but I cannot find it now. From my notes it was something I came across after allowing remote content until testing is finished. It made no difference
I have been looking to see if plain or html text is used in case this was the problem but the only entry I note is in the account settings which I assume refers to two way traffic.
These are side actions while I try to solve the main problem.
(To forward the mail with all the photos an 30+ recipients I had to resort to my other computer with XP and Outlook Express and it went without any problem).
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

assume refers to two way traffic
The settings are separate for incoming and outgoing.
For composition the settings is found under Tools->Account Settings->Composition & Addressing->check or uncheck "Compose messages in HTML format".
For received messages the option is found under menu path View->Message body as->choose "Original HTML", "Simple HTML", or "Plain text."
Sparkie82

Post by Sparkie82 »

That was useful information you supplied. I have been through all combinations of HTML and normal both in safe mode, normal and with add-ons disabled but whatever the starting point as soon as Forward is pressed the on screen view changes. The only add on I added which shows as an extension is Theme Font & Size Changer. (Inline Mode in use).

The mail with all the photos has the first photo named cf14e0b4a561fbbda1dd55f6ca3_thumb[1].jpg but as an example the photo is replaced with just the name with the underscore and all after deleted.

Another example of a graphic display with some texshows as: NEW IN <http://links.mkt2892.com/ctt?kn=35&ms=N ... &mt=1&rt=0> WOMEN <http://links.mkt2892.com/ctt?kn=18&ms=N ... &mt=1&rt=0> MEN <http://links.mkt2892.com/ctt?kn=22&ms=N ... &mt=1&rt=0> INSPIRATION <http://links.mkt2892.com/ctt?kn=26&ms=N ... &mt=1&rt=0>.

Its very frustrating and wastes time.
Sparkie82

Post by Sparkie82 »

Dan
I hope my comment about wasted time has not been taken in the wrong context. So I thought I had better clarify this.
I am extremely grateful for your time, patience and the help and advice you have provided me on this matter and have learned a number of points that have been useful.
This has enabled me to run checks in the hope of finding a solution as this programme has only been in regular use for a couple of weeks or so. Use has not been high so I am assuming that is not the cause of the problem.
I am determined to try and find a solution as TB is a thoroughbred programme so much so that I have given time to running tests every day using time that should have been devoted to other matters. That is the meaning of the matter, nothing derogatory or wasteful. Experience is useful. If I can get it sorted I would rather stick with TB rather than look at other programmes that may have hidden problems. At the moment I am running out of ideas. I could uninstal the font size changer although this should have been disabled in safe mode. It is really necessary on a 1920 by 1080 screen as the print size in the headers are otherwise difficult to read easily
Thank you once again.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No offense taken here.
It is really necessary on a 1920 by 1080 screen as the print size in the headers are otherwise difficult to read easily
Do you actually mean "print" as in output to a printer or do you mean displayed size of the text on your screen?

If the latter, you could try adjusting the font size without the extension. See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pane_and_menu_fonts
Sparkie82

Post by Sparkie82 »

It was on screen rather than a print. I uninstalled the font size change add on and it made no difference so I have put it back in. I looked at the article you suggested and its follow on pages but as the add on was working decided to not use that method. I was not too sure of the exact method to use to add the code into the software. Would I just use a text programme such as Wordpad?
I have concluded that as long as the incoming mail contains a separate attachment it can be forwarded correctly. It is where no attachment is shown that the problem arises so I assume these must have inline format. Most of these are from manufacturers or suppliers where the mail looks more like a website so could possibly use other methods say frames. Since I noticed the problem I have only noted a couple from private individuals where photos are embedded in the text and no attachment shown.
Sparkie82

Post by Sparkie82 »

Having seen the amount of information that is now shown in Message Source compared with previous in OE it has shown me that what is actually shown on clicking Forward is in fact the Message Source data.
Why this should happen is a mystery. Has anyone in Mozilla or Thunderbird come across this problem and is there a solution for it please?