(Resolved) Menu will not display with latest version.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

(Resolved) Menu will not display with latest version.

Post by dfoulkes »

First... I took the dive and updated my old ESR to the latest Quantum ESR version... and what a headache getting only minor 'stuff' back to the way I want it... You know, if any other manufacture of a product did what Moz did... they would be out of business... my take anyway.

So, with all that said I can not get the Menu bar to display...even though it's checked off on the right-click function up there on the top. Only about 4 of my previous extensions made it to the new version ... and a ton of them did not.

So what I've done.

1. Ticked and UN-ticked the option to get it active.

2. Thinking that prefs.js records from my old extensions may be the issue I spent hours cleaning those dead records out. Probably not all of them though.

3. Started up in safe-mode and the bar was displayable.

4. Checking on the specifics of what safe-mode does, other than disable extensions, I see where localstore if corrupted can causes a problem and safe-mode does not use it... I went to trade it out with a copy from a working profile and see that that file is no longer used.

5. I disabled all extensions and themes and the problem still exists.

6. I searched the prefs.js file for stuff like 'menu, disable, show, don't, enable' and what was listed did not look like it relates...but of course I could be missing something.

7. I sure would 'not' want to have to create a new profile and move lots of stuff over...but in the end-it may be the only answer unless one of you wizards out there comes up with an idea of what setting/record may be screwed up.

Thanks ALL.
Last edited by dfoulkes on November 2nd, 2018, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
lasardo

Re: Menu will not display with latest version.

Post by lasardo »

Safe mode disables userChrome.css - if you have a custom userChrome.css you could try renaming it so it is not used. Or the customize screen has a restore defaults button that might help - after restoring defaults then turn the menu toolbar on.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Thanks for the idea... I renamed the Chrome folder out of the way and started up Firefox ... no fix doing that.

As for the the 'restore' default' function. In my reading about details with respect to that option a user loses all extensions etc... I don't want to do that at this time.
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

That is the effect of the reset or refresh firefox option. I meant the "restore defaults" button on the customize toolbar https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cu ... d-toolbars that moves icons around and hides toolbars and removes the icons for extensions into the customize window, but does not have any large effects.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

The replacement for localstore.rdf is xulstore.json so you could rename that file so Firefox is forced to generate a new one.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Menu will not display with latest version.
reading the headline will tell me firefox 63, but you speak of "latest esr", nevermind
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

jscher2000 wrote:The replacement for localstore.rdf is xulstore.json so you could rename that file so Firefox is forced to generate a new one.
Welllll.. that was easy...assuming 'one' knows the tricks of the trade as you do. Worked perfectly.

I wonder why if went bad since it was a new file with this new version.

Thank you very much.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Hi dfoulkes, xulstore.json isn't new to Firefox 63, I think it's been around since some time in the 40s. However, it keeps changing (for example, because of popup dialogs moving into content overlays on the Options page), so any time things have the wrong size/position, a corrupted xulstore.json file is a potential culprit.
dfoulkes

Re: (Resolved) Menu will not display with latest version.

Post by dfoulkes »

Got it...thanks!
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

[quote="dfoulkes"
Welllll.. that was easy...assuming 'one' knows the tricks of the trade as you do. Worked perfectly.

I wonder why if went bad since it was a new file with this new version.

Thank you very much.[/quote]

You actually got back the MENU BAR??!! How about the bookmark bar? May we see a screenshot?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

dfoulkes: "You know, if any other manufacture of a product did what Moz did... they would be out of business... my take anyway"

Microsoft is still in business and thriving.

It's the extensions that keep me from updating. Custom Buttons is totally impossible in WebEx. :( :(

Are you sure some of your extensions don't have substitutes with other names?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

LoveMyFoxy wrote: You actually got back the MENU BAR??!! How about the bookmark bar? May we see a screenshot?
The bookmarks bar never had the issue.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:dfoulkes: "You know, if any other manufacture of a product did what Moz did... they would be out of business... my take anyway"

Microsoft is still in business and thriving.

It's the extensions that keep me from updating. Custom Buttons is totally impossible in WebEx. :( :(

Are you sure some of your extensions don't have substitutes with other names?
RE: ... your post about Microsoft... yeah, but with new versions they didn't 'take away' what the user had set up... they just added more useless crap to the OS and other products. I had about 20 perfectly running extensions including Custom Buttons (a great addon) ... and 18 of those exts. got disabled... In the big picture is OK that Moz did the release to kill off all those exts. but the issue as I see it is that for many years they promoted Firefox as being able to install extensions that would provide the user with tools to make the end-product as 'they the user' wanted it... and that is what I had. But, in producing the new Firefox Moz basically said... all that is gone now... tough luck... because it seems that they did not take the time or effort to ensure that their prior marketing-talk of good extensions got developed prior to the release of Quantum.

As for looking for extensions that would 'match' stuff that I had before... I checked and found a couple that were close, but not as good.... but found 'zero' exts. that gave me what I had.... like Noia buttons..etc.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:

You actually got back the MENU BAR??!! How about the bookmark bar? May we see a screenshot?

Sorry about the size...I took the shot and sent it to my pic-host and this is what I got... could not find a resize function on their
site.
Last edited by James on November 4th, 2018, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: made as thumbnail link to full size image as image was too large for IMG tags at 1,600px x 900px
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I would have D/L the pic from pic-host, resized it in Irfanview or whatever you use, re-uploaded it. It's stretching my picture past my TV, over my other desk, and out the window.
It bumped into my cat too. ;-)

I have 25 extensions, including 51 Custom Buttons, 43 for particular web pages, 8 for functions :-(

Are you aware that CodeFisher did find a solution for his buttons?
https://codefisher.org/news/2017/10/06/ ... r-buttons/ My 8 CB functions can be redone in the new Toolbar Buttons.
And I was thinking on turning the remaining 43 CB for web pages, into the first, most accessible folder of my bookmarks.

That leaves 23 extensions and dozens of css codes. There's so much confusing talk on this site, that I don't know if someone found a solution for the css tweaks.

(Thanks for standing up for me against that naysayer a few days ago.)