Reinstalling Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Ric800

Reinstalling Thunderbird

Post by Ric800 »

Hi,

I have some serious problems with Thunderbird but I would like to start with the following Questions. I have had to reinstall Windows 10 as it was impossible to upgrade from Windows 10 V1709 to Windows 10 V1803. This was done by a Microsoft technician online. Obviously in the process Thunderbird was deleted. I have since reinstalled it but I am having serious problems I never had before. My questions are: By being deleted have I lost all my previous emails or are they saved somewhere on my computer because I can't find them any where. My personal files were all saved. Question 2: I think there is a conflict between my mail server, Outlook and Thunderbird. If I uninstall Thunderbird and then reinstall it, will I lose all the emails I currently have. By reinstalling I hope to fix all the other problems I have with Thunderbird.

Thanks,
DanRaisch

Re: Reinstalling Thunderbird

Post by DanRaisch »

1) You didn't way what problems you are having with Thunderbird so it's impossible to say if uninstalling and reinstalling it will resolve any of those issues. Uninstalling and reinstalling the application itself has absolutely no impact on your Profile, which is where saved data such as account settings, message files, etc is stored and where most problems originate.

2) Depending on which email protocol you had in use in Thunderbird before the Windows re-installation, your messages might still be on your hard drive or on the email provider's server.
Do you know how the account was set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP?
How is it set up now? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

It depends upon how the technician re-installed windows. The ideal way is to preserve all existing applications and just overwrite the old windows directory with new bits. That's transparent to Thunderbird. If they choose the option not to preserve existing applications when re-installing, you need to re-install Thunderbird, but your profile should still be intact. However, if the new installation changed your windows username, the profile should still exist, but it will be in a directory tree for your old windows username. So Thunderbird won't automatically find it. You need to either copy it or tell Thunderbird where it is. The worst case scenario is where they either reformat the disk as part of re-installing or they do a restore from the factory partition. That wipes everything. I wouldn't expect that to occur in your case.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_p ... hunderbird
Ric800

Post by Ric800 »

Hi,

Thanks for replying so promptly. My mail is set up as IMAP and it was set up as IMAP before I had to reinstall windows. I have checked my mail server and my previous emails are not there.

I use 3 email addresses on Thunderbird. The first one is working correctly, INBOX, DRAFTS, SENT and TRASH. The second email address was correct when I reinstalled Thunderbird but now it only has INBOX and TRASH.(Trash is now in Italics with grey letters). I cannot delete an email to trash, it doesn't work. I don't have SENT or DRAFTS. The third email has INBOX, SENT, ARCHIVES, TRASH, no DRAFTS. I also keep getting a window that pops up that says ADD SECURITY EXCEPTION which I have to confirm or cancel. I never had this problem before.

Hope you can help,

Thanks,

Ric800
Ric800

Post by Ric800 »

Hi,

I'm still having the problems mentioned above. Is there anyone one that can help with this,

Thanks,

Ric800
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Working backwards, who is the provider of that third email account?

As for the second account, make sure that you have Thunderbird set to store sent messages, drafts, etc. on the server. Check that under Tools->Account Settings->click on the "Copies & Folders" item for that second account. Also check that you are subscribed to all the folders you want to see -- https://www.liquidweb.com/kb/how-to-sub ... underbird/