SeaMonkey doesn't handle apex domain redirect (SOLVED)

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Joe1962

SeaMonkey doesn't handle apex domain redirect (SOLVED)

Post by Joe1962 »

Hi my SeaMonkey friends! I haven't posted here for a while, but have always checked the Forum regularly. Now I have a little issue that has me somewhat stumped:

Our internal DNS server (bind9) has an A record for the domain itself, redirecting to an ip address of the internal web server, something like this:

@ IN A 192.168.1.60

The way this is supposed to work is if you ping http://www.domainname.com, or domainname.com, you will always get that ip address. If you access domainname.com (without the www), on a browser, you should get the internal website hosted at that ip address, right? But SeaMonkey just quickly stops with a blank page. I did some checking and Opera gives a "This page isn’t working" mesage, however, it does work in Falkon and Firefox, showing the intended home page at http://www.domainname.com.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or by design (maybe some kind of security thing?), but I'd appreciate some feedback on this, since I'm always showing off the superiority of SeaMonkey to my Firefox and Chrome loving colleagues... :D
Last edited by DanRaisch on October 22nd, 2018, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Linux) added to subject line.
SM (usually latest stable) on Linux Mint 19 x86_64.
TPR75

Re: SeaMonkey doesn't handle apex domain redirect (Linux)

Post by TPR75 »

Joe1962 wrote:But SeaMonkey just quickly stops with a blank page. I did some checking and Opera gives a "This page isn’t working" mesage, however, it does work in Falkon and Firefox, showing the intended home page at http://www.domainname.com.
Nope! No blank page here (when there is no "www"):

Code: Select all

Address Not Found

domainname.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again.
... and for Firefox 62.x:

Code: Select all

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at domainname.com.
The same situation under Windows 7 and Linux Mint 19 (in VirtualBox). So it must be some local computer case.
--
Joe1962

Re: SeaMonkey doesn't handle apex domain redirect (SOLVED)

Post by Joe1962 »

OK, sorry for the false alarm, I had spent a whole lot of time trying to figure this out with no luck, then I it came to me when I stopped thinking about it, as usual...

The problem was the way the proxy exceptions where written, (.domainname.com), when I removed the leading dot (domainame.com), it works.I figure domainname.com was going through the proxy instead of directly, I didn't see it because there was no error message at all.

DanRaisch: I have been Forum moderator myself on Vectorlinux and appreciate your hard work, but I hadn't specified Linux because a) I figured this was an OS-agnostic issue, and b) I had tried with SeaMonkey on Windows too. Sorry i did not mention that earlier.

EDIT:
TPR75: Something weird is going on with this, since it doesn't actually behave like it is going through the proxy, nor directly, either. I tried with domainname.com, as you did (since I was only using that as a placeholder, not the real domain) and I do get error messages in both cases. Could be some kind of edge case due to the dot in front of the domain in the proxy exceptions...???
SM (usually latest stable) on Linux Mint 19 x86_64.