How Do I Get Archives and Outlook Folders to Show?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Re: How Do I Get Archives and Outlook Folders to Show?

Post by tanstaafl »

"So your saying that if I set up the Sent folder, 2 sent copies are created: one in 'Sent' folder (TB) and the other in 'Sent Mail' folder (Gmail). So theyre duplicates. Am I right?"

Yes.
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

DanRaisch wrote:What procedure (steps) did you use to create the folders in TB?
I opened the Gmail account server settings, advanced button, and typed [Gmail] into the IMAP server directory. I then subscribed the Drafts folder. Everything looks good now as you can see from the attached screen shot. But I'd like to get my old archives in the newly created Archives folder. How do i do this?

zlaer

Post by zlaer »

tanstaafl wrote:"So your saying that if I set up the Sent folder, 2 sent copies are created: one in 'Sent' folder (TB) and the other in 'Sent Mail' folder (Gmail). So theyre duplicates. Am I right?"

Yes.
So what would you suggest I do to be sure no duplicates are created? Obviously I like my current set up. Would i have to remove the 'Sent' folder? If so, do you believe its wise and how do I do that?
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

Waiting for your answers guys
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"So what would you suggest I do to be sure no duplicates are created?"

Do NOT check "when sending messages, automatically place a copy in" in copies & folders. Your screen shot shows only a Sent Mail folder (no Sent folder) so it looks like you don't have to do anything.
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

tanstaafl wrote:"So what would you suggest I do to be sure no duplicates are created?"

Do NOT check "when sending messages, automatically place a copy in" in copies & folders. Your screen shot shows only a Sent Mail folder (no Sent folder) so it looks like you don't have to do anything.
Thats cool. But what about getting the newly created Archives folder my old archives? What do we do about this do you suggest?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Where are the old archives? I didn't see any folders that looked like archives in the screen shot.
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

tanstaafl wrote:Where are the old archives? I didn't see any folders that looked like archives in the screen shot.
Look at the screen shot below. I created the Archives folder by just archiving a test email. But I still have old archives I want in the newly created folder. Let me know what you suggest.

tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You've told me where you want to store the archived mail, but not where the old archived mail is or how its stored (some .zip file, .eml files, another profile ....)
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

tanstaafl wrote:You've told me where you want to store the archived mail, but not where the old archived mail is or how its stored (some .zip file, .eml files, another profile ....)
I'm confused. How would I know where or what file archived mail in TB is located??
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Archiving_your_e-mail
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/archived-messages

Let me backup for a second. Why do you believe you have some old archived mail? Thunderbird doesn't automatically archive mail, it is an option that you invoke manually.
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

tanstaafl wrote:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Archiving_your_e-mail
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/archived-messages

Why do you believe you have some old archived mail? Thunderbird doesn't automatically archive mail, it is an option that you invoke manually.
Still a bit confused here. I had old archived mail before I made changes to TB showing the mail grouping the way I set it up now.

Also I dont understand why you'd say TB doesnt archive mail when in fact I had archived several of my mail going back to 2014, again, before I changed how the mail grouping looks now.

Again just to reiterate, when I entered '[Gmail]' into the IMAP Server Directory in Advanced Account Settings, the mail grouping changed. You can see how by the pics I posted. All the folders reappeared except for the Archives folder. I had to create one by archiving a test email. Even though the Archives folder was created this way, I still am not able to see my old archived mail, except for the test email. Again, how do I get the old archived mail to reappear in that newly created Archives folder?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Also I dont understand why you'd say TB doesnt archive mail when in fact I had archived several of my mail going back to 2014,
Please read carefully. What tanstaafl said was
Thunderbird doesn't automatically archive mail, it is an option that you invoke manually. [Emphasis added}
As you apparently created the OLD archive folders on the Gmail web mail pages, the issue is that Gmail doesn't have an Archive label by default. Gmail doesn't actually use folders on the web mail system. What you see as folders on that web mail page are just labels assigned to the message and each message can be assigned to more than one label. Messages archived on the web mail page have the inbox label removed but retain Gmail's "All Mail" label. See this article -- https://support.google.com/mail/answer/ ... ktop&hl=en

You many have to create a new label (folder) on the web mail site, assign the messages you wanted to archive to that label and then subscribed to that folder (actually label) in Thunderbird.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

zlaer wrote:Again just to reiterate, when I entered '[Gmail]' into the IMAP Server Directory in Advanced Account Settings, the mail grouping changed. You can see how by the pics I posted. All the folders reappeared except for the Archives folder.
I looked again at the 4 screen shots and don't notice any differences between them other than the Archives folder, a big red arrow pointing to it and slightly different new mail counts. I didn't see the grey [Gmail] child folder for example. I am confused why your Sent Mail folder appears to have child folders (due to the > icon) but it appears to be that way in every screen shot.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

zlaer wrote:Again just to reiterate, when I entered '[Gmail]' into the IMAP Server Directory in Advanced Account Settings, the mail grouping changed. You can see how by the pics I posted. All the folders reappeared except for the Archives folder. I had to create one by archiving a test email. Even though the Archives folder was created this way, I still am not able to see my old archived mail, except for the test email. Again, how do I get the old archived mail to reappear in that newly created Archives folder?
It is not going to magically occur in the newly created Archives folder if it was never in there in the first place. You will need to move it from wherever it was before.

Where was it? If you never created a folder for it in Thunderbird, perhaps you archived it using webmail (while logged in using a browser). In that case I'd assume its in "All Mail", which you have not subscribed as a folder, so its not visible in Thunderbird. The simplest solution, with the least side effects, might be to log into webmail and copy the old "archived" messages to the archives folder/label. Then log out and verify they show up in the archives folder in Thunderbird.