Icons. No text.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
smislt

Icons. No text.

Post by smislt »

In Thunderbird 60.3.2, there are buttons for Show Only Unread Messages, etc. There only icons and no text. You have to hover your mouse over them to find out what the button is for. Is there any way to get text next to the icons?
smislt

Re: Icons. No text.

Post by smislt »

OK. Found that the theme is causing this. I like the theme. Is there an extension that would put the text in?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Why do you think its the themes fault? What is the theme?

Normally if you right click on the main toolbar area on the main window and select Customize there is a Show: list box to the lower left that you can use to switch between text, icons, both or text beside icons.
smislt

Post by smislt »

I thought it was a theme causing the issue from what I saw on the Mozilla Support Forum page at the URL below. I started Thunderbird in safe mode and the text was there. When I started back in regular mode with the TT DeepDark theme, there was only icons and no text. I did as you said, and right clicked on the main toolbar area on the main window and selected Customize and set it for text only, but there was no effect. I did a screen capture, but it appears that there is no was to attach it to a post, correct? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1173919
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum for how to post a screen shot.

I installed TT DeepDark using Thunderbird 60.3.2. I was able to select "icons and text" and it display them in the mail toolbar. However, that only effects the main toolbars. If you want to see text and icons in the toolbar for the mail message (displayed in a tab, window or the message pane) you need to right click on its toolbar area, select customize, and select "icons beside text". It doesn't have a "icons and text" option, unlike the toolbars near the top of the main window.

The thread on the Mozilla support forum never said the theme was at fault, there was just initial confusion over which toolbar to customize. Once the person helping the author realized which toolbar the original posted was referring to, they suggested the "chosen solution".
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

I think you're referring to the Quick Filter Bar. For some reason, the text sometimes disappears leaving only icons. Disabling and re-enabling the QFB from View/Toolbars usually restores the text.
smislt

Post by smislt »

sfhowes wrote:I think you're referring to the Quick Filter Bar. For some reason, the text sometimes disappears leaving only icons. Disabling and re-enabling the QFB from View/Toolbars usually restores the text.
Thanks. Now I know what that toolbar is called. I tried disabling and re-enabling the QFB from View/Toolbars, but no luck. You can't right click on that toolbar. At least when I tried nothing happened.
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

Pull the right border of the Thunderbird main window to the right (or the left border to the left) until icons and text of the quick filter bar will be displayed.
Or pull the splitter between folder pane and thread pane (folder pane splitter) slowly to the left and observe the quick filter bar ...
smislt

Post by smislt »

Eckard, Thanks, but that isn't the issue. I can see the quick filter bar. The problem is there are icons only and I can't get text to appear instead of icons.
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

smislt wrote: I can see the quick filter bar.
I know that!! I didn't tell you how to switch on and off the Quick filter bar but how to make appear the text.
The problem is there are icons only and I can't get text to appear instead of icons.
There is no "text instead of icons" in the quick filter bar! It's either "text and icons" or icons only.
When there isn't enough (horizontal) space for the quick filter bar it will only display icons (and no text).
That's why you have to move the "borders".

I treated the problem recently in the French forum in this thread. Have a look on the screen shots...
smislt

Post by smislt »

With the CustomizeMyBird extension, you can get text and no icons!!