Desktop Position & Size Not Saved

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Re: Desktop Position & Size Not Saved

Post by tanstaafl »

I want to wait on updating the KB article until its clearer whether its a bug or a deliberate change.

privacy.resistFingerprinting defaulted to false on my system. (see Stanzillla's post)
JDH-1

Post by JDH-1 »

tanstaafl wrote:I want to wait on updating the KB article until its clearer whether its a bug or a deliberate change.

privacy.resistFingerprinting defaulted to false on my system. (see Stanzillla's post)
After renaming all the suggested files (those I could find in my profile folder anyway), I thought this might have helped my problem. However, not so. After powering down over night, today I find that TB is doing exactly the same as it had been. On first launch this AM, TB came up with all of it's title bar off the top of my desktop. Since there was nothing to "grab" on top to pull it down, I had to pull the bottom edge up a bit at which point the top edge dropped down into view with no further action on my part (I ~believe~ this an accurate description). As said before, bear in mind that: 1) none of my other programs exhibit this behavior, and 2) the problem just started recently (maybe a few weeks ago?).

BTW, to recap, the files I was able to rename were: directoryTree.json, foldertree.json, mailviews.dat, session.json, xulstore.json. If there are any others I might try renaming, please let me know.....

John
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

Let's consider some other factors: when this started, did your graphics adapter driver update? Does it make any difference if you switch the hardware acceleration setting in Tools/Options/Advanced/General, i.e. turn it off if it was on, and vice versa? It hasn't been suggested yet, but any difference in safe mode (hold Shift when you launch TB)?
JDH-1

Post by JDH-1 »

sfhowes wrote:Let's consider some other factors: when this started, did your graphics adapter driver update? Does it make any difference if you switch the hardware acceleration setting in Tools/Options/Advanced/General, i.e. turn it off if it was on, and vice versa? It hasn't been suggested yet, but any difference in safe mode (hold Shift when you launch TB)?
The video driver has not been updated. However, even if it had, I would be resistant to trying to do anything about that since TB is, I believe, the one and only program exhibiting this problem. I have around 150 programs installed here, and none of the others have trouble with screen position (more or less, I checked most but maybe not quite all of these other programs). However, I will try TB's safe mode and see what happens.
JDH-1

Post by JDH-1 »

sfhowes wrote:Let's consider some other factors: when this started, did your graphics adapter driver update? Does it make any difference if you switch the hardware acceleration setting in Tools/Options/Advanced/General, i.e. turn it off if it was on, and vice versa? It hasn't been suggested yet, but any difference in safe mode (hold Shift when you launch TB)?
I just tried TB in safe mode multiple times. No matter where I move TB on the desktop, after shutting down and restarting, TB always come up glued to the upper left corner of the screen. It never remembers its last size and location.
JDH-1

Post by JDH-1 »

Just so this isn't clear, I have tried renaming all the suggested files (all those I could find), and the problem is still persisting just as it was when this started. Unless the next update fixes the problem, I suppose all I can is to put with this.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"TB always come up glued to the upper left corner of the screen. It never remembers its last size and location."

Same result if you maximize (full screen) it?

I'm skeptical that the next update will fix the problem. I still think the problem is due to data stored in your profile, I just don't understand what file it could be as it appears you tried all of the relevant ones. One option would be to create a new profile using the profile manager, copy your prefs.js file (it has all of your settings, including your account settings) to it, copy the *.mab address book files to it, and then import the mail folders using the ImportExportTools add-on. You'd then have to redo any customizations, re-install any add-ons you want and get prompted for the passwords again (check the checkbox to have them saved by the password wizard).
JDH-1

Post by JDH-1 »

tanstaafl wrote:"TB always come up glued to the upper left corner of the screen. It never remembers its last size and location."

Same result if you maximize (full screen) it?

I'm skeptical that the next update will fix the problem. I still think the problem is due to data stored in your profile, I just don't understand what file it could be as it appears you tried all of the relevant ones. One option would be to create a new profile using the profile manager, copy your prefs.js file (it has all of your settings, including your account settings) to it, copy the *.mab address book files to it, and then import the mail folders using the ImportExportTools add-on. You'd then have to redo any customizations, re-install any add-ons you want and get prompted for the passwords again (check the checkbox to have them saved by the password wizard).
I just opened TB and the program's top edge was again almost fully above the top of my desktop (top of the monitor). I was just able to click on the very bottom of the maximize icon and the program snapped to full screen just as it should. When I then clicked to get it back to the intermediate size, once again it was taller than it should be in the vertical dimension.

