LDAP Server using admin password: Security Risk?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
conrad9900

LDAP Server using admin password: Security Risk?

Post by conrad9900 »

I have set up an LDAP connection to our DC. However the connection requires administrator password.
Users can then browse the tools>security options to reveal our administrator password.
is there a way to setup address book LDAP without a password being stored?
tanstaafl

Re: LDAP Server using admin password: Security Risk?

Post by tanstaafl »

I'd expect admin privileges only to be needed to edit the contents (via a browser). Is there any reason why you could not configure the LDAP server to also allow connections without a password for read-only access? My impression is that LDAP servers frequently support multiple "user store types" such as JDBC, read-only LDAP/Active Directory, read-write LDAP and read-write Active directory
conrad9900

Post by conrad9900 »

It will not allow me to access the LDAP without a password, when i try to search an email address it prompts instantly.
Have been trying multiple ways to do it without admin password being stored...no luck yet
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I am suggesting that you need to re-configure the LDAP server to offer an additional service. You currently have one that requires the admin password, that lets you do anything. I think you need to configure the LDAP server to offer another service which provides read-only access, with no password.