Do you think Firefox 57 helped or hurt Firefox?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
frg

Re: Do you think Firefox 57 helped or hurt Firefox?

Post by frg »

Vivaldi seems to not make the latest sources available https://vivaldi.com/source/ so I am still thinking Chromium would be my choice if SeaMonkey can no longer be maintained.

Brave seems also be up to date wrt source:
https://github.com/brave/brave-browser

Unfortunately I dislike all the modern minimalistic ui's so no winner.

Getting back on the Firefox track. Per stats Fx lost about 20 to 25% of it's users after quantum.The spiel was that stats didn't reflect the true numbers but they must be at least semi accurate because I see a sharp drop after macOS 10.14 was released where Fx needed an emergency release to fix it. Quantum is the Pentium 4 for me. Some great things but a dead end. No longer care about anything post Gecko 60 with recent removals (bookmark descriptions, rss, much xbl among the most visiblt to a dev) and even 60 is a mess.

FRG
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

frg wrote:Vivaldi seems to not make the latest sources available https://vivaldi.com/source/ so I am still thinking Chromium would be my choice if SeaMonkey can no longer be maintained.
Why are they releasing source code like they work on Android? They don't have a git like the rest of the modern world?
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

only p[lace i dont use firefox an thats on the Mobile Phone. i only use Chrome there
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I'm on 52.9esr, and I know it's not going to be secure. I have some vital extensions and css tweaks that I don't want to lose. And I see the menu bar is gone too. Looks like Chrome, all the functions hidden. Are they allowing a bookmark bar?

OTOH, I used WinXP Pro carefully for 3 years after the security updates ceased, and I kept it safe. I quit only when my work required Win7.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

This is interesting though I'm not sure I fully agree with it. But I get that people want to extend XP and Firefox 52 support

https://msfn.org/board/topic/177881-moz ... #comment-1
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Forcing mozilla to extend period until april 2019 when pos2009 finally is eol? Not really. Pos-patches on another base ever was questionable. Not to mention the rest of surrounding outdated products...
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

UAC on Win 7 is a nightmare, and I still love XP, but I'm not using it. Petition has13 signatures, so it's not going to happen.
Mz didn't care about dropping XUL, certainly doesn't care about XP.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

The Firefox loss of market share looks roughly linear for the last 2 years. Quantum release was about a year ago. The rate of loss looks no better or worse after Quantum. I think Firefox quality is great, I think one of the main reasons people are using Chrome is to sync with Chrome on their phones. I believe it is very important that there be multiple popular browser rendering engines, to avoid the way things were when sites were "best viewed with IE" . If sites don't design and test for Firefox since Firefox market share is too low, that will be a sad day.