Defaulting to Yahoo even though I'm setting Google

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
MiloShapiro

Re: Defaulting to Yahoo even though I'm setting Google

Post by MiloShapiro »

You're both right. When I have time to learn how to follow Dan's advice, maybe isolating and solving the problem will come. But it still sounds like, if a new profile didn't have that problem, I'd have to live without my add-ons until, slowly adding them back one-by-one the problem does or doesn't come back. And if it's not immediate from the evil add-on, i could still misjudge which one caused it. In the meantime, Odin's option is no solution, but a worthy get-around that doesn't seem likely to add problems, other than one more add-on, but obviously not the culprit one.
Milo in San Diego
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

mightyglydd wrote:two things you aren't prepared to do.
Do you think Milo and I are the same person?

Milo may or may not be prepared to do those things--but I would certainly advise him to pursue the easier way as I have suggested. It's not always prudent to spend a lot of time, possibly without success, trying to find the cause of a problem for which there's a simple workaround--especially here when the workaround is arguably preferable to the problem's solution, even if found.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

mightyglydd wrote:
Odin2 wrote:this forum's previous posts have provided no help.

Er yes they have, SCAN FOR MALWARE and try A NEW TEST PROFILE, two things you aren't prepared to do.
Do you think Milo and I are the same person??

Milo may or may not be prepared to do those things, but I would certainly advise considering an easy workaround when the workaround saves a huge amount of time and its implementation is arguably preferable to the solution of the original problem, even if found.
MiloShapiro

Post by MiloShapiro »

And again, I appreciate both the direct advice that would take some work on my part for a true solution (just not something I can prioritize today while running my business) AND a possible workaround from Odin for now, so long as advice like his isn't INSTEAD of real solutions from others...which i've seen happen, where once someone replies, no one else weighs in.
Milo in San Diego
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Milo, as I've tried to indicate, the "real" solution is not in my view necessarily the best solution. What the former does in 1 click the latter does in one keypress. The "real" solution does have the advantage of being a bit neater: it allows Google to join all the other search engines accessible via the search bar. What's hugely problematic however is the time and effort required to achieve it, which might or might not succeed. So (as I've said) do what you're comfortable with.

P.S. I've reported mightyglydd for his abusive and insulting post, which is out of place in this forum.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I'm locking this as the solution has been posted and nothing more constructive is being added to the thread at this point.