downthemall replacement?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
slickrcbd

downthemall replacement?

Post by slickrcbd »

Did anybody ever come up with a decent replacement for Downthemall? The specific features I wanted was the download manager that would let me queue up downloads and then download them one or two at at time, the ability to handle numbered sequences such as get file1.dat, file2.dat, file3.dat through file47.dat (some download managers from 20 years ago could handle file01-file47 but not file1-file47 as they would choke when I got past file9 if there was no leading zero).

Also the ability to grab all the archives, text files, media files, etc off a page like Downthemall would let me do. That was another great feature. Also be able to highlight a bunch of links and copy then queue them up instead of having to right click on each link, select "copy link to cupboard" and paste it into a program.

Any way to get those features back without reverting to Firefox 57 or 52ESR?
lasardo

Re: downthemall replacement?

Post by lasardo »

For an occasional task, it is possible to run Firefox Portable Legacy ESR 52 with Downthemall to do the job. By default, you will need to close all real Firefox Windows in order to run the Firefox Portable.
Extensions are probably not up to those features - extensions like Download Star are nice, but for a picky user will probably not suffice https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... load-star/
Command line utilities, or separate program download managers might do better - some sites seems to recommend Jdownloader and Internet Download Manager.
slickrcbd

Post by slickrcbd »

I haven't shopped for a download manager since before Firefox came along as I've been using Downthemall with Mozilla since I switched from Mac OS 8.6 to Windows 98SE when Mozilla 1.2 was still current, and what I used before that (Monica) was for Mac Os 7-9.

Sorry for being lazy for soliciting suggestions from people who might be familiar with Downthemall and know of something with similar features rather than trying to research from scratch.
therube

Post by therube »

it is possible to run Firefox Portable Legacy ESR 52 with Downthemall to do the job. By default, you will need to close all real Firefox Windows in order to run the Firefox Portable
Explain, if you would.
Wouldn't Portable be separate of any other running instances of FF, to the extent that a -no-remote switch would not even be needed?

@slickrcbd, as you're now on a better OS (Win7) & a legacy FF (56), you can now use dTa once again :-).

(Odd you might think how Win10 specifically limits a user & how Quantum specifically limits a user.
But then you might think that it is not odd at all, rather it is exactly what they want.
:evilgrin:.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
slickrcbd

Post by slickrcbd »

@therube
Uh, that was my work around to use the 10 year old computer to get the job done until I could get a replacement installed on the new computer.

As for the issue with portable, I suspect it has to do with the files in the profile conflicting if two instances of Firefox are running.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I run my portable Firefox along with my installed version... some times...here is some info on that.

https://portableapps.com/node/37305
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
therube

Post by therube »

Oh, but you need Developer of Nightly for that, so not really feasible for the masses.
Though that may be one alternative to using an outdated Legacy FF version.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
thebudman

Post by thebudman »

External isn't an option and there is no good addon that i know of that runs in the browser. All external apps just fail in many ways and downthemall was the best option until Mozilla messed up Firefox really bad. I am not using Firefox so it can turn into google chrome. I quit running nightly a long time ago and i am afraid of what other mistakes they have made to the browser.

I have long standing bugs since at least v1.5 of firefox and maybe earlier that have never been fixed in all these years.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Whatever
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"