Delete dictionary

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
fits79

Delete dictionary

Post by fits79 »

Hi i have installed that add on https://addons.mozilla.org/el/firefox/a ... g-diction/

And i want to DELETE the default dictionary it is only Greek language and keep ONLY the en-gr dictionary i installed.

How i do that?

Cause every time i open the firefox 63 it choose from default the only Greek dictionary and i can't find a way to make default the other en-gr dictionary.

How i can DELETE this dictionary so i have ONLY ONE dictionary and choose this AUTOMATICALLY the firefox at every page i go.

Grumpus

Re: Delete dictionary

Post by Grumpus »

The dictionary should be located in the Firefox folders on you system. It may either be an add-on, extension or plug-in.
It may be in the local folders or somewhere deeper.
Example: Update for English on this system loads a Canadian, England English and a Zaire English to this system which get manually removed at update by deletion,
Also check your language settings under /Tools/Options/General/Language.
Also look at this item in about:config: intl.accept_languages;en-us,en
On you item it may show gr only, see if you add en if it changes and affects the dictionary selection (don't forget the comma between gr and en)
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
fits79

Post by fits79 »

At which folder exactly?

And i want to delete the default only greek dictionary NOT the new english-greek dictionary i install.

How i can DELETE the default only greek dictionary the firefox 63 greek has on it?

You mean that:

I did that doesn't change anything at all.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Can't see your image, only a thumbnail.
Look at extension.ui.dictionary.hidden ; it's a true or false setting. See if it makes the dictionary visible.
I don't know where they hide the various extensions, features, etc. in Windows, Haven't used the platform for 14 years.
You could probably find it with a search for a .xpi file but Windows may use .exe
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Grumpus wrote:Can't see your image
](*,)

βλάκας :roll:
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Problem was on my end, saw the image.
Shouldn't international accept Languages also have the gr with the en
ἅγροικος ον [-X
fits79

Post by fits79 »

Grumpus wrote:Can't see your image, only a thumbnail.
Look at extension.ui.dictionary.hidden ; it's a true or false setting. See if it makes the dictionary visible.
I don't know where they hide the various extensions, features, etc. in Windows, Haven't used the platform for 14 years.
You could probably find it with a search for a .xpi file but Windows may use .exe
You must press at the thumbnail.
You mean at about:config ?

And i want to see the only greek dictionary.
It was false i change it to true restart the firefox 63 but nothing change as you see :
Last edited by fits79 on November 28th, 2018, 9:41 am, edited 6 times in total.
fits79

Post by fits79 »

mightyglydd wrote:
Grumpus wrote:Can't see your image
](*,)

βλάκας :roll:
To vlakas gia emena pigene?
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@fits79 - There used to be a separate folder for the default (supplied) dictionaries.
It appears the locale (language) version of Firefox dictates the original or default dictionary which appears to have been removed from the dictionary folder which has also been removed.
It might be worth a try to experiment with the system locale settings but I doubt it would work.
For locales (language & country)
intl.locale.matchOS; T or F
intl.locale.requested; two letter country code
intl.regional_prefs.use_os_locales; T or F

Alternate, maybe not acceptable, would be to install the English version Firefox and bring in the Greek as a second language.
It may be with the current changes Firefox won't allow the removal of the dictionary as it is probably embedded now,
You might try alterations in the pref.js file which has similar items to about:config but commenting may be the only edit unless you could edit the default dictionary to the preferred one.
I don't remember if they would hold on a restart
fits79

Post by fits79 »

The locale is only for site and to which language do you want to appear it doesn't has any relative with dictionarys.
So all these switches is for that and NOT for dictionary's
intl.locale.matchOS; T or F
intl.locale.requested; two letter country code
intl.regional_prefs.use_os_locales; T or F

I want to appear only the english-greek dictionary NOT the only Greek dictionary.
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

Default dictionaries do not seem to be stored as .xpi, so I'm not sure where to find the default one to delete. Even if you did find it I think it would come back every time you update.

Possible but kind of lame solution:
Install a Firefox installer from a language that does not include any dictionary, such as en-GB . Install the greek dictionary. It should be then the only dictionary and work. Then, I don't know if there would be any way to get the menus in Greek using the prefs mentioned above, maybe.
fits79

Post by fits79 »

At older versions of firefox like 60 i delete that dictionary and everything work just fine cause i saw only the english-greek dictionary i install it.

So why i can't do that at the latest version 63?

No i don't want that solution.
I want the firefox program be at my language(Greek) and not at any other, simply i don't want the onboard dictionary this firefox has in it.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

It would seem, without a deeper understanding or explanation from Mozilla, they have hidden the default dictionary.
It could be relative to security or a continuity issue.

As to the locale items my thinking was if you closed off the relationship to the locale on the system it might affect dictionary selection.
At the same time the edit of the pref.js might allow the change to the desired dictionary as default.
However since you do not want it even listed maybe someone has come up with a menu editor which would allow the Greek to be hidden.
It appears to me to be quixotic.
fits79

Post by fits79 »

How i change the pref.js file and what i must change?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Builtin (bundled) dictionaries have been moved to the main omni.ja archive and are no longer present as a separate file (see resource://gre/dictionaries/) so they can't be removed.