new account created but disappeared

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
sophivan

new account created but disappeared

Post by sophivan »

I use 7 accounts wit adresses by FREE,GMAIL,YAHOO,o2online and SUNRISE : all is OK for several years
Today I create a new account by FREE : when I close Thunderbird (version 60),this new account disappears.....!!!!
What is wrong ?
Thanks for your help
sophivan
tanstaafl

Re: new account created but disappeared

Post by tanstaafl »

I don't know.

I'd start by using help -> troubleshooting information -> open folder to open windows explorer at your profile and browse it looking for a child directory named after the mail server you used. If its a IMAP account it would be in the ImapMail directory, if its a POP account it would be in the Mail directory.

I'd also use the config editor to search for any reference to that accounts email address. If the directory exists but there is no mention in the config editor I'd wonder if something prevented Thunderbird from updating the prefs.js file. In that case the account existed only in memory, so it disappeared when you restart Thunderbird.

What email provider did you add this account for?
if you make a minor change in one of your existing accounts settings and restart Thunderbird does it keep that change?
sophivan

Post by sophivan »

Thanks for your help

For the new account I use FREE as e-mail provider
In my profile I find a directory named "imap.free-2.fr" (I use 2 others account by FREE,so I have 2 directory free and free-1)

In the config editor I have references to that account when I create this account,but they disappear when I restart Thunderbird

Your are right " something prevented Thunderbird from updating the prefs.js file"

What can I do ?

sophivan
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I suggest you reboot the machine. If that doesn't help see https://www.howtogeek.com/128680/HOW-TO ... N-WINDOWS/ . Personally, I've used "Unlocker" from http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Unlocker.html to get rid of locks on a file where I had no clue who/what was locking the file.

You could also right click on the file using windows explorer, select properties, and then look at the file permissions in the security tab. You should have permission to read, write and modify the file.
sophivan

Post by sophivan »

I used windows explorer,properties,file permissions in the security tab......now it works
Thank you for your help
sophivan

Post by sophivan »

the account doesnt disappear,but when I open Thunderbird,the folders of this new account stays always open,they don't collapse.....!!
What should I do ?
Thanks for your help
sophivan