Is there a way to display all keyboard shortcuts? [Linux]

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
voipfc

Is there a way to display all keyboard shortcuts? [Linux]

Post by voipfc »

I am trying to move to a keyboard driven approach in Firefox as much as possible, but find it virtually impossible to remember the keyboard shortcuts of many commands offhand(Is there some way to display all the keyboard shortcuts used by Firefox itself as well as addons? : firefox)

Is there a tool which can list all the active keyboard shortcuts in both Firefox and addons?

Something I would like to do with the information is to create some kind of macro system so that rather than trying to remember each keyboard shortcut, I can give each shortcut a macro name and run the macro itself, much like the `M-x` command in `emacs` coupled with a tool like `helm`. So for instance I could have a macro like `ff-addons-page` and the lookup screen would display something like `ff-addons-page | Ctrl-Shift A`, as well as the closer matching commands, thus making it easier to remember the keyboard shortcuts and use them directly another time.

PS. I have come across an addon named Pale Moon - Add-ons - Dorando keyconfig but I am not quite sure if a WebExtension compatible or substitute version of it exists.
Last edited by LIMPET235 on January 12th, 2019, 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Linux] to the title.
WaltS48

Re: Is there a way to display all keyboard shortcuts? [Linux

Post by WaltS48 »

You could print this out and keep it handy.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ke ... linux:fx64
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
morat

Post by morat »

The keyconfig extension display shortcuts defined by a <key> element. It doesn't display shortcuts defined by a keyboard event listener.

http://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs ... boardEvent

Unfortunately, the keyconfig extension isn't compatible with Firefox Quantum.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Have you tried using your system keyboard shortcuts?
Thought here is due to Firefox internal plumbing with most Linux systems it may work somewhat but guess ing.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
voipfc

Post by voipfc »

morat wrote:The keyconfig extension display shortcuts defined by a <key> element. It doesn't display shortcuts defined by a keyboard event listener.

http://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs ... boardEvent

Unfortunately, the keyconfig extension isn't compatible with Firefox Quantum.
In the new WebExtensions system when an addon registers a listener for a keyboard shortcut, is there an API Firefox uses to detect it, as well as trace the function in the addon they keystroke combination is linked to, as well as provide an API to enumerate them?

Something like this can warn when an addon registers a keyboard shortcut which conflicts with an existing one or one used by Firefox itself.
morat

Post by morat »

You can use the manifest.json commands key to define one or more keyboard shortcuts.

You can use the manifest.json content_scripts key to add a keyboard event listener in a page.

I have no idea how the application handles WebExtension keyboard shortcuts internally.
voipfc

Post by voipfc »

morat wrote:You can use the manifest.json commands key to define one or more keyboard shortcuts.

You can use the manifest.json content_scripts key to add a keyboard event listener in a page.

I have no idea how the application handles WebExtension keyboard shortcuts internally.
Thanks. I think you have helped me find a good way into learning about WebExtensions.