Multiple tabs open seamonkey slows and freezes

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
brixtonp

Multiple tabs open seamonkey slows and freezes

Post by brixtonp »

I often have many tabs open in Seamonkey maybe 15-20 and often it starts to slow noticeabley and then freezes. Then have to force quit it.
Tabs will be youtube, facebork, wikipedia and some streaming sites soundcloud bandcamp etc. and other random pages.

Sometimes after the machine has been asleep overnight but at other times too 3 or 4 few hours its using 2.5 gig of ram at these times. Both working set and private working set.

I'm using windoze 7 on a AMD 6 cor 3.31ghz with 16gb RAM, Asus Sabertooth m'board, 1GB NVIDIA video card and only using adblock on seamonkey.
any ideas on how to prevent this?
thanks in advance
edit as I wrote this I have 9 tabs open and 1.5 gb ram used :?
lasardo

Re: Multiple tabs open seamonkey slows and freezes

Post by lasardo »

Disable the Flash plugin if you have it installed and do not need it for games or anything else. Some extensions allow a restart button which could temporarily speed things up while keeping your open tabs if your session settings are set right. Bookmark your open tabs before trying it the first time. https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/se ... &platform=
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

brixtonp wrote:.... and only using adblock on seamonkey.
  • :-k ABP consumes a lot of resources.

In the beginning, AdBlock Plus was an excellent extension, and it worked perfectly. But following the purchase of AdBlock Plus, by Eyeo GmbH
    (in 2011) they started using that "acceptable ads" crap (=> The list is maintained by Eyeo GmbH).

But today, is much better uBlock Origin. :P

So, I recommend you to use uBlock Origin (Open source, fast & simple, minimalist in use of RAM and CPU, with lots of filters to be able to use, etc).

If you decide to install uBlock, you will need, the SeaMonkey compatible version:
  • firefox-legacy-1.16.4.5.

Cheers!! 8-)
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
brixtonp

Post by brixtonp »

ElTxolo wrote:
brixtonp wrote:.... and only using adblock on seamonkey.
  • But today, is much better uBlock Origin. :P

So, I recommend you to use uBlock Origin (Open source, fast & simple, minimalist in use of RAM and CPU, with lots of filters to be able to use, etc).

If you decide to install uBlock, you will need, the SeaMonkey compatible version:
  • firefox-legacy-1.16.4.5.

Cheers!! 8-)
Thanks am trying it now and got 10 tabs open and 700mb mem used instead of 1.5 gb
:D
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

brixtonp wrote:Thanks am trying it now and got 10 tabs open and 700mb mem used instead of 1.5 gb
:D
  • You're welcome! ;)
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~