Save Tabs on Exit no longer working in version 63.0

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jscher2000

Re: Save Tabs on Exit no longer working in version 63.0

Post by jscher2000 »

So if I understand the use case:

(A) For privacy, the user wants to control whether it is possible to restore current tabs in the next session. Assume the user does not care about someone viewing their history, this is just about session restore.

(B) The available option of closing individual tabs so they would require an extra step to restore is not sufficient, there should be no way to restore the session's tabs, whether they were open or closed at the time of Exit.

(C) As a matter of practicality, the very best time to make that decision is when exiting the current session.

Someone could file that in Bugzilla: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/

Or take it to Discourse: https://discourse.mozilla.org/c/firefox-development
Ryo

Post by Ryo »

"browser.showQuitWarning" which was invalidated in Firefox 63 seems to be restored to the equivalent function in Firefox 65.

Bug 550559 - Decouple Session Restore from Quit warning, warn when using keyboard shortcut on Mac & Linux
: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=550559

Currently, version 65.0b1 can be tried on Developer Edition.
: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/c ... ktop/#beta
MacBook Air(Mid 2013) 13" 1.7GHz Core i7 8GB ; macOS Sierra 10.12.6
ffuser1234

Post by ffuser1234 »

Hello--This is my first foray into Mozilladom. First of all, when I registered, I answered the question to found out that the word "mozilla" has six letters. Second, I wanted to share a way to get the "save tabs on exit" box to appear on FF 64.0.2 ("You are about to close 24 tabs. Are you sure you want to continue?") rather than have FF just disappear on exit. Sometimes my mouse button bounces, so if I exit a full screen, the next "X" underneath is FF, and it disappears too. Gotta re-open FF and re-load. Here's what I did: (1) Open FF normally with all your tabs. (2) Open a second single-tab window. (3) Do your normal FF stuff with the first window. (4) To exit your normal FF session, hit the "X" in the upper right corner. The "save tabs on exit" box will appear! Don't exit yet, but leave the message on the screen. (5) Switch to the second window. (6) Close it out. The first window will remain with the "save tabs on exit" box still there. Be sure you have the "Restore previous session" box checked in "options." (7) Then you can quit FF with the tabs saved. (This method assumes that you've done all the about:config changes so that the browser save tabs on exit and similar entries are all true.) Apparently having two windows open at once enables the save on quit box, wherever it was hiding. It will appear when closing out either window, but FF saves the last window closed, so it's important to close out the secondary single-tab window first, leaving the message on the first window for closing it out. Hope it works for you!
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

ffuser1234 wrote:Hello--This is my first foray into Mozilladom. First of all, when I registered, I answered the question to found out that the word "mozilla" has six letters. Second, I wanted to share a way to get the "save tabs on exit" box to appear on FF 64.0.2 ("You are about to close 24 tabs. Are you sure you want to continue?") rather than have FF just disappear on exit. Sometimes my mouse button bounces, so if I exit a full screen, the next "X" underneath is FF, and it disappears too. Gotta re-open FF and re-load. Here's what I did: (1) Open FF normally with all your tabs. (2) Open a second single-tab window. (3) Do your normal FF stuff with the first window. (4) To exit your normal FF session, hit the "X" in the upper right corner. The "save tabs on exit" box will appear! Don't exit yet, but leave the message on the screen. (5) Switch to the second window. (6) Close it out. The first window will remain with the "save tabs on exit" box still there. Be sure you have the "Restore previous session" box checked in "options." (7) Then you can quit FF with the tabs saved. (This method assumes that you've done all the about:config changes so that the browser save tabs on exit and similar entries are all true.) Apparently having two windows open at once enables the save on quit box, wherever it was hiding. It will appear when closing out either window, but FF saves the last window closed, so it's important to close out the secondary single-tab window first, leaving the message on the first window for closing it out. Hope it works for you!
Umm. I dont think what you explain here works. Because I still don't get the Save Tabs on Exit.
ffuser1234

Post by ffuser1234 »

There are quite a few sites that address this issue of no "save tabs" notice, both in Mozilla and elsewhere, which suggest various steps to take in about:config to fix the problem. Here are two I gleaned from these sites that I changed: browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand; changed to false // browser.sessionstore.restore_pinned_tabs_on_demand; changed to true. Don't know if these would help. Because FF saves the last window open, it is important to close out the second (single-tab) window first so that your tabs window is last, with the notice still on the screen. I just now tried it again on my computer, and the notice still comes up. The box I get says: "You are about to close 28 tabs. Are you sure you want to continue?" Then, "Warn me when I attempt to close multiple tabs." with a check box. Then there are the options to "close tabs" or "cancel". Strange if this only works on my computer (Lenovo T520, W7), but I thought I'd share it in case it will help someone else. In any event, I read somewhere that version 65 will have this fixed for real.
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

ffuser1234 wrote:There are quite a few sites that address this issue of no "save tabs" notice, both in Mozilla and elsewhere, which suggest various steps to take in about:config to fix the problem. Here are two I gleaned from these sites that I changed: browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand; changed to false // browser.sessionstore.restore_pinned_tabs_on_demand; changed to true. Don't know if these would help. Because FF saves the last window open, it is important to close out the second (single-tab) window first so that your tabs window is last, with the notice still on the screen. I just now tried it again on my computer, and the notice still comes up. The box I get says: "You are about to close 28 tabs. Are you sure you want to continue?" Then, "Warn me when I attempt to close multiple tabs." with a check box. Then there are the options to "close tabs" or "cancel". Strange if this only works on my computer (Lenovo T520, W7), but I thought I'd share it in case it will help someone else. In any event, I read somewhere that version 65 will have this fixed for real.
All I get is the window with You are about to close 2 tabs. Are you sure you want to continue? and a check on Warn Me when I attempt to close multiple tabs. Not the Save Tabs on Exit. I have read that this feature was removed on this version of FF. You have to go back to a version that had it. Or just download Waterfox. Which has all the original Firefox features like Save Tabs on Exit.