Flash Player Messup

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
troothteller

Re: Flash Player Messup

Post by troothteller »

I will try creating a new Profile; but deactivating everything on the addons page did not improve anything.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Problems can also be caused by configurations settings, some of which may have been changed by previously installed extensions, even if those extensions were later removed. Not all extensions are properly written to remove settings changes on removal that they have made to the system when installed.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

I just thought of getting SeaMonkey back to its original defaults, having saved its Bookmarks. Backing up this Profile would not be a problem with enough storage areas.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Forgive my neglect of this post. Switching profiles and Safe Mode did not render the sites any more presentable than before. From restoring my system following a system crash last February, I had enough profiles to avoid making a new one. Besides, IE11, which I read gets ongoing support no longer, is the only browser I have that shows the sites the way they are supposed to look. Chrome, which is supposed to self-update and install its plugins, if they call them that, does not even show the sites with all the icons. Additionally, regarding Safe Mode and new profiles, I tried the same with Firefox. That move did not help.
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

It sounds like you have pretty big problems with several browsers. First, I want to say that without Flash installed most sites work for most people. And, as you mentioned, Chrome comes with its own Flash. I suspect you either have a corrupt Windows install, bad graphics drivers, or most likely either a virus or an overly intrusive antivirus software. The easiest thing to test is boot into Windows Safe Mode with Networking, which I hope will temporarily disable your antivirus software. Then try some browsing in Chrome. If things are not working then, consider doing a Chrome reset as an experiment: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en Since your problems happen in Firefox, Seamonkey, and Chrome, you might want this post moved to the "Mozillazine Tech" forum. Also consider uninstalling Flash - many sites will then use HTML5 if flash is not there to confuse them. You can always reinstall it later if you want.

If you post back with an update, be sure to mention what antivirus software you have, and anything that might be unusual about your computer - such as, do you have less than 4GB of RAM, do you have a non-SSE2 processor, what is your graphics card.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Have you heard of Sophos Endpoint Security And Control? That is my antivirus and firewall. At my local office store, a national chain, I purchased an antivirus removal plan of which Sophos was an option. After my next restart, as long as I am not installing any Windows Updates, I will test in Safe Mode With Networking. On Properties under My Computer, the System box shows 4GB of RAM with 3.79 usable. The processors are two Intel Pentiums P6100 at 2GHz. System Information gives them as Logical Processors. I believe the graphics card is Intel HD Graphics from Device Manager and System Information.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

I have not forgotten about this thread, just delayed my doing the steps before which I wanted to do some "real work" before I have a severe crash, which I always expect. This issue is full of quirks. Today a Flash Player update notification came up for which I ignored. With the browser Torch, I have seen graphics appear as normal; but that is often "hit and miss" since I cannot bring it up that way now. Also, upon doing Searches, clicking upon Images brings up place holders instead of images. While in Safe Mode, I will try to uninstall Flash to see if there is any improvement.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You can not uninstall Flash from within Firefox as it is a plug-in (OS level installation) not a Firefox extension.

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb ... ndows.html
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

I am now in Safe Mode With Networking. SeaMonkey froze. I could not get off the home page. To close it I had to use the bar below in Windows that shows what's open. In all my other browsers I could see the graphics where I could not in full windows. Neither Chrome nor Torch allowed me to view my plugins; but in Firefox they were not active. I did nothing else to this system.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Why did you launch the browsers? The page I pointed to specifically says that the uninstaller will not work if any program that uses Flash is running.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

I tested every browser, following other advice that I decided to try. The browsers I have are IE11, Firefox, Chrome, Torch Browser and SeaMonkey, which is also my default email client. The page you pointed out is more of what I already saw. I just want my web pages to look the way they are supposed to. I have not removed anything; but I may reset the browsers to their defaults.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Now that I am back in full Windows, my browsers look like garbage. Since I disabled Flash Player, where did I go wrong? Besides, I am sorry I reset SeaMonkey because the mail folders I preserved from before other crashes are now gone. To reset I deleted the prefs.js file, but made a copy of it first. Now that I copied the old prefs file into the Profile folder and deleted the new one, I got my folders back. Either way, I still have garbage where I want to see graphics.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Now that I removed Flash Player, unless it is hiding as either an addon or plugin, I still get garbage where I want images.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

troothteller wrote:Now that I removed Flash Player, unless it is hiding as either an addon or plugin, I still get garbage where I want images.
To my knowledge Flash Player has nothing to do with images, just video.

So how about a link to a page that shows you garbage when you want images?

What is the image format? A .jpg, .png, .gif, other?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Thanks for asking. I wish I could pull up a developer report that would be helpful for everyone here to view. My favorite search page would be a good example. According to some other information that you might derive from it, I believe the images are PGN. Here is the link: https://hp.tb.ask.com/tbask/index.html