Quick Find Bar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Odin2

Quick Find Bar

Post by Odin2 »

I'd like to use the Quick Find Bar to find strings on a page. (I have found in the past that the regular Find Bar is a nuisance, since it must be manually dismissed, by locating and clicking a tiny x). However, contrary to the documentation at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/se ... t-or-links, my Quick Find Bar disappears almost immediately.

(I thought that perhaps this was a holdover from my pre-quantum Fx. With that Fx I used the Findbar Tweak extension to cause this very action, as I then had no use for any Fx find bar; I used Googlebar Lite for that purpose. Now however Findbar Tweak is supposed to be inoperative, and to be sure I removed it altogether, and even restarted Fx--all with no change.)

What can I do to get Quick Find Bar to operate as documented?
lasardo

Re: Quick Find Bar

Post by lasardo »

The timeout for the quick find bar by default should be 5 seconds, you can go to about:config, search for accessibility.typeaheadfind.timeout and change it to whatever timeout you like, 30000 = 30 seconds. According to the docs, this pref is for something else, but it does work for the quick find bar.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Here's how I close the (regular) Find bar:

* Ctrl+f to focus the bar
* Esc
pleasejust

Post by pleasejust »

I've always had issues with the find/quickfind bar for years. It makes no sense to have 2 different bars. There should only be one bar with all the controls on it regardless of how to initiate a find (cmd-f, type to search, etc.). Also cmd/ctrl-f, should toggle the bar. It wouldn't hurt to leave esc to get rid of it as well I guess. Also, with one universal findbar there should be an option in preferences to auto-hide the find bar to effectively make it work like the quickfind bar. This is objectively better for everyone since using f keys to find next instance of a word is annoying for mac users.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks, all.

Jscher and pleasejust, I did indeed overlook the prospect of dismissing Quick Find with ESC. That is certainly easier than clicking the x. Pleasejust's toggle idea is far superior.

Lasardo, I have implemented your helpful suggestion to change accessibility.typeaheadfind.timeout. I chose a value of 5000, which should give me plenty of time to type whatever string--and if not, of course, I can always increase it.