Resuming From Sleep

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
orealius

Resuming From Sleep

Post by orealius »

I've noticed that often enough TB (latest) doesn't automatically download new messages when coming out of sleep. Though, about 50% of the time the new messages will be there after about 10 seconds from resuming sleep. I can always get the new messages by clicking the 'get messages' icon but I'm wondering why this happens so erratically. The internet connection is excellent and the browser is fully functional in about 10 seconds as well. Any ideas?

Thanks
tanstaafl

Re: Resuming From Sleep

Post by tanstaafl »

Are talking about a IMAP account with IDLE enabled (allow immediate server notifications when new messages arrive) or a POP account?
orealius

Post by orealius »

For sure..the POP account. But I think the IMAP account also has this issue. I've read and checked that simply going to 'get new mail' resets TB so that the next time it comes out of sleep, and all is well. But then the problem repeats.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See if using hibernate rather than sleep makes a difference.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cg ... d=14455472 lists many problems due to sleep, though mainly in core or mozilla toolkit (not application specific). There is a confirmed bug report about "Calendar opens to wrong week after wake from sleep" (Lightning).
orealius

Post by orealius »

Same issue with hibernate. I don't recall having this problem in earlier versions of TB. Seems specific to 60.3.1
orealius

Post by orealius »

How do I post this bug to Mozilla?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Create an account at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org and then file a bug report against Thunderbird.

Your bug report will get more attention if you can identify what was the last version that the bug didn't occur. You could use a custom setup to install an older version in a different directory, and reuse your existing profile. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird
orealius

Post by orealius »

thanks
tobiz

Post by tobiz »

I'm getting similar problems with TB 60.3.2 (64 bit) on Kubuntu 18.04 with Plasma 5. If I leave the machine unattended for a while (actual time unknown), or it goes into hibernate mode then on Get Messages it sometimes says something like: "Looked up 'My supplier POP server'" and nothing happens (I'm not saying what 'My supplier POP server' URL is here for obvious reasons). If I click Get Messages it sometimes repeats this behavior and sometimes will retrieve msgs. It's not a network failure since eg Firefox will reload a current page at that time. Any other network app will also work, ie it's not the network it seems to be TB. There seems to be many issues with TB 60.3.2, eg drop down menus being black, msg bodies being black, failing to write to the email folder, all of which are temporary, ie if you click on various items enough times the drop downs work etc. Are these TB/Kubuntu 18.04 integration issues or TB specific? The blacked out drop downs don't occur with any other app, eg Firefox. None of these issues occurred with Kubuntu 14.04 and the corresponding TB release. I should add that Kubuntu 14.04 was run on different h/w, ie Kubuntu 18.04 is a new install on a new machine not an upgrade
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

A related thread is http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3029992 . It's title is "Thunderbird not getting emails when sleep/off" but it turns out they never get email no matter how long they wait after pressing the get messages button.
tobiz

Post by tobiz »

Hi tanstaaff, I saw that thread before posting on this one. From the symptoms I've experienced my initial diagnosis is that there is a timing, ie timeout issue. If TB has somehow dropped the connection then Get Messages triggers its re-establishment. However such code often has a timeout set on it to prevent indefinite waits, if this timeout is too short then the timeout will be triggered, but if repeated Get Message requests are made it will eventually be made before the timeout expires resulting in non-deterministic behavior. If I was looking for the problem in the code I'd find the code where the "Looked up...." text was output and establish under what conditions it was sent and work back.
orealius

Post by orealius »

Will this be posted on Bugzilla?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Nothing in these forums is automatically posted on bugzilla.

Sometimes its useful to post a link to a thread discussing a problem as part of the bug report but you should enter a full description of the problem and how to reproduce it as part of the bug report. I suggest you test prior versions of Thunderbird and identify in the bug report what was the last version that didn't have the problem.

You can use a custom setup of a older version to install it in a different directory (no need to uninstall your current version) per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

tobiz wrote:From the symptoms I've experienced my initial diagnosis is that there is a timing, ie timeout issue. If TB has somehow dropped the connection then Get Messages triggers its re-establishment.
If you are using a IMAP account and "allow immediate server notification when new mail arrives" is still checked in the accounts server settings the IMAP server will normally automatically notify the email client of new mail within a few seconds. This is independent of the polling (explicitly checking) for new mail that occurs on startup, every X minutes, and when you press the get messages button. One way to check if there is a connection problem is to open a different folder (than the inbox).

Its very useful to try to reproduce a network/timing problem using a Gmail IMAP account as it doesn't have the frequent inter-operability problems you see with outlook.com, yahoo.com etc., their mail servers are typically easy to connect to, and the developer is very likely to have a Gmail account. This reduces the risk of finger pointing.
tobiz

Post by tobiz »

tanstaafl, I'm connecting to a POP server. TB is set poll the pop server every 10 mins. I'd have thought that the action of Get Messages overrode this and polled it immediately; I'm pretty sure that's what happened on 14.04. I'm not using a Gmail IMAP account.