updating on multiple machines

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
fibrolan

updating on multiple machines

Post by fibrolan »

Hi

I have Thunderbird running on multiple laptops in my office. I am using Imap for my email. I am using an addon called Quickarchiver which archives email to the folder. It remembers where you filed it last. I would like some ideas or help on this. most of the day I work on 1 laptop(A) and file the email to their respective folder. The other laptop(B) in my office I use when I travel. I am trying to figure out on how to have quickarchiver up to date on laptop(B) without having to copy the whole Thunderbird folder over from the laptop(A) to laptop (B).

Any ideas ???

Robert
tanstaafl

Re: updating on multiple machines

Post by tanstaafl »

Archive to a folder in the IMAP account rather than to a folder in "Local Folders". That way everybody is automatically up-to-date.

The main issue would seem to be if you want to use the laptop when its not connected to the Internet. Is that important to you?

* If you let the laptop sync the folders (due to them being offline folders configured in synchronization & storage) you wouldn't have to actually copy anything yourself, just give Thunderbird a minute or two to get up-to-date before shutting down the laptop. You could run Thunderbird in offline mode when you're out of the office. That will display the contents of the offline folders rather than the corresponding remote folders.

* Another possibility would be to create a message filter to copy messages to folders in "Local Folders" that you manually run (tools -> run filters on folder) on the laptop before you leave the office.
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

Thanks for the quick reply. It is not Imap that I am wanting to figure out. It is quick archiver. On laptop A Quick archiver know what emails belong in what folder. and I just click and it files it. it learned it on Laptop A but now Laptop B which has quick archiver on it and when emails come in, it does not know like Laptop A where to file it. how can i keep quick archiver up to date on both laptops ?

I hope this makes sense.

Robert
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The problem is that the add-on only stores information in the profile. If you can identify what file it stores that information in, you could copy it to the profile in the other machine. Perhaps you could share it via something like dropbox or google drive?

I suggest you start by finding what files the add-on modifies. Does it store it in prefs.js or create its own files in the profile like XNote++ does to store that information?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Files_and_fol ... hunderbird lists the files that Thunderbird creates in the profile.
morat

Post by morat »

Is there a file named quickarchiver.sqlite in the profile?

QuickArchiver
http://addons.thunderbird.net/thunderbird/addon/331666
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

yes there is.