Yesterday I downloaded the latest rev of TB - version 60.3.1. After installing it over the previous version, the size problem persisted. Rather than doing much more work on this, I believe I'd like to wait and see if the next rev fixes things. If it doesn't, maybe I can go back and do the things you suggested. Frankly, I just need a break from fighting it for now.... :-)
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Don't know about all the solutions being offered here regarding various files. Would assume that if you can find a 'fix' at that level then that would be the way to go.

However, for years I've used a program called Sizer for quickly setting the size and positions of windows. With Thunderbird, once you have a suitable size and position set up for it in Sizer, then the keyboard combination CTRL+WINDOWS+Z will give you access to the Sizer menu and just click on the configuration size/position you previously set for Thunderbird.

P.S. The current release of Sizer is full recode of earlier versions of Sizer and hence is a work in progress and some of it's functions might not work in current builds - so do read around the site for what is likely to work and what (currently) doesn't. That said I use Sizer all the time and it covers all my needs very well. Brilliant little program.

Hope this helps.
JDH-1

Post by JDH-1 »

BuddhaNature wrote:Don't know about all the solutions being offered here regarding various files. Would assume that if you can find a 'fix' at that level then that would be the way to go.

However, for years I've used a program called Sizer for quickly setting the size and positions of windows. With Thunderbird, once you have a suitable size and position set up for it in Sizer, then the keyboard combination CTRL+WINDOWS+Z will give you access to the Sizer menu and just click on the configuration size/position you previously set for Thunderbird.

P.S. The current release of Sizer is full recode of earlier versions of Sizer and hence is a work in progress and some of it's functions might not work in current builds - so do read around the site for what is likely to work and what (currently) doesn't. That said I use Sizer all the time and it covers all my needs very well. Brilliant little program.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind if the next release of TB doesn't solve what I am seeing here. Maybe I have some corrupt file that pertains only to TB, but I sure can't find it......
JDH-1

Post by JDH-1 »

TB just did an update to ver 60.3.1. I was interested to see what impact this might have to the problems I have been seeing, but then I looked in my records and found that TB already did this update a bit over one week ago. Odd. Not sure I have ever seen TB do the same update twice.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The release notes state :"Version 60.3.1, first offered to channel users on November 15, 2018". I suspect it was available earlier if you did an explicit check for it via help -> about Thunderbird rather than rely upon the normal updating process (release channel). Sometimes they also enable updates based on geographic area for a limited time to gauge peoples reactions to a new version, before enabling it for everybody.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

JDH-1 wrote:TB just did an update to ver 60.3.1. I was interested to see what impact this might have to the problems I have been seeing, but then I looked in my records and found that TB already did this update a bit over one week ago. Odd. Not sure I have ever seen TB do the same update twice.
Interesting since 60.3.1 release candidate (build1) was just built on Nov 13th, and 63.0.1 rc (build2) on Nov. 14th.

What is the BuildID in Help > Troubleshooting information?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
JDH-1

Post by JDH-1 »

tanstaafl wrote:The release notes state :"Version 60.3.1, first offered to channel users on November 15, 2018". I suspect it was available earlier if you did an explicit check for it via help -> about Thunderbird rather than rely upon the normal updating process (release channel). Sometimes they also enable updates based on geographic area for a limited time to gauge peoples reactions to a new version, before enabling it for everybody.
I frequently check for updates just as you described, especially when that update might fix some problem I am experiencing. So this is probably what I did. BTW, my install log shows the first update to ver 60.3.1 was on 8Nov2018; then again it happened on 15Nov2018.

John
JDH-1

Post by JDH-1 »

WaltS48 wrote:
JDH-1 wrote:TB just did an update to ver 60.3.1. I was interested to see what impact this might have to the problems I have been seeing, but then I looked in my records and found that TB already did this update a bit over one week ago. Odd. Not sure I have ever seen TB do the same update twice.
Interesting since 60.3.1 release candidate (build1) was just built on Nov 13th, and 63.0.1 rc (build2) on Nov. 14th.

What is the BuildID in Help > Troubleshooting information?
Something is wrong here. As just said to another member, my install log shows the first update to ver 60.3.1 was done on 8Nov2018; then again it happened here on 15Nov2018. I write all these things in a text file since it often helps to have a log. I am usually very careful... but who knows, maybe I made a typo.

My current BuildID shows as: 20181113231517

John