How to Downgrade from 60.3? Update is Disappointing

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Hey Man

Re: How to Downgrade from 60.3? Update is Disappointing

Post by Hey Man »

tanstaafl wrote:
Hey Man wrote:If they are going to bother launching a new version at all - why not just get feedback from a majority of TB users through surveys, etc over a year let's say and launch a new email service featuring all the best aspects of TB without the crap that have endlessly frustrated people. Stop relying on Mozilla immediately. Rebrand and give people what they want.
Not creating a new major version (after Mozilla stopped funding development) would have eventually killed the project. Look at Eudora for example. Even its support forums are gone. Funding was also a big issue for a long time. Initially the Thunderbird Council didn't get much money from donations.

They rejected the idea of creating a Thunderbird Foundation. Instead they looked at creating a legal/fiscal home with either the Software Freedom Conservancy (SFC), the Document Foundation (TDF), or making a new deal with the Mozilla Foundation. They chose the later because it would supposedly make it easier to deal with certain pain points such as build/release, localization, and divergent plans with respect to add-ons. I wish they had chosen differently.

They argued for over two years about creating a new version of Thunderbird that used different technologies, while still remaining "Thunderbird". They never reached a decision or a consensus. There has also been several changes in leadership, which didn't help. They hired a technical manager in August. Hopefully that will eventually improve things.
Fair enough. Was TB just not financially worthwhile for Mozilla to continue? They didn't want to compete with Hotmail/Outlook, Gmail, etc?

If you don't mind me asking - can you possibly address the font issue that a few people seem to be having with this update. I am assuming that since you are a mod, you know how to solve these problems quickly. Unless I have misunderstood the role of mod and it's not about knowing TB like the back of your hand, but is more about keeping order here.

Is there a way to get the font size to be the exact same consistently - when it comes to sending and receiving email. It used to be like that with the previous version, but now after fixing my composing issue, I am still having a receiving issue as the font size is still reduced.

My specific issue is here with an image that I just posted:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3043484

Thank you so much.
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

tanstaafl wrote:Mozilla gets paid for setting the default search provider in Firefox. Thunderbird inherits some limitations due to using software provided by Mozilla (the Mozilla toolkit) that is Firefox-centric. AFAIK all of Thunderbird's funds are from donations.

The Create our own, or Clone Firefox's , user interface to allow users to modify open search providers bug report has somebody working on it, who has submitted a preliminary patch. No idea when it will be ready or what release it would be included in.
I'm confused. Before you said TB wont use google because of mozilla toolkit. Now youre saying theyre working on a patch. Would you clarify this?
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

wsmwk wrote:
zlaer wrote:But Mozilla should seriously stop being paid by bing to get it to remove google from TB.
Mozilla gets paid for it's Firefox Bing deal. Thunderbird does not.
Sure they dont. Keep believing that.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Hey Man wrote: My specific issue is here with an image that I just posted: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3043484
BuddhaNature seemed to be doing a good job helping you in that thread. But let me take a closer look. However, If I can help I'll do it in the other thread.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

zlaer wrote:
wsmwk wrote:
zlaer wrote:But Mozilla should seriously stop being paid by bing to get it to remove google from TB.
Mozilla gets paid for it's Firefox Bing deal. Thunderbird does not.
Sure they dont. Keep believing that.
wsmwk (Wayne Mery) is on the Thunderbird Council (the governing body for Thunderbird). He would know.
Hey Man

Post by Hey Man »

tanstaafl wrote:
Hey Man wrote: My specific issue is here with an image that I just posted: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3043484
BuddhaNature seemed to be doing a good job helping you in that thread. But let me take a closer look. However, If I can help I'll do it in the other thread.
Thank you very much. We both seem to be having much of the same problem. BuddhaNature's fix isn't across the board when it comes to composing and receiving and we both still have the same problem when replying to past emails - the reduced font size won't change. In the reading pane either when it comes to the inbox/sent box.

I want the font size to be the same when it comes to sending and receiving like it used to be prior to the update. As you can see the font size is smaller in the reply.

I look forward to your assistance in the other thread. I am really basic knowledge here when it comes to this stuff.
Last edited by Hey Man on November 10th, 2018, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

zlaer wrote:I'm confused. Before you said TB wont use google because of mozilla toolkit. Now youre saying theyre working on a patch. Would you clarify this?
See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3037139

Its just a bug, caused by changes in the Mozilla toolkit, not a deliberate decision by a Thunderbird developer to remove a feature. The bug was caused by the Mozilla toolkit removing the ability to add a search provider by dropping a XML file in the appropriate directory in the profile. The patch is meant to get that feature working again, hopefully in a way that is less likely to break as they change the Mozilla toolkit again.
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

tanstaafl wrote:
zlaer wrote:I'm confused. Before you said TB wont use google because of mozilla toolkit. Now youre saying theyre working on a patch. Would you clarify this?
See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3037139

Its just a bug, caused by changes in the Mozilla toolkit, not a deliberate decision by a Thunderbird developer to remove a feature. The bug was caused by the Mozilla toolkit removing the ability to add a search provider by dropping a XML file in the appropriate directory in the profile. The patch is meant to get that feature working again, hopefully in a way that is less likely to break as they change the Mozilla toolkit again.
Do you have an ETA as to when the patch will roll out into the next update? Do you suggest we wait for the patch before we attempt to use the workaround you suggested?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I repeat my statement that I have "No idea when it will be ready or what release it would be included in." I suggest you experiment with the workaround.
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

tanstaafl wrote:I repeat my statement that I have "No idea when it will be ready or what release it would be included in." I suggest you experiment with the workaround.
Very good. Thank you!