Firefox ESR older versions download access

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
webmoebius

Firefox ESR older versions download access

Post by webmoebius »

I'm currently trying to locate the download location for older versions of Firefox ESR for Win-32. Normally, I could fetch Mozilla Firefox archives from:
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

However, although I located the Firefox version I wanted, this is the standard consumer release and not the ESR. Does anyone know where on the Mozilla FTP I can find Firefox ESRs? For example, looking at the older Firefox version 48.0.2, I don't specifically see a Win-32 download that identifies it as an ESR so I may have downloaded the regular version and not ESR:

https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox ... es/48.0.2/

I have already been to the Firefox ESR page here:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

but it is for downloading Firefox ESR version 60 which is not the version I want to obtain and I don't see any other links on that page to access their program archives. Thanks for any help.
Last edited by webmoebius on October 8th, 2018, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James

Re: Firefox ESR older versions download access

Post by James »

webmoebius wrote:I'm currently trying to locate the download location for older versions of Firefox ESR for Win-32. Normally, I could fetch Mozilla Firefox archives from:
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

However, although I located the Firefox version I wanted, this is the standard consumer release and not the ESR. Does anyone know where on the Mozilla FTP I can find Firefox ESRs? I have already been to the Firefox ESR page here:
I assume you are looking for say the EOL Firefox 52.9.0esr

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/rel ... esr/win32/
webmoebius

Post by webmoebius »

Actually, I just updated my original post, I'm looking for any version of 48, including 48.0 / 48.01 / 48.02. But my problem is that I'm not sure which server folder identifies it as Win-32 ESR. It would seem that only version 45 has ESR and version 48 did not have ESR. So I think the last available ESR version prior to version 48.X would be 45.X ESR. Please refer to my updated post above. Thanks.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

There was no ESR version of Firefox 48. The previous ESR was based on Firefox 45.

Why do you want an ESR version versus some other version?
James

Post by James »

webmoebius wrote:Actually, I just updated my original post, I'm looking for any version of 48, including 48.0 / 48.01 / 48.02. But my problem is that I'm not sure which server folder identifies it as Win-32 ESR. It would seem that only version 45 has ESR and version 48 did not have ESR. So I think the last available ESR version prior to version 48.X would be 45.X ESR. Please refer to my updated post above. Thanks.
There was no ESR based on 48.0. The ESR versions were based on 10.0, 17.0, 24.0, 31.0, 38.0, 45.0, 52.0 and now 60.0

Firefox 45.9.0esr (Apr 19, 2017) is actually more current and secure over the older 48.0.2 (Aug 24, 2016).

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/

The only reason why you could not use Firefox 49.0 or later versions on Windows is because the CPU you have does not support SSE2.
webmoebius

Post by webmoebius »

James wrote:There was no ESR based on 48.0. The ESR versions were based on 10.0, 17.0, 24.0, 31.0, 38.0, 45.0, 52.0 and now 60.0 The only reason why you could not use Firefox 49.0 or later versions on Windows is because the CPU you have does not support SSE2.
Yes, the SSE2 compatibility issue was the constraint at hand hence the pre-version-49.0 requirement, but since then I've also discovered that ESRs also allows unverified plug ins / extensions to be installed without being blocked, despite the fact that in the regular Firefox consumer releases, it ignores the ABOUT:CONFIG parameters that disables the plug in signatures requirements. Only ESRs will comply with that configuration switch value. So in this case, it was necessary to select the latest available non-SSE2 required ESR version, which was indeed ESR 45.9, which is what I've got installed now. In the meantime, I've also acquired the latest ESR 60.X version for other systems, though normally I am a Seamonkey user and am only using Firefox as a back up browser. That's great to know that FF-ESR 45.90 is more secure than the regular FF 49.0X.
webmoebius

Post by webmoebius »

James wrote:The only reason why you could not use Firefox 49.0 or later versions on Windows is because the CPU you have does not support SSE2.
It's too bad though that there's no way to switch off SSE2 use, because that limitation prevent some systems that are running perfectly well on Win-XP-Pro SP3 to run into an upgrade brick wall. If you're aware of any way to disable that, I'd be interested to hear of it though from what I read it's not possible.
James

Post by James »

The Linux version of Firefox did not drop SSE until 53.0 and later so Linux users had the option of using 52.9.0esr.

