Installing to new directory

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bchan

Installing to new directory

Post by bchan »

Hello all, I am using version 52.9 and am thinking of trying out the latest version (62). I want to keep my existing profile. If after downloading v. 62 I tell Thunderbird to install to a new directory, would it be intelligent enough to use my profile for 52.9 and continue the installation? If not, what adjustments do I need to make?

If later I am happy to use solely v. 62 can I simply delete the folder for v. 52.9 and that is it?

Sorry for asking this, I just haven't tried installing to a new folder before.

Thanks.
tanstaafl

Re: Installing to new directory

Post by tanstaafl »

"I want to keep my existing profile. If after downloading v. 62 I tell Thunderbird to install to a new directory, would it be intelligent enough to use my profile for 52.9 and continue the installation?"

Yes. I have three versions of Thunderbird sharing the same profile. All I had to do was use custom setup to install them in different directories. 60.2.1 (not 62) is the latest production release.

"can I simply delete the folder for v. 52.9 and that is it?"
You should uninstall it normally, not just delete the folder. The reason being that each installed version is considered a seperate application as far as windows is concerned.
bchan

Post by bchan »

tanstaafl, thank you for your reply and guidance. I presume after installing the new version to a different directory I will have two desktop icons called Thunderbird and I will have to change their names to differentiate them?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes. Right click on the icon for the shortcut, right click on the current name in the popup, select Properties, select the General tab, edit the name (its by the icon) and then press the OK button.

I suggest you also select a different icon in one of the shortcuts as the name isn't displayed until you hover the mouse over the icon for a second or two. You can do that in the Shortcut tab in Properties.
bchan

Post by bchan »

Very clear explanation, and good suggestion too. Thanks a lot!