what happened to my trash/spam/junk folder?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
guzzler99

what happened to my trash/spam/junk folder?

Post by guzzler99 »

I no longer have a junk folder.
Have reinstalled TB and also tried 64bit version but still no folder. I can create a folder which becomes a subfolder, even when i try to move it, but it does not fill with the junk that i can see directly in Hotmail and also within Mailspring. The junk mail is not displayed anywhere in TB, it just seems to have ignored them alltogether.
I prefer the layout of TB but may have to move to Mailspring if this persists.
Using latest version 60 on Windows 10.
tanstaafl

Re: what happened to my trash/spam/junk folder?

Post by tanstaafl »

Just to be clear, you're using a email address with a hotmail domain in a IMAP account that uses the imap-mail.outlook.com mail server?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Hotmail

I suspect you are specifying the wrong junk folder in Thunderbird. What is the junk folder set to in Thunderbird?

Does it have a red flame icon next to it in the folder pane?

In my Thunderbird Outlook IMAP account the junk folder is called junk and is at the top level of the folder hierarchy, just like the inbox, sent and deleted folders. It is not a child folder. junk is called Junk Email, sent is called Sent Items and deleted is called Deleted Items if you use a browser and log into Outlook webmail.

What folder is the junk stored in Hotmail webmail?

Right click on the hotmail account name in the folder pane in Thunderbird, select subscribe and then press the refresh button. What folders does it list? I have Archive, Deleted, Drafts, INBOX, Junk, Notes, Outbox, and Sent.

It might help to go to tools -> account settings -> Hotmail -> server settings -> advanced and UNcheck "Show only subscribed folders". That will make Thunderbird list every folder it knows about, rather than just the subscribed folders. You might need to exit and restart Thunderbird for the change to take effect.
guzzler99

Post by guzzler99 »

Yes an IMAP account

There is no Junk folder apart from the one i created which cannot be moved to a top level, always stays as a subfolder.

No red flame

Junk in hotmail webmail stored in Junk Email

Under Subscribe the Junk folder is visible as a top level folder, but is not ticked. When i tick, subscribe then refresh the tick is removed. All other folders as per your list.
After refresh Junk folder still not there in left pane, all others showing. Why is the tick disappearing from the list under Subscribe?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Tick it and press OK (so that it will save the setting) before refreshing. Otherwise it will ignore the changes you made and get a new list of folders and subscribed folders from the IMAP server. On my PC the Notes folder was ticked, I unticked it and pressed refresh, it remained ticked. That's consistent with it not remembering the changes (unticking it) because I didn't press the OK button yet.

If that doesn't help I suggest you go to tools -> account settings -> Hotmail -> server settings -> advanced and UNcheck "Show only subscribed folders". Then restart Thunderbird.
guzzler99

Post by guzzler99 »

Thanks for that, i was refreshing before ok so was losing the tick. Now have junk folder showing correctly.
Thanks again.