Flash Player Messup

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
troothteller

Flash Player Messup

Post by troothteller »

I trace this problem to the last update Adobe offered for Flash Player about a month ago. Off and on I consider reverting back to the previous Flash Player version. This is SeaMonkey version 2.49.2 on Windows 7 64-Bit. IE11 does not show this problem; but other browsers I have do. Pages are just messed up, showing place holders instead of the images that used to show there. So, when the images serve as links, I have to read the fine print under them. Google is so corrupted that in SeaMonkey I cannot even use it. My other browser show the same problem. No matter how problem free it is, Chrome behaves the same way as does Firefox and Torch Browser. Any other users have similar experience. Some images in a few messages in my SeaMonkey mail inbox never show.
DanRaisch

Re: Flash Player Messup

Post by DanRaisch »

IE11 does not show this problem; but other browsers I have do.
Assuming that this is a Flash issue, and it might not be: You do know that there are different versions of Adobe's Flash Player for different browsers, right? And that the one for IE is not compatible with Firefox/SeaMonkey or Chrome? And that Chrome has it's own built in version?
What version of the Flash Player plugin is currently identified as active in your SeaMonkey installation? Find that out under menu path Tools->Add-ons Manager->Plugins->click on the "More" next to the entry for Shockwave Flash.
therube

Post by therube »

And just how does Flash Player have any bearing?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Thank you; but I know the difference between plugin and ActiveX. I checked all browsers each time I have to apply a Flash Player update. For SeaMonkey the version of Flash that it runs is version 31.0 r0.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

"And just how does Flash Player have any bearing?" I indicated in my first post that the problem began with Adobe's update to it. Unless you know whether or not Flash Player works in SeaMonkey, Flash Player is only relevant in that its most recent update served as the point at which I noticed the problem. Adobe's testing page for Flash Player works in SeaMonkey in showing which version it is running and whether it is most recent. If SeaMonkey's technicians do not want us to run Flash Player, then they had better make that clear. It would be one last thing for me to test for.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

SeaMonkey's technicians
Huh?
31.0 r0.
That is not a complete version number for Flash. The current version is 31.0.0.108.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

31.0 r0 is what the plugins page show; but after clicking on "more" after it, the next page shows the full version number, which agrees with the one you say it should be.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

troothteller wrote:31.0 r0 is what the plugins page show; but after clicking on "more" after it, the next page shows the full version number, which agrees with the one you say it should be.
Yes, but it's that last three digits that are important in determining if the latest version is installed as Adobe can update several times within the 31.0.0 version group.

What's a URL for one (or more) of the sites where you see the issues?
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

I already indicated that my version number is 31.0.0.108. This URL is supposed to be full of icons that no longer show in most of my browsers except IE11: https://hp.tb.ask.com/tbask/index.html
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I saw you post the .108 information but was pointing out that when posting for support, it's very important to provide complete information.

The icons are visible in Vivaldi, Edge, and in SeaMonkey. Safe Mode in Firefox doesn't seem to make any difference and it has nothing to do with Flash.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

For version number I posted what I saw on the page for plugins. Don't make me take a screenshot. I did not make that version number up with the lower case "r." This is not Windows 10; so I do not have Edge. I do not know what Vivaldi is other than an Italian composer. In this SeaMonkey the icons do NOT appear.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

troothteller wrote:
DanRaisch wrote:... The icons are visible in Vivaldi, Edge, and in SeaMonkey. Safe Mode in Firefox doesn't seem to make any difference and it has nothing to do with Flash.
... In this SeaMonkey the icons do NOT appear.
  • :-k Well, in my SeaMonkey 2.49.4 (on GNU/Linux debian stable), I can see all icons perfectly:

And as Dan has commented, that page, doesn't use Flash for ANYTHING.

How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Just tested the link in my SeaMonkey on Linux and I don't see the icons.

Skipped Safe Mode because I only have NoScript installed. Disabled that extension, reloaded the page and there were icons.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

This morning I already restarted SeaMonkey with addons disabled. Now, based on what the two new posts for today I went to my addons page and changed the setting for Shockwave Flash from "Always Activate" to "Never Activate." Would it be worthwhile to create a new Profile for SeaMonkey on this computer?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It can't hurt because creating a new profile does not remove or modify the original profile. If there is no improvement when testing in the new profile one can always revert to the original profile.