Search bar or links in a page won't open a new tab

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
videobruce

Search bar or links in a page won't open a new tab

Post by videobruce »

Using either the traditional Search bar (placed after the navigation bar replacing a icon that did open a new tab (since it had to) or
(left) clicking on links in web pages that take you out of the site or,
simply clinking on bookmarks doesn't open a new tab, in spite of having it set to do so. The existing page is used.

Under: Preferences/Browser/Link behavior/Link open behavior, I have "A new tab in the current window" checked. The same goes for "Links from other applications".
Under; Tabbed browsing, there doesn't seem any check box can have a handle on this.

The only time I wouldn't want a new tab to open is when I'm in a site (a forum like this) where links direct you elsewhere in that site. :wink:
Last edited by videobruce on November 8th, 2018, 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
ElTxolo

Re: Search bar or links in a page won't open a new tab

Post by ElTxolo »

• Image Edit > Preferences > Browser > Tabbed Browsing > [x] Middle-Click, Ctrl+Click or Ctrl+Enter open links on new tabs

In about:config change browser.search.openintab to true

How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

Thanks for the reply.

The 1st is "Open tabs instead of windows" with those 3 click entries (none of which include the standard "left click"), there is no "new" (it was checked),
the 2nd was set that way, but there is no "new" there either.

So this is another 'out of the norm' function issue. What's with the anti 'left click' deal here? What makes matters more illogical is, it's the same 'family'. The dozen or so browsers I have ever used or tried in the past almost 20 years, left click got the job done. It seems middle click & left click should be swapped. Why would you not want existing tabs to stay open (other than an excessive number were open)?? They can always be closed later. :roll:

Unless there is something I missing here. [-(
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

In addition to changing the setting browser.search.openintab, I believe you also need to use the Return key to submit the search terms instead of clicking the magnifying glass image in the search bar to get a new tab.
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

Thanks for the reply.
Ok, that works, which really puzzles me as I thought I was doing/did that (from years of habit). #-o