Location of Aaadd-mm-yyyy.txt files as logs

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
MaartenW

Location of Aaadd-mm-yyyy.txt files as logs

Post by MaartenW »

During the use of Thunderbird a lot of txt files are created with names ending with (date).txt.
As an example: IMAP Folders25-9-2018.txt.
Alle these files are now placed in the Documents folder.
As this folder is also used for other documents, I would rather specify that these files are placed in another directory which I specify.
Where can I find the place where I specify the location of these txt files?
I would even be more happy when these file are auto-deleted after a specific time.
DanRaisch

Re: Location of Aaadd-mm-yyyy.txt files as logs

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support.

If you enter %temp% in the "Run" command box of Win 10, is "Documents" the directory displayed?
MaartenW

Post by MaartenW »

It is not clear to me what box you mean exactly.
Typing in the 'Command Prompt': dir %temp% I get the directory content of C:\Users\mw\AppData\Local\Temp

In this directory I see a subdirectory 'mozilla-temp-files', which is completely empty.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That was the correct box. I was wondering if the "Documents" directory you referred to might be the defined Windows Temp directory but apparently that is not the case.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I've never heard of Thunderbird creating files such as IMAP Folders25-9-2018.txt before. If you open it with Notepad what type of data does it have in it? I'm wondering if it has part of a message (like *.wdseml files in a .mozmsgs subdirectory), its a folder listing (like *.msf files) or its a binary file. How big are most of them? Does the size vary much?

Is there a IMAP Folders24-9-2018.txt etc. (i.e. one version of that file per day)?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Files_and_fol ... hunderbird

Have you always had these files and only recently decided to do something about them, or is that something that started after upgrading Thunderbird or one of its add-ons?

If you search for "Documents" (without the quotes) in the Search: field in the config editor (tools -> options -> advanced -> general) does it find any settings that reference that location? It normally shouldn't.

My Documents directory is at C:\Users\Eric\Documents. I can't find any Thunderbird settings that reference Documents but searching for C:\Users\Eric returns several settings similar to mail.server.serverX.directory (where X is a number), and three mail.root.* settings. If you search for C:\Users\Maarten (or whatever your equivalent is) does it return any other types of search results?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Do you still have that problem? If you solved it I'd appreciate knowing what you did, in case somebody else has the same problem.