Version 60.2.1

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ep2012
Location: If you aren't fighting in this war, YOU are part of the problem!

Version 60.2.1

Post by ep2012 »

Hi there,

I just read this, but when I tried to update TB, it said it was already up-to-date, but I'm only on vs. 52.9.1

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... bird-6021/

Thanks
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
tanstaafl

Re: Version 60.2.1

Post by tanstaafl »

Version 60.0 is only available as a download from thunderbird.net. It's not available yet as automated update to 52.9.1. However, if you downloaded the setup program for 60.0, installed it , and manually checked for an update (via help -> about Mozilla Thunderbird) it will update it to 60.2.1.

I suggest you wait until 60.* is more mature and they enable automate updates to it from 52.9.1. Many add-ons don't work with version 60 unless they're modified. Things will improve over time (as authors update their add-ons).

Note the caveat at https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... underbird/ :
"In general, these flaws cannot be exploited through email in the Thunderbird product because scripting is disabled when reading mail, but are potentially risks in browser or browser-like contexts."

As long as you uncheck "view -> display attachments inline", are careful about what attachments you open, and don't use an add-on like ThunderBrowse that tries to run Thunderbird into a browser IMHO it's safe to be using a slightly older version of Thunderbird. It has too small a market share (compared to webmail, outlook, apple mail etc.) to make it worthwhile tailoring attacks just to it and most of the critical security bugs are for scenarios you don't need to normally worry about.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

ep2012 wrote:Hi there,

I just read this, but when I tried to update TB, it said it was already up-to-date, but I'm only on vs. 52.9.1

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... bird-6021/

Thanks
Updates to 60.2.1 were disabled after a problem was discovered. They have been enabled again. You should be able to update from TB 52.9.1 using Help > About Thunderbird.

As tanstaffl pointed some extensions not marked as compatible with version 60 will be disabled,
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
ep2012
Location: If you aren't fighting in this war, YOU are part of the problem!

Post by ep2012 »

tanstaafl wrote:Version 60.0 is only available as a download from thunderbird.net. It's not available yet as automated update to 52.9.1. However, if you downloaded the setup program for 60.0, installed it , and manually checked for an update (via help -> about Mozilla Thunderbird) it will update it to 60.2.1.

I suggest you wait until 60.* is more mature and they enable automate updates to it from 52.9.1. Many add-ons don't work with version 60 unless they're modified. Things will improve over time (as authors update their add-ons).

Note the caveat at https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... underbird/ :
"In general, these flaws cannot be exploited through email in the Thunderbird product because scripting is disabled when reading mail, but are potentially risks in browser or browser-like contexts."

As long as you uncheck "view -> display attachments inline", are careful about what attachments you open, and don't use an add-on like ThunderBrowse that tries to run Thunderbird into a browser IMHO it's safe to be using a slightly older version of Thunderbird. It has too small a market share (compared to webmail, outlook, apple mail etc.) to make it worthwhile tailoring attacks just to it and most of the critical security bugs are for scenarios you don't need to normally worry about.

Wow, I had that checked off :(

Ok, I'll wait then.

Thanks a ton to both of you.

Michelle
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!