User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BretMan

Re: Ver. 62.0 Bookmarks Description Window

Post by BretMan »

tomatoshadow2: Yes.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

bhdavis wrote:Then I learned about Firefox 60.2 ESR and downloaded that commercial version. That is what I stayed with. I uninstalled Zotero but left the ADD-ON in Firefox so as a reminder should they remove the description window from 60.2 ESR. I also copy/pasted the HTML backup into a Word.doc so I'd have a safety net.

BH
Good choice going with the 60.2 ESR version. Don't worry about the 60 ESR version losing the Description window, the 68.2 ESR version in Oct 2019 is when the 60 ESR "line" ends and 60 ESR will get updated to 68 ESR. The ESR versions gets security updates by no new features and it doesn't lose any features. By then we'll know if the new Description field for the Activity Stream gets a WebExtension to hold the data that the old, defunct "annotations" Description field held.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
bhdavis

Post by bhdavis »

the-edmeister wrote:
bhdavis wrote:Then I learned about Firefox 60.2 ESR and downloaded that commercial version. That is what I stayed with. I uninstalled Zotero but left the ADD-ON in Firefox so as a reminder should they remove the description window from 60.2 ESR. I also copy/pasted the HTML backup into a Word.doc so I'd have a safety net.

BH
Good choice going with the 60.2 ESR version. Don't worry about the 60 ESR version losing the Description window, the 68.2 ESR version in Oct 2019 is when the 60 ESR "line" ends and 60 ESR will get updated to 68 ESR. The ESR versions gets security updates by no new features and it doesn't lose any features. By then we'll know if the new Description field for the Activity Stream gets a WebExtension to hold the data that the old, defunct "annotations" Description field held.

Wow.....thanks for that information.
BH
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Saw this thread on Reddit: Bookmark Notes – quick-'n'-dirty replacement for now-defunct bookmark descriptions : firefox so looks like there might be an alternative being worked on. I have not looked at it since I rarely used or looked at descriptions.
boersenfeger

Post by boersenfeger »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:65.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/65.0.1
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:67.0) Gecko/20190219 Firefox/67a1
Visit the German Firefox-Forum wwx. camp-firefox.de/forum
BretMan

Post by BretMan »

Sounds great that we may get it back, even as an add-on. The user/tester made these comments:
"These are some general thoughts, although don't make changes just for me because I am unlikely to use this.

Note: I run NoScript in case that is an issue.
Toolbar button doesn't open the sidebar on mine for some reason (there is an empty little popup).
Initial load takes a really long time; not sure if you can show any kind of icons during that.
Expanded/collapsed state is not remembered. Not sure how hard that is to handle.
Users may not realize they can expand/collapse folders without an icon.
Highlighting current page would be handy.
Search box would be handy.
Having a way to launch a bookmark would be handy, it could be from the dialog where users enter notes.
It could be convenient to have the option to show just bookmarks with notes rather than scrolling through."

They all sound like good improvement suggestions. The "Highlighting current page would be handy." triggered my memory of my long time suggestion/search for an add-on which will highlight individual bookmarks in different colors, which I think would be very handy to quickly find different types of information. As of now, I add asterisks (*****) at the beginning of those I need to designate a ranking or importance, plus keywords.
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

This is irresponsible of Mozilla to delete information users stored w/o at least warning them. (And the fact that some website warned it was going to happen is totally irrelevant.)

Obviously, users like this functionality. Maybe they should optimize code (for the supposed performance hit) instead of irritating users by removing something useful.

This is as bad as Google. Now where do we go for a good browser? I'm very disappointed.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Justinh wrote:This is irresponsible of Mozilla to delete information users stored w/o at least warning them.
The data is still there, but there's no user interface controls to view or edit it.
Justinh wrote:Now where do we go for a good browser?
You can use an add-on with Firefox 62, or you can switch to the Extended Support Release of Firefox 60.

* https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... ark-notes/
* https://support.mozilla.org/kb/switch-t ... elease-esr
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

This is as bad as Google.
Chromium never had that, there is nothing to compare. in fact chromium has nothing except a text and a link to put.
firefox (and similar) have best bookmark manager. but Jefferson pointed out the alternatives, bu i am pretty sure that i also wrote before about v60esr. i could not follow all your spam about, take it or leave.
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

jscher2000 wrote:
Justinh wrote:This is irresponsible of Mozilla to delete information users stored w/o at least warning them.
The data is still there, but there's no user interface controls to view or edit it.
Justinh wrote:Now where do we go for a good browser?
You can use an add-on with Firefox 62, or you can switch to the Extended Support Release of Firefox 60.

* https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... ark-notes/
* https://support.mozilla.org/kb/switch-t ... elease-esr
Well, if I can't get to it, it is just as if it is gone.

Does this add-on access the 'still there' data, or do I have to recreate it?

And using ESR only delays the inevitable.

Thanks,
Justin

Either way, a bad move by Fx.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Hi Justinh, if you adopt Bookmark Notes, you'll need to create an HTML export file, then import that into the extension so it can grab the Descriptions. For quick reference:

https://support.mozilla.org/kb/export-f ... r-transfer
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

Thanks for the info, Jase, and for sharing the add-on.