New tab on right?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
dude89

New tab on right?

Post by dude89 »

Is there anyway to change the new tab location? I'm used to it being on the right side, I find it very annoying to go to the left side everytime i want to open a new tab since it's against my muscle memory, I really like the overall layout on seamonkey browser it seems perfect with it's location on URL on top of tabs and the bookmarks being in between them. The url font is slightly smaller but it's fine overall if i can change that it would be another plus
lvm

Re: New tab on right?

Post by lvm »

Seamonkey can open new tabs on the right or after the current tab, this behaviour is controlled by the 'open related tab after the current tab' option in preferences-browsing-tabbed browsing. Not sure about tabs opening at the start of the list (on the left) though - don't think Seamonkey can do it on its own. Maybe you have some tab management extension installed?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

lvm, I think you misunderstood the OP's post. If I'm reading it correctly they are referring to the "Open in new tab" element (actually a tab) that appears at the far left of the tab bar when more than one tab is open in SeaMonkey. In Firefox the "New Tab" element appears at the right end of the tabs/tab bar.
hardys

Post by hardys »

To move the button to the right you can use a userChrome hack
Open the userChrome.css in your profil with a editor and insert this code:

Code: Select all

.tabs-stack vbox hbox stack { -moz-box-ordinal-group:10!important; }
Restart Seamonkey and enjoy :P

Thanks to patrickjdempsey for this hack
https://addons.thunderbird.net/de/seamo ... eatab-x-2/
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

dude89 wrote:Is there anyway to change the new tab location? I'm used to it being on the right side
Yep, this extension is highly recommended to new users of SeaMonkey and will do that and much more - https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/se ... n/sea-fox/

Use the 'Click Here' link on that page, so that it will be converted to install into the SM version you have.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
lvm

Post by lvm »

But firefox (or chrome) approach is awful - new tab button is not on the right, it is after the last tab so it moves depending on how many open tabs you have. One thing you never do in a properly designed UI is make controls move so that users will have to hunt for them all over the screen, and you definitely cant use 'muscle memory' in such a case. A well though out controls layout is one the reasons why seamonkey is better than other browsers.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

lvm wrote:But firefox (or chrome) approach is awful
Too bad, it's the approach that the OP of this thread, and others, wanted and that's what counts.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Wish You Were Here

Post by Wish You Were Here »

dude89 wrote:Is there anyway to change the new tab location? I'm used to it being on the right side, I find it very annoying to go to the left side everytime i want to open a new tab since it's against my muscle memory,
CTRL-T works fine for me. I rarely ever use that Open New Tab button.