How Do I Get Archives and Outlook Folders to Show?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
zlaer

How Do I Get Archives and Outlook Folders to Show?

Post by zlaer »

The Archive and Outlook folders do not appear on the list of folders on the left side of the screen. I got IMAP with gmail. Look at the screen shot. how to I get them to show?

DanRaisch

Re: How Do I Get Archives and Outlook Folders to Show?

Post by DanRaisch »

You're going to have to provide more information. To what Archive and Outlook folders are you referring? Did you import data from an installation of MS Outlook or are our referring to a Hotmail/Outlook webmail account?
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

DanRaisch wrote:You're going to have to provide more information. To what Archive and Outlook folders are you referring? Did you import data from an installation of MS Outlook or are our referring to a Hotmail/Outlook webmail account?
To gmail account as I mentioned before.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See if this article is helpful -- https://www.siteground.com/kb/how_to_su ... underbird/

Yes, you did mention a Gmail IMAP account but then you referred to Outlook folders which would not (normally) come from Gmail; thus the confusion. How does an Outlook folder relate to a Gmail account?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Did you subscribe those folders, if they are in a IMAP account?

Your screen shot doesn't seem to have the icons that indicate that the inbox folder has child folders. I also don't see a [Gmail] child folder or a Sync Issues child folder like my Gmail IMAP account has.
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

DanRaisch wrote:See if this article is helpful -- https://www.siteground.com/kb/how_to_su ... underbird/

Yes, you did mention a Gmail IMAP account but then you referred to Outlook folders which would not (normally) come from Gmail; thus the confusion. How does an Outlook folder relate to a Gmail account?
Oh my bad. Didnt mean to confuse you with "Outlook" folder. I think I meant the folder where unsent mail sits if I'm not mistaken.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I meant the folder where unsent mail sits
OK, that would be the Outbox folder and I can understand the confusion on that name. The Outbox folder will appear under Local Folders if/when you attempt to send a message but Thunderbird can not connect to the server to send it.
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

tanstaafl wrote:Did you subscribe those folders, if they are in a IMAP account?

Your screen shot doesn't seem to have the icons that indicate that the inbox folder has child folders. I also don't see a [Gmail] child folder or a Sync Issues child folder like my Gmail IMAP account has.
Yes i know. Thats because I followed advice of a poster who said to open the Gmail account server settings, advanced button, and type [Gmail] into the IMAP server directory. Thats why it looks like that.

Should I remove that and revert back to how it was configured? Even if I did I still dont like the look because I dont like the [Gmail] subfolders.

Anyway, how would I go about just adding Archive and Outlook folders without the local subfolders?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

zlaer wrote:Thats because I followed advice of a poster who said to open the Gmail account server settings, advanced button, and type [Gmail] into the IMAP server directory.
That used to do that but my impression was it broke a couple of years ago. It has no effect on the folder tree when I try it.

I used to use flat folder tree as a workaround but it doesn't seem to support version 60.* (even after setting strict compatibility false).
zlaer wrote:Anyway, how would I go about just adding Archive and Outlook folders without the local subfolders
The outbox folder is a child folder in the "Local Folders" special account, its not account specific. You can specify any folder as the archives folder, it doesn't even have to be in the same account. What is it set to in the Gmail copies & folders settings?

I'm configured to use the default location for the archive folder in my Gmail IMAP account but the folder doesn't exist as I never archived anything. Did you?
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

tanstaafl wrote:
zlaer wrote:Thats because I followed advice of a poster who said to open the Gmail account server settings, advanced button, and type [Gmail] into the IMAP server directory.
That used to do that but my impression was it broke a couple of years ago. It has no effect on the folder tree when I try it.
I'm confused since I'm using it and it apparently works as per my screen shot.[/quote]
tanstaafl wrote:
zlaer wrote:Anyway, how would I go about just adding Archive and Outlook folders without the local subfolders
The outbox folder is a child folder in the "Local Folders" special account, its not account specific. You can specify any folder as the archives folder, it doesn't even have to be in the same account.

Somewhat confused. How exactly do you mean?
What is it set to in the Gmail copies & folders settings?
This should answer your question:
I'm configured to use the default location for the archive folder in my Gmail IMAP account but the folder doesn't exist as I never archived anything. Did you?
According to ths screen shot it looks like its in the default locale since I never touched the setting.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Gmail uses Sent Mail, while your screen shot shows you are using Sent as the Sent folder. You normally don't enable any Sent folder for Gmail as the Gmail SMTP server automatically saves a copy in the Sent Mail folder, and if you also told Thunderbird to save a copy, you'd get two copies. Are you using the Gmail SMTP server with that account?

Perhaps http://kb.mozillazine.org/Outbox will help explain what the outbox folder is.

"According to ths screen shot it looks like its in the default locale since I never touched the setting."
What I was trying to say was that it doesn't matter what the location is if you never archived anything, because the archives folder tree normally is not created until you archive something. Since you never archived anything, and are using the default location, there is probably nothing to see. I said "probably" because Gmail has too many quirks to keep track of. Right click on the account name in the folder pane, select subscribe, expand the folder listing and see if a Archive folder is listed. Normally you would use All Mail with Gmail as the Archive folder. The downside is that All Mail automatically keeps already a copy of all messages, not just the ones you explicitly archive. That's due to Gmail actually using labels (not folders) and all mail being stored in "All Mail". Its the IMAP server which makes messages with a label appear to be in a folder named after the label. If you have a copy of a message in the inbox and xyz folder its actually a message in All Mail that has both a inbox and a xyz label. See the labels section in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_Gmail_w ... illa_Suite

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/ ... ktop&hl=en

Are you using a Gmail account from Google or are you using a account from a ISP that uses Gmail servers with their own domain? In the latter case, they might configure things differently. I've seen this for example with ISPs that used yahoo for email.
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

tanstaafl wrote:Gmail uses Sent Mail, while your screen shot shows you are using Sent as the Sent folder. You normally don't enable any Sent folder for Gmail as the Gmail SMTP server automatically saves a copy in the Sent Mail folder, and if you also told Thunderbird to save a copy, you'd get two copies. Are you using the Gmail SMTP server with that account?
So your saying that if I set up the Sent folder, 2 sent copies are created: one in 'Sent' folder (TB) and the other in 'Sent Mail' folder (Gmail). So theyre duplicates. Am I right?

To answer your question, according to Outgoing Server (SMTP) in Account Settings, I'm using Google Mail - smtp.gmail.com.
Perhaps http://kb.mozillazine.org/Outbox will help explain what the outbox folder is.
Excuse me, I meant Outbox not Outlook folder. Excuse the typo.
"According to ths screen shot it looks like its in the default locale since I never touched the setting."
What I was trying to say was that it doesn't matter what the location is if you never archived anything, because the archives folder tree normally is not created until you archive something. Since you never archived anything, and are using the default location, there is probably nothing to see.
So I finally created the Archives folder after I archived a test email. I also managed to subscribe to Drafts and it appeared too with your help..

But the problem with the newly created Archives folder is that I dont see all of my older archive mail. How can I make those appear?
Are you using a Gmail account from Google or are you using a account from a ISP that uses Gmail servers with their own domain? l.
Gmail account from Google.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

But the problem with the newly created Archives folder is that I dont see all of my older archive mail. How can I make those appear?
Where were those other archive folders created, on the Gmail webmail page?
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

DanRaisch wrote:
Where were those other archive folders created, on the Gmail webmail page?
No in TB.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What procedure (steps) did you use to create the folders in TB?