My experience preparing for the Firefox 57 add-on apocalypse

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
schmibble

Re: My experience preparing for the Firefox 57 add-on apocal

Post by schmibble »

@Brummel: I'm loyal to uBlock Origin--I'm assuming uMatrix only works with the fork, correct?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

uMatrix can run standalone in any firefox ;)
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

New Context Search Extension which seems to work rather well, uses installed search engines.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... h-web-ext/
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

this requires to load the mozlz4 datei (before first usage or on changes in firefox. the convenient way instead hacking them manually into another one, eg
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... al-search/
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Brummelchen wrote: the convenient way instead hacking them manu[/
Not convenient if you are going to end up with a completely different set of search engines than the ones I have chosen, is it?

People need to decide if effectiveness or mere convenience is important to them. If the latter, just don't do anything and let Mozilla do your thinking for you.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i did not try that extension. sorry. so you will say that "contextsearch-web-ex" is not fulfilling its expectations?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Brummelchen wrote:so you will say that "contextsearch-web-ex" is not fulfilling its expectations?
I'm saying this doesn't - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... al-search/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
capdjq

Post by capdjq »

Brummelchen wrote:this requires to load the mozlz4 datei (before first usage or on changes in firefox. the convenient way instead hacking them manually into another one, eg
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... al-search/
I've got 30 personal Search sites. This add on works perfectly exactly like in my ESR Version. With the exception of the Calender add on FF 58 is beginning, for me, very livable.
mikezilla2

Post by mikezilla2 »

how much Api progress has been made with the recent updates ?
Maahi Kapoor

Post by Maahi Kapoor »

Are there any other alternatives? Not updating Firefox is not accepted, I want to use a supported and updated (security wise at least) release.

Maybe one day WebExtension platform will be complete and all Add-Ons will be ported to it (This is myself who keep dreaming): then I will switch back to the main Firefox Release.

Thanks in advance. I hope I am not writing a redundant post.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

I hope I am not writing a redundant post.
ofc - this forum is full with pointless voices - its like struwwel kaspar "no , i wont use any current firefox, no no no" :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytIQyyFSVHk
btw your chrome is also outdated, nevermind.
greybeard2012

Post by greybeard2012 »

I've literally just had this crap imposed without any warning to my Firefox v54 which I've deliberately not been updating because of the threat of this sort of thing but now it has anyway.

The loss of AddBlockPlus because its not signed is just mental - I'm now getting unwanted ads on all pages including this which are far more threat to my PC than anything else. They also slow it down. BTW the update option provided did not work and when I tried to update from their own web site the install was "failed" apparently because the download was "corrupt" or there is a "problem with your connection". That is what I'm getting if I try to install any of the alternatives as well.

This stinks not only of an extension disabling enforcement but also a Firefox update enforcement too.

I will also lose Classic Theme Restorer and StatusBarForever on reboot which pretty much defines my whole Firefox GUI. The favicon-customizer I've used for a few web sites which do not have their own bookmark icons is also going. :(

Is there anything I can do at this point to stop these self-serving, highhanded, disingenuous impositions from ruining my browser?

I checked to make sure and I already have the about:config xpinstall.signatures.required setting as false yet these changes are still apparently being forced on me.
Last edited by greybeard2012 on May 5th, 2019, 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

yet these changes are still apparently being forced on me
because both is different and there aint no fix for your ancient version. and my guess is - there wont one. search for dickvl - maybe you can apply his solution.
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p
greybeard2012

Post by greybeard2012 »

Thanks for the reply.

I've found a temporary solution - use a restore point which, luckily, I put in only yesterday. But how long before the update is imposed again?

The loss of AdBlock+ is particularly intolerable. Just in the 20 minutes I was using FF with those Add-Ons disabled all those annoying flashing intrusive ads which slow FF down on my machine returned too pretty much ruined my browsing experience. This is meant to be to improve security but they've vandalise FF in the process.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

adblock has turned to quantum, where is the real problem now?