[SOLVED] Firefox screws up my ActiveBoard forum

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
MomAries

Re: Firefox screws up my ActiveBoard forum

Post by MomAries »

MomAries wrote:
RobertJ wrote:
MomAries wrote:I am curious though WHY I did not have to turn the Protection off when I had FF v. 59-60 installed???
This is an "improved" feature in FF63

:lol: I like your sarcasm RobertJ. I wish it was NOT improved like this. Created so many troubles. :(
The only issue left unsolved is hyperlinks... They are still not working and I have to manually adjust the URL's to make them clickable. Any thoughts on this??
You are very knowledgeable, RobertJ. May be you can figure out how to solve this problem too??? :-)
Last edited by MomAries on November 3rd, 2018, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many thanks to all the folks who help me with my problems.
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

Everything works fine except hyperlinks. Hyperlinks are still not working. I have to manually adjust to make them clickable. Pretty annoying. LOL What else do you know about Firefox, RobertJ? :) Please see what else I can do on my forum to make them work.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

MomAries wrote:Everything works fine except hyperlinks. Hyperlinks are still not working. I have to manually adjust to make them clickable.
What do you mean by "manually adjust"??

Is there any publicly available page that demonstrates this problem?
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

jscher2000 wrote:
MomAries wrote:Everything works fine except hyperlinks. Hyperlinks are still not working. I have to manually adjust to make them clickable.
What do you mean by "manually adjust"??

Is there any publicly available page that demonstrates this problem?
No, unfortunately no publicly available page. However there is a link button on our forum's tool bar that has the same purpose as "URL" button here on this forum. What I do is this:
1) Highlight URL and copy, 2) Press on this Link button for the new window, 3) Paste URL into the provided window, 4) Click OK.
That is manual fix to make the link clickable. And I have to do it with EVERY link on a posted article. Yes, its a pain, but what can I do?? I want the users to be able to click and go directly to the article.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Those links on the toolbar work for me and tell me I need to log in or create an account. Have you tried them in Safe Mode?

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

RobertJ wrote:.
Those links on the toolbar work for me and tell me I need to log in or create an account. Have you tried them in Safe Mode?

RobertJ, this is a link button on tool bar I was talking about. I used it only for fixing the hyperlinks.
I don't need to log in: the forum's system remembers my cookies and logs me in automatically.

I still think it would be a good idea if we could attach an image to the post. :)
Last edited by MomAries on November 5th, 2018, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

dickvl wrote:See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum

Did you try the links in Firefox Safe Mode?
What code is used for the links?
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Too ... _Inspector

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... protection
https://support.mozill to check the other problemsa.org/en-US/kb/content-blocking
I did run FF in Safe Mode to check other problems. I did not pay attention on the links. I am sorry I don't follow your statement " what code is used for the links?". The links are the articles' links, as a reference, posted by our users.
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

My reading of the problem - A user is making a new post on that site, using an editor field which is rich or has advanced features. Instead of being a simple box, it has options to make text bold or post a clickable link. In the past, this rich text, probably javascript editor would automatically see and convert anything that looks like www.blah or perhaps http://blah into a link. Now, in Firefox that autolinking is not happening.

Without a login to the site, this will be hard for helpers to test. As for screenshots, it is possible to get a screenshot seen on this forum, although as you know attachments are blocked. For future reference: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum

If you use a different browser to make a post now on the board, do website addresses still automatically turn into links without clicking the link button? What I mean is, do we know nothing has changed on the site itself?
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

lasardo wrote:My reading of the problem - A user is making a new post on that site, using an editor field which is rich or has advanced features. Instead of being a simple box, it has options to make text bold or post a clickable link. In the past, this rich text, probably javascript editor would automatically see and convert anything that looks like http://www.blah or perhaps http://blah into a link. Now, in Firefox that autolinking is not happening.

Without a login to the site, this will be hard for helpers to test. As for screenshots, it is possible to get a screenshot seen on this forum, although as you know attachments are blocked. For future reference: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum

If you use a different browser to make a post now on the board, do website addresses still automatically turn into links without clicking the link button? What I mean is, do we know nothing has changed on the site itself?
You are correct - this is what it is - autolinking is not happening. However it did work fine with versions 59, or 60. After v. 60 every next FF version did not produce working links.

I know that without login in to the site it's difficult to test. I am sorry but its a private forum. I sent a link in private to moderator RobertJ. He can use the link to test my forum if he needs to.
If you can help and test my forum for the hyperlinks I can send you a URL in private. But I don't know if you can log in as a guest. May be yes, may be yes, may be not.
If you honestly can help testing I can assign a temporary login for you.
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

I don't think I know much about fixing the problem, but hopefully someone else will. Also perhaps there is a way to contact activeboard or the service provider implementing it.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

I'm not surprised that you need to use a link button to create a link. What's interesting is that there's ALSO a script which finds plain text URLs and makes them into links when they are viewed or previewed (not during compose).

If you load this example in a regular window with Tracking Protection turned off, and no add-ons blocking scripts from viglink.com, you'll see a script linkifies the URL after a moment:

https://jscher2000.activeboard.com/t650 ... tiveboard/

If you load the page into a private window with Tracking Protection enabled, or if it's blocked by NoScript, then the URL is not linkified; it remains plain text.

I don't know why they do it that way, presumably for better user tracking.

P.S. I couldn't get registered to post on their "Example" forum so I had to create my own. Not my favorite software.
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

lasardo wrote:I don't think I know much about fixing the problem, but hopefully someone else will. Also perhaps there is a way to contact activeboard or the service provider implementing it.
I 've already reported the problem to the ActiveBoard "official" tech. support awhile ago. They still did not fix it.
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

jscher2000 wrote:I'm not surprised that you need to use a link button to create a link. What's interesting is that there's ALSO a script which finds plain text URLs and makes them into links when they are viewed or previewed (not during compose).

If you load this example in a regular window with Tracking Protection turned off, and no add-ons blocking scripts from viglink.com, you'll see a script linkifies the URL after a moment:

If you load the page into a private window with Tracking Protection enabled, or if it's blocked by NoScript, then the URL is not linkified; it remains plain text.

P.S. I couldn't get registered to post on their "Example" forum so I had to create my own. Not my favorite software.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. I am a bit familiar with FF's add-on NoScript. I used to have it installed. But as I recall it has created some problems and I removed it.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

MomAries wrote:
jscher2000 wrote:I'm not surprised that you need to use a link button to create a link. What's interesting is that there's ALSO a script which finds plain text URLs and makes them into links when they are viewed or previewed (not during compose).

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. I am a bit familiar with FF's add-on NoScript. I used to have it installed. But as I recall it has created some problems and I removed it.
OK, so NoScript isn't a factor for you. Please report on your testing:

(A) When you **view** my test thread, where I did not manually make the URLs into links when I composed the posts, is the linkification script running for you and making the bare URLs into clickable links?

(B) If that does not happen, have you checked whether Firefox's Content Blocking/Tracking Protection is blocking content in that tab? If you see that feature's shield icon at the left end of the address bar, try making an exception so the script can run. Success or failure?

(C) If failure, can you think of any add-ons that might be blocking the script (e.g., ad blockers, tracking blockers, etc.)? If so try making a temporary exception for the page so all scripts can run. Any difference?