Incoming Mail Problem

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
orealius

Incoming Mail Problem

Post by orealius »

Since upgrading to 60.3 all my incoming mail is going straight into my "unread" folder. Is this a glitch?...or am I missing a setting?

Thanks
tanstaafl

Re: Incoming Mail Problem

Post by tanstaafl »

This is a IMAP account?
You aren't using view -> folders -> unread, there really is a "unread" folder?
If you log into webmail using a browser does the new mail show up in the inbox or unread folder?
Does this problem also occur in safe mode (help -> restart with add-ons disabled)?
What version did you upgrade from? i.e. what was the last version that didn't have this problem?

Check whether your inbox folder is corrupt. That can sometimes cause a new message to show up in the wrong folder. Typical signs are bogus time/date stamps, fragmented message, and deleted messages being resurrected.
orealius

Post by orealius »

Thank you for replying. Sorry about the redundant posts.

This is a POP account and the major account on TB. There are 3 other accounts on TB. This is the only one with the problem. I was using 52.9.... this never happened. I disabled all the add-ons but the problem repeats. I also tried repairing that particular folder. The web-account shows new mail in the Inbox folder...as it should.

Thanks again
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If its a POP account the only ways I'm aware of for new mail to show up in a folder other than the inbox is if you use a message filter to move it, the junk mail controls moved it to whatever junk folder you designated, its a side effect of the inbox folder being corrupt or its due to some add-on (which might not work well in 60.*) you installed. I'm assuming you are using view -> folders -> all.

I suggest you repair the inbox and then the unread folder (basically just rebuilds the cache of the folder listing) by right clicking on it in the folder pane, selecting properties and pressing the repair folder button to eliminate a corrupt *.msf file as a possibility.

I suggest you download the setup program for 52.9.1 and use custom setup to install it in a different directory. That will reuse your profile, and let you see if its really a version specific problem or not. If you had modified extensions.strictCompatibility to false in 60.* you will need to do that again when you use 60.* again, due to 52.9.1 having a different default value. Other than that side effect (and what add-ons are supported) the two versions can co-exist pretty well together. Once the problem is solved you can uninstall 52.9.1. Don't check the checkbox to delete your data (asked in a popup window) when you do that.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird
orealius

Post by orealius »

Repair only works on main Inbox. Trying to repair the 'unread' folder just leads to a search box.

Also: How do I check modified extensions.strictCompatibility to false in 60.*?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If the unread folder is a saved search (virtual) folder (not a real folder) try exiting Thunderbird and deleting the the virtualfolders.dat file. You will need to re-create the saved search folder when you restart. Sometimes that file gets corrupt, though you typically see that when there are problems with view -> folders -> unified.

Use tools -> options -> advanced -> general -> config editor to run the config editor. It's thunderbird's equivalent of about:config. Type extensions.strictCompatibility in its search field.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Modify_Thunderbird_settings if you aren't used to about:config
orealius

Post by orealius »

None of the above changes anything, but I will install 52.9.1 tomorrow just to check. THis morning, before I updated from 52.9.1 there were no problems with the unread folder.

There is also an issue with TB 60.3 is sending my GMAIL messages to the GMAIL Inbox instead of the folder it is directed to,

It seems there are problems with this update.
orealius

Post by orealius »

Can you send me the link to 52.9.1?

Thanks
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

That's why I had included the link to http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird in my second post. If its hard to understand I'd appreciate feedback on what could be done to improve it.

The windows english-US setup program for Thunderbird 52.9.1 is http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/ ... 52.9.1.exe
orealius

Post by orealius »

Somehow I got the incoming mail to show up as it should in the message list. Not sure how...but I think it has to do with a double click of the INBOX in the folder pane. Meanwhile, there is a strange thing going on when I send a message from my TB GMAIL. The message shows up in the GMAIL INBOX...as well as its SENT box. The message does go through to whomever it is addressed to, but it indicates that there is a new message as well. A bit confusing. Any suggestion welcome!
orealius

Post by orealius »

Okay...the above issue with GMAIL was solved by creating a filter in the on-line GMAIL account. It was a glitch with their new fancy GMAIL program. This stuff can be a mind-boggling puzzle for the general user! Sorry for the trouble.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you ever want to try a different solution (for the copy of the sent message in your inbox) see if https://webapps.stackexchange.com/quest ... n-my-inbox helps