restore classic history

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
lvm

restore classic history

Post by lvm »

Tried installing 2.53. I found many improvements, but also one huge fault: single list browser history - one of the things which made seamonkey so much better that any other browser, has been replaced by this horrible abomination: history grouped by dates, and I found no way to bring the old history back. Is there a way to restore the old history view without groupings?
frg

Re: restore classic history

Post by frg »

This is more or less a port of the Firefox Library. The older apis were deprecated some time ago and 2.53 had a broken bookmarks manager. The group by dates was more or less broken before. You are able to trash your entire history pretty fast in 2.49.x when you remove single days. Non grouping was the only option working as long as you only removed sigle entries. Should be possible to add an "All" view but unless someone does it I wouldn't hold my breath. Sidebar still has the View "By last visited" as a workaround
therube

Post by therube »

(Don't really use history so not really sure what was there before...) but you can add/remove columns that are displayed.

Add 'Most Recent' & sort by that column.
Select 'Older then 6 months'.

With that, I'd think you'd have a date/time ordered listing of all your history?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
frg

Post by frg »

> With that, I'd think you'd have a date/time ordered listing of all your history?
No it omits recently added sites.
lvm

Post by lvm »

Actually it shows some of the recent items in all of the views. Not all of them though and different ones in each view. Buggy like hell.

What bothers me more is who and why would want this random partitioning? What may be the reason today to browse history exactly from the 1st to 31st of August? If I will be looking for something that old I wouldn't remember the exact date, quite possibly would reach the end of the filtered date span and will have to switch to the next view instead of seamless scrolling. I might want to browse recent history to find a site I visited today or yesterday, but it would be on top of the all-inclusive list, so no reason for 'today' filter and no reason for old monthlies. In short, I see no usage scenario for this thing at all, only inconvenience, wasted screen space and programmer's effort.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

lvm wrote:What bothers me more is who and why would want this random partitioning? What may be the reason today to browse history exactly from the 1st to 31st of August?
I do.

Sounds like you need to use History> View > Unsorted or whatever.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)