why it hangs and so slow with decent pc?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
rocketman122

why it hangs and so slow with decent pc?

Post by rocketman122 »

fx 8320 OC
8gb ram
gtx660
evo 850 256

only ff does this
if I load 2 links, the progress circle just locks up and nothing happens. I also noticed that if I keep using the pc without closing the pc, ff gets slow and after closing and relaunch its peppy again

im pretty fed up with it and have played with opera more lately. never shows a progress circle freeze and nothing happens.

it ridiculous.

NO, IM NOT UPDATING TO A NEWER VERSION. I updated to this crap version only to get ublock origins and ghostery running which I think is bs they dont allow it to run with older versions. and it will run as I previously sideloaded it. im hating ff more and more. no version was great. old or this newer one or even the newest thats on my wifes laptop I didnt install.

the freezing up and not being able to cope with 2 tabs running together is annoying. ue is at a low.
the fact they dont allow me to allow which cookies to install says something about the way FF has went. they are not the pro user anymore that they were once.

v52.0
mightyglydd

Re: why it hangs and so slow with decent pc?

Post by mightyglydd »

Q:
"why it hangs and so slow with decent pc?"
A:
rocketman122 wrote: IM NOT UPDATING TO A NEWER VERSION.

Next?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
rocketman122

Post by rocketman122 »

VERY weak reply.
new build.
dont just throw answers that are nonsense.
weird. opera never hangs. its just ff. and im using a year old build with opera.

come back with something better.
or dont even answer.

NEXT?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

rocketman122
1st. I recently updated from ESR 52 to this latest ESR quantum version and though I lost of lot of good extensions for the most part I've found some ways to deal with it. But that doesn't solve your issue.

I also only have 4gig of memory in here and never had the problem you have and at times would have 20 tabs open in my old ESR and it ran slower but never failed.

So... the first thing you should try is Firefox in safe-mode. Also, I've found that my AV software (Avast) injects an extension into the profile and that can cause Firefox to have issues... most posts around here that also have an added AV extension disable it.

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

And just to rule out your AV software you might want to try your PC in safe-mode...with Network active. I'd save this last one for the end.
Last edited by dfoulkes on December 12th, 2018, 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

fx 8320 OC
What version of Firefox is that?
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

It shows you are running on Chrome, posting a supposed problem with Firefox. :-k
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

rocketman122 wrote: v52.0

#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
MdniteEagl

Post by MdniteEagl »

DanRaisch wrote:
fx 8320 OC
What version of Firefox is that?
That's his processor. AMD FX 8320 overclocked.

To the OP - had similar issues of locking up with 52 ESR and 57. Went to Chrome for almost a year. Tried Fox again with 60 and it's been MUCH better. Have not any lockup or RAM drain since.
Tower: HP EliteDesk 705 G3 - Win 10 Pro - AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 1500 - 64GB (4x16GB) 2133MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
Laptop: HP ZBook 17 G4 - Win 10 Pro for Workstations - Intel Xeon E3-1535M - 64GB (4x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
therube

Post by therube »

gets slow
Quite the broad statement.

How much RAM is FF using?
How much CPU is FF using?
How many windows?
How many tabs?
Any particular sites?
Are these "movies" that "spin" or websites? So you cannot load https://www.google.com ?

There should be no issue with FF 52 ESR even on far lessor hardware then you have.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

- Which antivirus running on Windows 7?
- Ghostery is buggy and futile with uBlock - and those are legacy builds?
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

No problems here, Firefox has always been blazing fast for me, Ghostery is untrustworthy.