Pentium 4 CPU's back in the day supported SSE2 however many of the AMD CPU's in the earlier days of this period did not.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

there exist NO current firefox build for XP, neither with´or with or without SSE2. even vista is out of date. and windows 7 cant update any longer without SSE2, there is EOL of such systems right now. (ms has stopped delivering updates to windows 7 SSE cpu computers since juli or august). i consider it would concern any single core cpu.

https://hpi-vdb.de/vulndb/search/
xp+sp3 -> 551 issues
internet explorer 6 -> 1075 issues
(no notice: any program using internet or web access is using internet explorer - ofc windows do same way, dont think because you use firefox the ie6 is off the list) (ie6 is latest for xp)
makes > 1600 in total

firefox 53 -> 50 issues
firefox 49 -> 25 issues
that are only known counts in that page, mozilla fixed a lot more. but in comparison to xp it does nor matter which tooth of the butt saw hit you :D
webmoebius

Post by webmoebius »

Brummelchen wrote:there exist NO current firefox build for XP, neither with´or with or without SSE2. even vista is out of date. and windows 7 cant update any longer without SSE2, there is EOL of such systems right now. (ms has stopped delivering updates to windows 7 SSE cpu computers since juli or august). i consider it would concern any single core cpu.
Yes, this is a concern right now for some legacy systems that are otherwise running fine on Win-XP Pro SP3. Personally I've never been keen on using Firefox as my default browser since I've always used the Mozilla suite from way back, before which I was using the Netscape Communicator suite). So nowadays my default suite is Seamonkey which I prefer to have integrated mail client and other components. Currently, SM's latest release which is 2.49.4, is based off of Firefox ESR 52.9.1 for the browser portion, which is essentially the same version of Firefox ESR I'm also using, and likely the latest Thunderbird code for the mail client version. I did notice that Win-XP support was dropped since Firefox 60.X, which is too bad, so whether SM will move to a post 5X.X version as their code base is a concern going forward, even though SSE2 is not a concern of mine. I only very recently started to install Firefox due to certain extensions I needed to use which used to be written and updated for both SM and FF but some extension authors had abandoned SM. So in order to continue using certain extension's functions I was forced to install FF just for that purpose - to use some third party Mozilla extensions whose functionality I needed.
James

Post by James »

webmoebius wrote:I did notice that Win-XP support was dropped since Firefox 60.X, which is too bad, so whether SM will move to a post 5X.X version as their code base is a concern going forward
Mozilla dropped WinXP/Vista as of the Firefox 52.0 and later Releases actually. Firefox 52 ESR was the last to still run on WinXP/Vista. Any WinXP/Vista users using Firefox 51.0.x and earlier were updated to 52 ESR and not the 52.0 Release or later.

https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/53.0/releasenotes/
Windows XP and Vista are no longer supported. XP and Vista users running Firefox 52 will continue to receive security updates on Firefox ESR 52.
https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/52.0/sy ... uirements/
https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/53.0/sy ... uirements/
webmoebius

Post by webmoebius »

James wrote:Mozilla dropped WinXP/Vista as of the Firefox 52.0 and later Releases actually. Firefox 52 ESR was the last to still run on WinXP/Vista. Any WinXP/Vista users using Firefox 51.0.x and earlier were updated to 52 ESR and not the 52.0 Release or later.
Due to the over protective nature of the regular Firefox release with unverified plug ins not observing the verification required switch, I will now only use Firefox ESRs. There were some mumblings some time back about where Seamonkey would be heading and at that time going to Firefox ESRs for the code base was mentioned and now that's where SM is. I don't suppose ESR versions 5X.X will be continue to be developed as a separate branch from ESR 6X.X versions and that could mean SM's Win-XP support may also end.
James

Post by James »

Firefox 52.9.0esr released on June 26, 2018 was the last and was officially made End of Life or EOL as of Sept 5th when 62.0 and 60.2.0esr were Released. The old Firefox 52 ESR will not get any more updates for security or stability fixes.

Apart from the old Firefox 52 ESR, Firefox 52.0 and later Releases has only allowed the Flash Player Plugin from Adobe to run as no other NPAPI Plugins will run. This includes the 62 Release and current 60 ESR. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/npapi-plugins

IE is pretty much the only web browser that still supports Plugins like Java and Silverlight. Oracle has been in process of depreciating their ever vulnerable Java Plugin as Java 9 no longer has it.

Though it seems like by Plugins you are actually referring to Extensions based on the "not observing the verification required switch". NPAPI Plugins are never Firefox version dependent. Firefox 57.0 and later does not use the legacy extensions. Now that the legacy Firefox 52 ESR is EOL the legacy Extensions are being disabled on addons.mozilla.org

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2018/08 ... x-add-ons/
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Current problem may be - until developement for esr 52 has been stopped it was possible to insert code change into SM or waterfox or similar. This is no longer usable and open flaws remain. Like xp has no benefit from current patches firefox < 60esr has open flaws and are highly vulnerable. Matter is that those flaws are used and there nothing to stop it.

Me/we dont want to discourage you, only to think about.