Not finding dictionary

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Gone Postal

Not finding dictionary

Post by Gone Postal »

64-bit v65.0b1.

English dictionary is showing under the Dictionaries page of the Add-ons tab. However, spell-checking is not working and Language box under Options > Composition > Spelling is empty. Re-installed dictionary and re-started Thunderbird but no change.
DanRaisch

Re: Not finding dictionary

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support as no confirmed bug has yet been identified here.

What localized version of Thunderbird are you running?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You're using a beta. You'e also using a 64-bit Windows build. In general while the 64-bit builds work okay (other than no MAPI support) they're not supported. So you're taking two risks.

Install the latest released 64-bit version (60.4.0) in a different directory using custom setup (it should be able to co-exist with the beta also being installed) and see if it has the same problem. It will automatically use the existing profile. If that doesn't work either I suggest you un-install it and try the 32-bit version instead.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Gone Postal wrote:64-bit v65.0b1.

English dictionary is showing under the Dictionaries page of the Add-ons tab. However, spell-checking is not working and Language box under Options > Composition > Spelling is empty. Re-installed dictionary and re-started Thunderbird but no change.
What English dictionary and version?

I did an update yesterday to 65.0b1 and then a check for updated extensions.

My British English Dictionary (Marco Pinito) is now version 2.68 after updating and I see the same problem on Linux.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

tanstaafl wrote:You're using a beta. You'e also using a 64-bit Windows build. In general while the 64-bit builds work okay (other than no MAPI support) they're not supported. So you're taking two risks.

Install the latest released 64-bit version (60.4.0) in a different directory using custom setup (it should be able to co-exist with the beta also being installed) and see if it has the same problem. It will automatically use the existing profile. If that doesn't work either I suggest you un-install it and try the 32-bit version instead.
I know I'm taking 2 risks and am prepared to do that in the public interest so that bugs like this can be identified and fixed. The reason I flagged up this problem is that the dictionary worked with v64 and has now stopped working. I'm happy to plod on pending a fix and can't really be bothered to install a second version. However, thanks for the advice and if I do find that the bug is becoming a show-stopper I will certainly revert from beta to release version.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

DanRaisch wrote:Moving to Thunderbird Support as no confirmed bug has yet been identified here.

What localized version of Thunderbird are you running?
Used Thunderbird64 Setup 64.0b1.exe for original installation. Can't remember localisation but it would have been English (UK) if available, otherwise default.

For further information the english_gb_language_pack_thunderbird-52.0-tb.xpi add-on has been disabled as not compatible with v65.0. Would that stop the dictionary being recognised?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Gone Postal wrote:For further information the english_gb_language_pack_thunderbird-52.0-tb.xpi add-on has been disabled as not compatible with v65.0. Would that stop the dictionary being recognised?
That is the extension for the dictionary. Did you already try setting extensions.strictCompatibility false to allow add-ons that don't formally support 60.* and later to at least install?

Did you try the British English dictionary at https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... -2/?src=ss ? That is a updated fork of David Bartlett's British English Dictionary . Some comments mention it works with 60.0. The add-ons web page mentions: "This is a Legacy Extension. Thunderbird 66+ will require the WebExtension used by Firefox. At the end of January, Thunderbird 60.5 will be released and it will support WebExtensions."
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

tanstaafl wrote:That is the extension for the dictionary. Did you already try setting extensions.strictCompatibility false to allow add-ons that don't formally support 60.* and later to at least install?

Did you try the British English dictionary at https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... -2/?src=ss ? That is a updated fork of David Bartlett's British English Dictionary . Some comments mention it works with 60.0. The add-ons web page mentions: "This is a Legacy Extension. Thunderbird 66+ will require the WebExtension used by Firefox. At the end of January, Thunderbird 60.5 will be released and it will support WebExtensions."
Setting extensions.strictCompatibility is already set as false and I have also added extensions.checkCompatibility.65.0 which is set to false but the english_gb_language_pack_thunderbird-52.0-tb.xpi add-on still refuses to load. I already have the British English dictionary version you suggest. This shows in the dictionaries page of the Add-ons tab. However, in the Options settings, under Composition > Spelling, the language box is greyed out and no drop-down appears when I click on the pip.

I have also tried to install the US language pack which failed as not compatible and have downloaded the latest English (US) dictionary but that is not showing either.

The latest thing I have done is to download and install the Firefox web-extensions dictionary (british_english_dictionary-1.19.1.2webext.xpi) but that is not showing either.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

Further update.

Closed and re-opened Thunderbird and the Firefox dictionary had disappeared. Re-installed it from file, closed and re-opened and the language is now registering. The spell-checking is also working.

Thanks to tanstaafl for the hint about the Firefox web-extensions and can report that the problem is (hopefully) resolved - although it took a bit of fiddling before I got there.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Gone Postal wrote:
The latest thing I have done is to download and install the Firefox web-extensions dictionary (british_english_dictionary-1.19.1.2webext.xpi) but that is not showing either.
Try this one https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ctionary-2

It works for me.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

WaltS48 wrote:
Gone Postal wrote:
Try this one https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ctionary-2

It works for me.
That works on Windows as well. Thanks.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I should have read the release notes. :oops:
DICTIONARY SUPPORT: Only WebExtension dictionaries are supported now. Please download new dictionaries from addons.mozilla.org since addons.thunderbird.net still provides "legacy" dictionaries compatible with Thunderbird 60 ESR. This may change as soon as Thunderbird 60 ESR can also handle WebExtension dictionaries (planned for version 60.5).
Thunderbird 65.0b1 Release Notes

Four new items, four changed, and ten fixes.