Restore Previous Session

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Vernon27

Restore Previous Session

Post by Vernon27 »

Hello All,

I am running Mozilla Firefox version 62.02 (64-bit) on Windows 10 Dell laptop with full admin rights. It appears that the option "Restore Previous Session" is not available (grayed out). I have uninstalled and re-installed Firefox and still the same issue. Firefox is also installed on a Windows 7 PC and also having the same issue. The previous version of Firefox did have this issue.

I have scurried the internet looking for answers and did not find any.

Can anyone offer resolution to this issue.

What I want to do is restore previous sessions of Firefox especially when I have multiple tabs open.

Thank You,

Vernon
LIMPET235

Re: Restore Previous Session

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
See if the "Official" article helps sort things out...
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... us-session

Of course, you could always use an extension for more options...
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... %20manager
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Vernon27

Post by Vernon27 »

The Restore Previous Session is grayed out and not able to be selected. All of those "options" provided does not work.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

You should probably try these two tests... one is a test profile. Get into Options and see if that Previous part is grayed out. That test will at least give you more info...

Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.

Another test is Safe-mode... see what happens with that Options setting when in safe-mode...

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Vernon27

Post by Vernon27 »

None of the steps are working. Why is the "Restore Previous Session" GRAYED out! I am getting tired of trying all of these "solutions" with the same end result; the issue is not resolving. How can I get the "Restore Previous Session" to work.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

You wont have session when using private mode, let firefox clean up after end, or using external cleaning programs. Antivirus can also prevent things. Issues on 2 computers have same cause, compare it.

I cannot confirm your problem here on 3 computers.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Vernon27 wrote:None of the steps are working. Why is the "Restore Previous Session" GRAYED out! I am getting tired of trying all of these "solutions" with the same end result; the issue is not resolving. How can I get the "Restore Previous Session" to work.
Very few people have issues as you do... maybe even zero? ... see what happens when you create a 'test' profile and use it as-is except for any options-changes required to activate session restoring functions.
Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.

Also, Brummelchen has a good idea... it may be security software causing the problem... you can check that by rebooting your PC into safe-mode with Network active and then start up Firefox and test it out.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Also make sure that you do not use "Clear history when Firefox closes" to clear the browsing history or have history disabled.