Google search messed up with SeaMonkey 2.49.3

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Ztruker

Re: Google search messed up with SeaMonkey 2.49.3

Post by Ztruker »

They (Google) really don't care. Seamonkey is such a small footprint for them there is no incentive for them to fix anything that affects just Seamonkey.
Rich
Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
Mudhaid

Post by Mudhaid »

I applied the patch above, in about config, and now the Google search window appears to work just fine, I can enter text where it's supposed to go. BUT now Google Search isn't working right. The links appear, but when I click on them, the red stop sign on the Navigation Bar blinks, and then nothing happens, nothing loads. It's as if the website has been blocked. ALL the links do the same thing. I can click on paid advertising links and they work. I have removed all cookies for Google, and deleted Prefs.js, didn't fix it. I also upgraded to Seamonkey 2.49.4, didn't fix the problem. Any ideas?
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

See this thread, see if anything th3ere helps: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3041130
Rich
Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

I'm glad I found these kinds of threads since Google started to "break" things with Seamonkey

big kudos to Ztruker, therube and Frank Lion for the tips on getting the Google search function to work properly in Seamonkey
RrBd

Post by RrBd »

For unexperienced users who are a little afraid of about:config manipulations, the add-on "User Agent Switcher 0.7.3.1"
https://addons.thunderbird.net/de/seamo ... er/?src=ss
might be a solution.
For me that add-on works fine with SM53.1 (from 2017), and user string "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:53.1) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.53a1" in a new selectable User Agent heals the google problem.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I am using SeaMonkey with Firefox compatibility info included in the user-agent. I just tried Google search and it worked. I go to google.ca, since I am in Canada. Does that make a difference? Does blocking Google search from using javascript make any difference?
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Ztruker wrote:They (Google) really don't care. Seamonkey is such a small footprint for them there is no incentive for them to fix anything that affects just Seamonkey.
Has anyone actually tried reporting the problem to them? Every time I have contacted Google to report some apparent misbehaviour on one of their websites, I have (eventually) received a response from an actual human.

I've just started to experience the problem myself, so if no one has yet given this a try, I might.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Psychonaut wrote: I might.
Be sure to let us know how you got on.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
amalgamas

Post by amalgamas »

I use Semonkey 2.49.3 under ubuntu and got this problem today. I am not aware that my SM has been updated since yesterday, but this is possible. I have tried the about:config fix (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0), but the text still lands in the upper right corner of the search bar and long search text seems to be truncated. I have restarted Seamonkey and ubuntu, logged in and out of google, but nothing helps.
What to do now?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

amalgamas wrote:What to do now?
Read this thread?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
amalgamas

Post by amalgamas »

Yes, of course, and, as I wrote, I have applied the suggested about:config patch. What did I miss? should I uninstall and reinstall Seamonkey, or should I create a new profile?
rainyd

Post by rainyd »

I have had similar issue with SM 2.49.4 under Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and solution was rather easy: I've disabled Firefox compatibility in HTTP Networking (Advanced settings).

Btw, because I really like Seamonkey as browser, is even preferable for me to avoid user agent spoofing.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Btw, because I really like Seamonkey as browser, is even preferable for me to avoid user agent spoofing.
I don't understand that. Could you explain what you mean by that?
rainyd

Post by rainyd »

DanRaisch wrote: I don't understand that. Could you explain what you mean by that?
Simply I prefer to be counted as Seamonkey user rarther than Firefox one, even if I'm user of the latter since Phoenix/Firebird days.

Btw, of course I understand that SM 2.49.4 using the same Gecko engine as Firefox 52.9.0 ESR but still it's a different browser.
Last edited by rainyd on November 20th, 2018, 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

amalgamas wrote:What did I miss?
That Firefox 52 is now an out of date Firefox version and that other people on these threads are using a Trident override. Apart from that, not much.
amalgamas wrote:should I uninstall and reinstall Seamonkey, or should I create a new profile?
Nether, reinstalling has never been an effective fix for anything on any program and a new profile in not appropriate in this case.