Problem changing IMAP servers

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
TBSpamFree

Problem changing IMAP servers

Post by TBSpamFree »

I recently changed web hosting services from 1and1 to HostGator. I had TB set to the IMAP server at my old service (imap.1and1.com). I changed the server under Account Setting | Server Settings to HostGator's IMAP server. It seems to work in that I can send and receive emails, but every time I access it, I get a pop-up saying "Thunderbird Failed to connect to server imap.1and1.com".

Why is it still trying to access 1and1's server? Do I need to go into Advanced Settings and change something? I have quadruple-checked all the settings and do not see any 1and1 references anywhere.

Thanks.
tanstaafl

Re: Problem changing IMAP servers

Post by tanstaafl »

Its safest (and frequently quicker because you're less likely to need to debug something) to replace a IMAP account with another IMAP account, instead of modifying an existing one for a new email provider.

Search for references to the 1and1 server using the config editor at tools -> options -> advanced -> general.
TBSpamFree

Post by TBSpamFree »

tanstaafl wrote:Its safest (and frequently quicker because you're less likely to need to debug something) to replace a IMAP account with another IMAP account, instead of modifying an existing one for a new email provider.

Search for references to the 1and1 server using the config editor at tools -> options -> advanced -> general.
Well that's convenient. I'm guessing I would lose all my folders, inbox, sent mail, drafts, etc. for both accounts (I have two). I mean "lose" in the sense of I would need to keep the defunct account on TBird and essentially start over with HostGator, since I bet I can't move them to the new account? I already have several other accounts on this TBird install: Gmail, Comcast, and Centurylink; not thrilled with keeping two that I'm not using any more.

I checked as you suggested (btw, it's Edit | Preferences | Advanced | General under Linux). My god, there's 27 entries for 1and1!

<sigh> I just want to shut off the connection attempts.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

TBSpamFree wrote:Well that's convenient. I'm guessing I would lose all my folders, inbox, sent mail, drafts, etc. for both accounts (I have two). I mean "lose" in the sense of I would need to keep the defunct account on TBird and essentially start over with HostGator, since I bet I can't move them to the new account?
Huh? You can copy folders from the accounts you want to get rid of to another account. The destination can be a POP, IMAP or "Local Folders" account. There are at least 4 ways to do that.

1. The easiest way is to drag and drop folders to another account. That leaves the original intact and creates a copy of the folder (with its messages) at the destination. Its easiest if you drag and drop the folder to a folder hierarchy that starts with a different name to avoid conflicts due to the same folder name. Afterwards you can always merge folder contents, as needed.

If your old account has everything in the inbox or child folders of it you could potentially drag and drop the entire accounts contents in one step but I strongly recommend you do it in several steps (each large folder separately) to avoid potential issues due to insufficient buffers etc. That also makes it easier to verify the copy was successful.

2. You could copy messages from each folder using "message -> copy to". Control-A or Edit->Select->All will select all messages in the current folder, even if they are not visible without scrolling the folder listing.

3. You could import the mbox files used to store messages by the "offline folders" (created by default per synchronization & storage -> message synchronizing) using the ImportExportTools add-on into the "Local Folders" account. They would be safe there, even when you lose all access to the 1&1 account. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders for how to do that.

If you are working online, the folder listing shows the contents of the remote folders (on the IMAP server). If you temporarily switch to "file -> work offline" it displays the contents of the corresponding offline folders, if they exist. I recommend you avoid using file -> offline -> download/sync now - that method was replaced in version 3.x with the sync'd folders in "synchronization & storage".

4. You could backup the IMAP account using a tool such as IMAPSize at http://www.broobles.com/imapsize/ . It backs up the folders as .eml files. The ImportExportTools add-on can import .eml files. http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP_backup
TBSpamFree

Post by TBSpamFree »

Thanks for the input. I'll give it try.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

The method suggested by Tanstaafl is the safest. One major issue with changing servers like that "on the fly" like the OP suggested is that the first time Thunderbird will connect to the new server, it will see that there are no emails on HostGator (the new server) and will synchronise TB by removing messages from Thunderbird, which is exactly what you don't want.

One last tip if you have made many filter rules with your old account. Copy the file "msgFilterRules.dat" from the your_profile/IMAP/1and1.com folder to the your_profile/IMAP/HostGator.com folder.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
TBSpamFree

Post by TBSpamFree »

Well, I didn't read mgagnoniv's post until too late. The folders have been moved. But actually, that's probably fine, as long as I have access to the messages in the new account.

I didn't know that one could simply move folders between IMAP servers using Tbird that way.

Thanks to all!