Last, dependable, stable version for Windows XP SP3?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
mslisaj

Re: Last, dependable, stable version for Windows XP SP3?

Post by mslisaj »

ginahoy wrote:@Lisa, I had (have) the same issues and concerns. My 10-year-old XP SP3 machine has lots of software that won't port to newer O/S's, and some of the software I rely on for my job is no longer produced. I've been running 52.6.0 ESR for the past year or so (I wasn't aware of 52.9.0 ESR), but even though my XP machine is finely tuned and maxed out in terms of hardware of that vintage, browsing definitely sucks. So I built a new machine (the one I'm using now) for browsing and do most everything else on the XP machine. It still kicks ass for everything except browsing. To the extent that I need to exchange files between machines, I can drag and drop via my local network. If I'm working on the XP machine and need to access the web for something quick, I can still use FF52 for that. But I'm quickly reminded why I built a new machine!

BTW, I'm done with Windows, so my new machine runs Linux, something I should have done years ago. I installed extra RAM (32GB) and CPU horsepower (i7700K) so I can (eventually) run my XP partition in a virtual machine under Linux (my XP hardware isn't going to last forever!) and free up some desk space. As it turns out, restoring a live OS image in a VM is NOT for the faint of heart, which is why a year later, I still haven't gotten around to setting it up. In the meantime, I maintain an inventory of spare parts for the XP machine (mobo, CPU, graphics card, RAM, etc), and make frequent image backups of my XP partition (Acronis TrueImage 9).

"Ginahoy" thank you for your response here. I appreciate you sharing your experience with your XP machine and while I don't have "that many" older programs the two that I depend on I can't lose. My XP machine is probably about 7 or 8 years old and it was a refurb and it was a big step up for me when I got it. I personally don't need all the speed and pizazz or the new OS's and my little XP works for me; I just hate the fact that programers write these old system out of existence. In the next day or two when I have the time I will install the 52.9.0ESR over the top of my old FF and hope for the best.

I have an iPad that is my "new" computer but I hate the iOS and the forced updates. I have been a DOS/Windows person from the beginning. But I have friends that have Windows 10 machines and they hate them. I've sat in front of them and have trouble finding anything. I do like your idea of a Linux machine and may just go to a shop and pay to have one built for me. Then I will keep up on that OS and learn and get comfortable with that system. But again I am glad to hear from you as there are people like us that are kind of trapped with the XP.

Again thank you for your time and your thoughts.

Lisa
mslisaj

Post by mslisaj »

Thank you Rochelle for your support. As I mentioned 30 years ago I would have dived into this but now I'm just timid for change. As I mentioned a few years ago I attempted to update FF and it kind of was a disaster and I was lucky to be able to get back to this old system that has worked so well for a long time. I will update update to the 52.9.0ESR as you all here on this forum have been extremely supportive to just do it. As you said this will be "a first step toward upgrade" of my entire system. As "ginahoy" pointed out in the post above they have gone to a Linux system and moved away from Windows all together. I'll keep my XP running as long as I can but I will upgrade to another totally new machine for the browsing aspect of the necessary computing I have to do.

I'll be back to let everyone know of my experience with the newer Firefox.

Thank you again for your response.

Lisa
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

@ginahoy--can you buy machines with Linux already installed?

@mslisaj--and you know that security updates stopped 5 years ago. I kept mine 3 years past that, but I had to stop going to sites with, um, shady software. You need to be careful what you click on.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
James

Post by James »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:@ginahoy--can you buy machines with Linux already installed?
Many places listed at say https://linuxpreloaded.com/

Many Linux distros will work as good or better support compared to current Windows on hardware that has been around for a bit so you do not really need to get a pre built system made for Linux in mind.

It is generally the very new Intel or AMD CPU's that may not work or fully work without issues until say newer Kernels and recent motherboard BIOS updates and such were used. For example the AMD Ryzen 5 2400G and Ryzen 3 2200G had issues on Linux at launch until newer BIOS, Kernel 4.17 and newest AMD driver components and such used.
mslisaj

Post by mslisaj »

@mslisaj--and you know that security updates stopped 5 years ago. I kept mine 3 years past that, but I had to stop going to sites with, um, shady software. You need to be careful what you click on.
The reason I have been able to use such an old version of Firefox for so long is I don't "surf" the internet. I'm going back to the same sites time and time again. If I have to look at anything "off the reservation" so to speak I'll use the iPad or my cell phone as they are both disposable to a virus if I hit anything like that. Email the same way. No attachments for me on my desktop so the security updates haven't been an issue. Plus my exposure to the internet is very limited timewise. I connect, do my business and disconnect.

But again I'm not downplaying the risks, I understand that and all great points have been made here to update my computer and OS and I plan to do that soon.
mslisaj

Post by mslisaj »

To all of you fine folks that literally held my hand while I pressed the update key - THANK YOU!!!
The update went smoothly and everything appears to be working just fine. There are some new looks but this is expected but the pages that were secured with HTTPS that wouldn't load before are doing just fine now.

Again I can't THANK YOU ALL ENOUGH!! Your advice was perfect and I'm updated for now. And yes this will lead to a new computer with a new OS. I have bought myself some time and I'll start to pursue maybe a Linux system that could possibly run the three 32 bit programs I have and I would be happy. But you folks pushed me enough and shared your experiences with you gear to make me want to look at newer options.

Thank you all so much.

Best regards,

Lisa
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Did you turn the updates off now, so it won't update to v.60?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
mslisaj

Post by mslisaj »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:Did you turn the updates off now, so it won't update to v.60?
Good call Foxy but the update install picked up all my old settings and I have had auto updates turned off for a long time. But I did check and was amazed to find all my old settings still in place.

Thanks again for the tip.

Best regards,

Lisa
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Yes, it uses the profile you already have, which is not in the Program Files folder, but in your Windows User folder. That's what gets backed up when you back up. Your profiles has all your bookmarks, history, color scheme, theme, passwords if you use them, and other preference settings.
I've had the same profile through 4 computers, it just gets changed slightly wit each version of FF.
Last edited by lovemyfoxy on November 6th, 2018, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:Did you turn the updates off now, so it won't update to v.60?
On a Windows XP machine, I do not believe that Firefox will/can update to v60. According to James' post on the first page, 52.9ESR is the end of the road for updates on WinXP, anything newer requires at least Win7.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
James

Post by James »

It depends as there was the mistake of sending updates to Tb 60.3.0 to Windows XP/Vista users today before being fixed.
dapgo

Post by dapgo »

An alternative to official Firefox is to use a Firefox fork focused in win32/winXP, some are still supported or have recent version with additional security patches.

These browsers are forks of other Firefox forks; such as Palemoon or Basilisk
https://bloglon.blogspot.com/2018/09/fu ... dware.html
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my- ... /?page=120

James wrote:The 32-bit Firefox 52.9.0 ESR was the last version that still ran on the old EOL WinXP (and Vista) and was officially made EOL as of Sept 5th with no more updates for security or allowed stability fixes. Firefox 52.0 Release and later requires Windows 7, 8 (8.1), 10.

If you want to have a more current Firefox then you need Windows 7 or later or say dual boot with one of the fewer light Linux distros that still supports the ancient 32-bit CPU's like Lubuntu or Xubuntu among some others.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

You need to bump an 8 month old threat to plug that crap?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Locking this due to old age.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)