Can we officially kill Captcha? [RANT]

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
That Random Guy

Can we officially kill Captcha? [RANT]

Post by That Random Guy »

—and I don't mean Captcha in general, I'm talking about those real stupid image-based Captchas that make you match photos or select photos based on a theme/object. :doubt:

It's like the people who made that thing never actually went through and did it themselves.

I'm tired of spending 5 minutes on those things just to sign-in to a website or whatever. ](*,)

I wouldn't even be complaining if they actually grabbed pictures that applied to the subject it was looking for. It's one thing to grab specific photos that will map to the grid layout and allow for proper selection and another thing to simply grab random pictures from Google using keyword search and pulling up photos that don't match the grid layout OR simply aren't of enough quality to decipher what's in the photo. Sometimes the thing is so random that I quite literally can't decide. It could be either or, but I could care less.

They've simply programmed this authenticator so poorly that it doesn't even register things correctly. It was designed and created with flaws and didn't go through proper testing.

What bothers me more than that is the fact that people even bother to use the stupid thing in the first place. I mean, really? Why!?

There's a Captcha out there which ONLY requires a CLICK! ONE! No stupid puzzle or game, just a click. USE THAT INSTEAD!!! :evil:
Brummelchen

Re: Can we officially kill Captcha? [RANT]

Post by Brummelchen »

Not your page, not your decision. Deal with it or go along.
If you experience problems those are not! made by captcha.
That Random Guy

Post by That Random Guy »

Brummelchen wrote:Not your page, not your decision. Deal with it or go along.
If you experience problems those are not! made by captcha.
Wrong and Wrong!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVFYFr4Vy8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkG7yfdqnRQ

You're right, it's not UP to me, however the fact remains that there are currently much better implementations of Captcha out there that don't cause this headache.

Ultimately, you missed the point.

The above demonstrations of Captcha are still in use today and largely still operate in the same manner (with the same accuracy flaws and design flaws).

This is a problem and it isn't about choice; it's about the technology not working properly and in a manner that's consistent with its purpose.

Has NOTHING to do with the page. The FACT remains that this stuff is still used out there.
mtalbot

Post by mtalbot »

Captcha and reCaptcha are both menaces! I have created some web pages and one of them includes a log in / sign up ability so I wanted to protect it against abuse. When I did some research I found out that the accessibility guidelines warn against using Captcha and reCaptcha because they are NOT friendly to those people with devices like screen readers etc. This is quite aside from the fact that I object to having to prove to a robot that I'm not a robot.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Then there's the expectation of the Captcha puzzles to know the US equivalents of what's in your own country. Crosswalks are called pedestrian crossings here in the UK (or zebra crossings or pelican crossings); fire hydrants here are buried under the pavements (sidewalks) here, so don't look like what they do in the pictures. Yeah, we're saturated enough by US culture to probably know a few of those, but still...
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I had one website that required me to do 10 Captchas before they approved me.

They were better before they blurred the pics. Identifying cars should be enough without identifying blurry ones, which proves nothing.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network