Can't Delete Download List

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tpaulr

Can't Delete Download List

Post by tpaulr »

Morning...

Since FF62 (could have been 60 or 61), I have had a difficult time deleting my download list - I have no functionality (meaning nothing responds) to manage the list - can't delete either a single entry or the entire list, won't go to the download link, can't copy the download link, can't clear it or them, can't remove.

It will, however, go to the containing folder...

Nothing is greyed out, it simply doesn't respond, it does nothing.

I have no idea if I inadvertently changed an option, I am at a loss.

I have no problems managing them on my laptops, just my desktop, they all have identical set ups.

Any ideas?

I have run all of the diagnostics, including a new profile, again, it makes no difference, I still can't remove the list of downloads that just keeps growing.

Thanks, in advance... ](*,)
DanRaisch

Re: Can't Delete Download List

Post by DanRaisch »

When you created the new profile did you add in any extensions or run with the bare bones profile?
If you did install extensions, does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Are you running any sort of cleanup software, anything like Ccleaner?
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Dan,

No and no...Bare bones, same thing occurs in safe mode, just ran in safe mode again right before I posted.

I do not run CC Cleaner, never have, don't run any other cleaner.

This has been hit and miss since about FF60, but since the newest version - 63.03 - it's simply won't work, I can't manage downloads.

Dan, this is the same issue I had with bookmark management, these security updates seem to trigger these problems for me and I have no idea why.

I gave up using FF bookmark management after 61, it became a complete mess (I have a number of threads here and in FF Support), couldn't add, delete, couldn't move anything around - I am using an outside bookmark utility now.

I don't understand these problems. :?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I don't understand these problems.
...and I'm not seeing the issues nor seeing others reporting the same issues on these forums. It sounds as though something is blocking access to the Places.sqlite file, where the download history and bookmarks are stored.

Anything "unusual" about your Firefox installation? Are you running it from a network share or external drive?
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Dan,

Nothing unusual, I have these 3 sqlite files in my profile: places.sqlite, places.sqlite-shm, and places.sqlite-wal.

I don't run FF from a network, nor an external drive. I even changed out my mouse, wondering if there was an issue because nothing is greyed out, it simply doesn't respond.

I turned off my A/V and all other security throughout the diagnostic process, that didn't help.

(Although I did change my A/V around the same time - could an A/V do this??)

This is a relatively new installation, BTW.

When I had all of the bookmark issues around 60 or 61, I deleted everything FF, I mean everything. I waited until 63 was released and reinstalled FF. I used another browser for a couple months.

I have come to like Quantum quite a bit after 63, it's very fast and generally reliable, I have fewer extensions, which is OK, I really haven't had any issues until the last update.

These security updates seem to really affect my FF Library and its management functions, bookmarks first, now downloads.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Dan,

I just did 2 things:

1.) I ran Portable Firefox from a USB stick and I was able to delete the downloads that were there when I was using Portable as my main browser after I uninstalled FF on my desktop;

2.) I looked at my profile again, I have an odd folder called favicons.sqlite.corrupt from 11/29.

Any ideas on what that might be and if it is an issue?

I have no problems on 4 different laptops and a Portable, just my desktop.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Dan, another update...

I just ran another experiment, what few bookmarks I do have I tried to export to an HTML file, can't do it.

This is part of the bigger issue I had when I gave up keeping bookmarks in FF.

Something is corrupt, continues to corrupt.

I'm out of my depth here, no clue what to do next.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

create a new profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
or
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

This article explains how to selectively transfer Firefox user data and settings to a new Firefox profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox

DONT copy places.sqlite or favicons.sqlite. use export/import instead (html/json). not sure, but HTML should preserve favicons.
can't do it.
means exactly what? no full list? broken output? stuck?
a broken places file leads to this.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

B.,

Thanks.

Let's work backward...

1. I don't copy those files to repopulate bookmarks, if that's what you mean. I export and import, but export doesn't work anymore, even after I make a new profile.

Trying to export bookmarks doesn't work, there is no functionality - it's not greyed out, I can go through the process, but there is no file that is exported, nothing is there, either as an HTML file or a JSON file - nothing gets created.

I've had this issue since FF60. I was able to import bookmarks from Portable Firefox to populate the fresh install of FF63 after I deleted Firefox completely between 61 and 63, but I have no idea if I can import right now, I will see when I create the new profile.

BTW, favicons don't render anymore, haven't since FF60 for me - I can get some of them to render, like Twitter, but when I exit Firefox, all those favicons go away.

I gave up on favicons after months of issues - I moved most of my bookmarks out to a 3rd. party site anyway, but I do have a few I keep on hand like weather sites.

2. I keep making new profiles; after these interim updates like 63.03, it disrupts my Firefox set up and I end up with on-going issues like deleting downloads.

I'll try another profile, but there is something wrong somewhere in this system that has caused major FF problems since V60. I have tried everything I know, but I'm at a loss.

FF gives me no inherent issues - it is fast and reliable, I like it a lot.

Thanks, in advance.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

The new profile is up and running, going to delete the old one tomorrow...Thank you both for your time, as always.

I have a question:

Between Phoenix and FF60, I never had to create a new profile (I had to with Sea Monkey years ago).

Since 60.00, this is the 5th or 6th. new profile. When I go to check the integrity of the Places Database in the old profile, I get the following:

Task: checkIntegrity
- Unable to check favicons.sqlite integrity: Error: Error(s) encountered during statement execution:
> Task: invalidateCaches
- The task queue was cleared by an error in another task.
> Task: checkCoherence
> Task: expire
> Task: originFrecencyStats
> Task: vacuum
> Task: stats
> Task: _refresh-UI

Any idea what is causing this?

I'd like to find the cause to avoid this...

Again, thank you.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

tpaulr wrote:The new profile is up and running, going to delete the old one tomorrow...Thank you both for your time, as always.

I have a question:

Between Phoenix and FF60, I never had to create a new profile (I had to with Sea Monkey years ago).

Since 60.00, this is the 5th or 6th. new profile. When I go to check the integrity of the Places Database in the old profile, I get the following:

Task: checkIntegrity
- Unable to check favicons.sqlite integrity: Error: Error(s) encountered during statement execution:
> Task: invalidateCaches
> Task: checkCoherence
> Task: expire
> Task: originFrecencyStats
> Task: vacuum
> Task: stats
> Task: _refresh-UI

Any idea what is causing this?

I'd like to find the cause to avoid this...

Again, thank you.
What Antivirus software are you running >? Some try to 'protect' files from being changed.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Panda.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You might try booting the system in Windows Safe Mode to take Panda out of the mix for a brief time to see if that could be a factor.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Dan,

I did before I even posted, the issue remained.

I believe this is self inflicted, truth be told - before FF57, I had a number of different Mozilla-derivative browsers on my desktop to try, had ESRs of Firefox running, went from 56 to 52 ESR, ET AL, a very messy mix.

I have a single clean profile now, and other than Firefox Portable on a separate USB stick, there is but a single instance.

I believe that this will solve the myriad of issues that keep cropping up.

BTW, I am a reader of Dedoimedo's blog, and, ironically, he had a major entry this morning about cookie corruption in Firefox because he had a 10 year old profile.

Timely background and lesson for me... :)

Dan, thank you.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome, and good luck.