BAN from FF website

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
MozillaMonkey

BAN from FF website

Post by MozillaMonkey »

I was just about to log in when up comes this FF screen notifying me that my IP address has been banned from logging into FF website until 2020, mid-year!

WTF??????
James

Re: BAN from FF website

Post by James »

There is no Firefox website as Firefox is the name of the web browser that the company Mozilla makes.

If you mean on forums.mozillaZine.org and you were still able to log in then it was a gremlin that lurks.
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

James wrote:There is no Firefox website as Firefox is the name of the web browser that the company Mozilla makes.

If you mean on forums.mozillaZine.org and you were still able to log in then it was a gremlin that lurks.
I took a screenshot of the message.

"You have been banned from the board until Oct 30, 2020, 10:00 pm
If you believe this is an error, please try closing your browser and clearing your cache.

If you still have an issue...

A ban has been issued on your IP address.

Can you make heads or tails of that?
Never been banned before.
James

Post by James »

Again if you were able to still view the forum and login then the IP was not really banned as it was a Gremlin. I checked the IP ban list and none of the five different IP ranges you posted here with are in list.

I myself rarely ban IP's as it can potentially block legit people however the IP's I have banned in last while were due to guest spamming and even then it was for say two or three weeks at most.

And to be more clear that the *.mozillaZIne.org site is independent and not a part of nor run by Mozilla (existed since 1998) as Mozilla has their own support site at support.mozilla.org
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

James wrote:Again if you were able to still view the forum and login then the IP was not really banned as it was a Gremlin.
Thanks James.
I'm familiar with the concept of computer viruses etc., but not Gremlins.
Can you please briefly explain how they work?
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

MozillaMonkey wrote:I'm familiar with the concept of computer viruses etc., but not Gremlins.
Can you please briefly explain how they work?
Simply put, the Gremlin (we call him George) is merely faulty logic in the forum software that on occasion will display the U R BANNED message. Most of the time you can simply log in per usual, sometimes you need to flush your cache and cookies. As James mentioned, if you were truly banned, you would not be able to log in. Don't overthink this one...
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.