addressbook slow to retrieve

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
fibrolan

addressbook slow to retrieve

Post by fibrolan »

Hi,

I am using 6.0.32 and I am founding that the addressbook when searching for names is quite slow. I have 4059 names in our addressbook. is there a way to compress the address book to run faster ?

Robert
DanRaisch

Re: addressbook slow to retrieve

Post by DanRaisch »

I'll assume that you are dealing with the Personal Address Book in this issue.

One way to compress the address book data would be to export the data to a CSV file and then importing that CSV file, which will create a new .mab file in the Thunderbird profile. Close Thunderbird and navigate to the profile. There will usually be two files with the extension .mab in a Thunderbird profile, abook.mab and history.mab. The import process will create a third such file. Rename the file abook.mab to oldabook.mab and rename that third .mab file to abook.mab. Launch Thunderbird and see if thee access time to the address book data has improved.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

There were two bugs fixed in 60.* that made address search and address auto-complete sometimes slow to a point of being unusable. Those two bug fixes were removed in 60.3.3, supposedly solving the problem. You are still on 60.3.2, use "Help-> about Thunderbird" to check for an upgrade if it hasn't been automatically pushed to your copy of Thunderbird yet.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1511885
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

Updating Thunderbird to 60.3.3 solved the address book issue and now the address book work quickly and functions normally.

Thank you very very much for the help and advise
Last edited by fibrolan on December 11th, 2018, 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

To which "that" were you referring? The update or the export/import process? (Just so that others reviewing this thread will understand.)