The future of Seamonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
James

Re: The future of Seamonkey?

Post by James »

Mouse4 wrote:bare in Mind Mozilla have Deleted all Old Extensions from there DataBase
For Firefox yes.

Some legacy extensions for the old EOL Fx 56 and earlier (including Fx 52 ESR) may be at https://addons.thunderbird.net/seamonkey/extensions/
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

Mouse4 wrote:bare in Mind Mozilla have Deleted all Old Extensions from there DataBase https://www.ghacks.net/2018/11/29/it-ap ... x-add-ons/
Those that supported Thunderbird and/or SeaMonkey were moved to https://addons.thunderbird.net/
Best regards,
Tony
vsvlachos

Post by vsvlachos »

Kudos to the Seamonkey developers and members for their excellent work. It reminds me so much the good old days. I like it very much for it's excellent e-mail client and some basic browsing due to security considerations. What is not clear to me is what happens to SM from security perspective. Latest official build 2.49.4 is 4 months old. That means that any vulnerability discovered since then has not been fixed?

I totally understand the limited resources of the SM community and the hard work of their programmers, I am just seeking advice on how to make ti more secure. Should I compile from scratch the latest builds or use the precompiled binaries in Bill's page? I don't want to use unstable Alpha releases, I have no problem with something close to RC with some minor bugs here and there but I want also to minimize the attack vector. What do you think is the best way to proceed.

Keep up the good work

Best,
Vasileios
frg

Post by frg »

Bills 2.49.5 and 2.53 should be stable. 2.53 is at 52.9 level with additional fixes and support for newer features (TLS 1.3 among others). I plan to bring it up to the latest ESR60 level wrt security when I find some time. 2.49.5 is more or less at 60.2 level. Same here. I use both releases regularly.

ewong is building up our own infrastructure but it takes time to do this. We all have daytime jobs and a life outside SeaMonkey. Just need money to live :)

Next official version will be 2.49.5. 2.57 is not ready yet. Versions after 2.57 are junk. Mozilla trashed the Gecko source pretty good and it would need more devs to keep up here.

Use latest classic NoScript and uBlock Origin and you should be mostly safe. Far from an ideal situation but can't be helped. No new devs and so slow progress. For things not working in SM I recommend Chromium.

FRG
vsvlachos

Post by vsvlachos »

It is very sad that we can not support the fantastic work of Seamonkey's developers. I was wondering if you have ever considered to reposition SM as a first class mail client. It has far more options than Thunderbird, a perfect browser to view HTML content and by disabling JS it is more or less secure. It is very convenient to be able to follow some links without having to open an external browser. Given the fact that Thunderbird has some hassles to support non English dictionaries, many users right now are seeking for alternatives. Practically is very difficult to find a decent multiplatform mail client. Any thoughts?

Best,
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

vsvlachos wrote:It is very sad that we can not support the fantastic work of Seamonkey's developers. I was wondering if you have ever considered to reposition SM as a first class mail client. It has far more options than Thunderbird, a perfect browser to view HTML content and by disabling JS it is more or less secure. It is very convenient to be able to follow some links without having to open an external browser. Given the fact that Thunderbird has some hassles to support non English dictionaries, many users right now are seeking for alternatives. Practically is very difficult to find a decent multiplatform mail client. Any thoughts?

Best,
What links do you open without opening them in the SeaMonkey browser?

Need language support for Thunderbird 60.4.0. Try here.

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... e-support/

Need a Thunderbird in your language. Try https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/all/
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Last edited by Snake4 on August 25th, 2021, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
frg

Post by frg »

2.57 may be a dollar short or a month year late but the plans to release it have not changed.

Gecko as a platform after 2.57 is currently done for me. Too much removed. If TB manages to get the next ESR 68 out we can still see if we can salvage SeaMonkey. Without more devs I am not optimistic for SeaMonkey. Firefox market share is also going down and I am personally not inclined to follow them down the drain. We have our own to follow but better do it in style and not end as a bad Chrome clone :) As usual I am speaking for me and not for the project.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Last edited by Snake4 on September 28th, 2021, 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
frg

Post by frg »

> i didn't think 2.57 would even make it out the door as IMO wouldn't be worth doing

Why not? classic-addons will still work and web extension support will either work or no 2.57.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Last edited by Snake4 on September 28th, 2021, 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

frg wrote:Bills 2.49.5 and 2.53 should be stable. 2.53 is at 52.9 level with additional fixes and support for newer features (TLS 1.3 among others). I plan to bring it up to the latest ESR60 level wrt security when I find some time. 2.49.5 is more or less at 60.2 level. Same here. I use both releases regularly.

ewong is building up our own infrastructure but it takes time to do this. We all have daytime jobs and a life outside SeaMonkey. Just need money to live :)

Next official version will be 2.49.5. 2.57 is not ready yet. Versions after 2.57 are junk. Mozilla trashed the Gecko source pretty good and it would need more devs to keep up here.

Use latest classic NoScript and uBlock Origin and you should be mostly safe. Far from an ideal situation but can't be helped. No new devs and so slow progress. For things not working in SM I recommend Chromium.

FRG
Going to check out Bills 2.49.5 and 2.53.
I don't recommend Chromium. If things don't work for me in SeaMonkey for me then I use Firefox. :wink:
Perhaps all of us here can do a campaign to raise money to keep SeaMonkey going strong. :D
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Last edited by Snake4 on August 25th, 2021, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

Man, I can't stand Chrome OR Firefox.
If I have to leave Seamonkey, I'm hoping on the Dillo train or something.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Mouse4 wrote:
frg wrote:> i didn't think 2.57 would even make it out the door as IMO wouldn't be worth doing

Why not? classic-addons will still work and web extension support will either work or no 2.57.
true but it just seems like a waste of effort in putting or bring out 2.57 when possibly not many will use it anyway. i cant see Frank Lion Racing to download it
Well, I'm no benchmark for what other people should do.

Then again, there does have to be a point to things. Is it better to pursue a blind alley that if successful will only lead to a clone of Firefox, with its huge limitations, or to consolidate things as they are? Of course, if 2.57+ is less than successful then only irritation will ensue anyway. Does seem pretty clear to me what to do.

Yeah, if the Council officially announced (yep, that would be a first to hear anything from the Council, like ever) that SM will be staying at 2.49.4 or whatever, then that would suggest to some that the project has shut down, but isn't that better than pursuing a version that no one is going to like? As it is SM 2.49.4 does do exactly (with the help of a few extensions and themes) what a browser and Email client should do and does them well.

The user can also do much to help themselves, by using 3rd party anti- exploit/ransomware/tracking/etc programs and turning off JS, with a simple toggle button, until you need it...is also a damn good idea as well.

frg wrote: As usual I am speaking for me and not for the project.
Yep, we figured.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)