.blah.

Re: Google search messed up with SeaMonkey 2.49.3

Post by .blah. »

1. Yes.
2. No need to be a condescending twerp.
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

.blah. wrote:Sorry I don't really understand the inner workings of it all but how is it google's fault for this when Yahoo! doesn't recognise SeaMonkey as a modern browser, Github too tells me «Please note that GitHub no longer supports old versions of Firefox. We recommend upgrading to the latest Safari, Google Chrome, or Firefox.» and it's not just the search box looking wonky, when you open images.google.com it doesn't show the camera icon
Basically, the website asks "What browser are you?" when your browser tries to bring them up. And when it doesn't recognize the browser name, it throws a big scary "your browser is old and won't work" error up. Or it disables features.
In Google's case, the website sends glitchy code that doesn't actually work, because they have the best developers in the industry.

In all three cases, the problem is that the website is not actually checking what the browser can do, just if it knows the browser's name.
That is why it is Google's fault. They're not using the useragent string properly, and then they're giving Seamonkey a broken version of their website because they don't actually test what their code does if it isn't run using the latest copy of Firefox, Safari, or Chrome.

It is like if your mailman asks "What's your name?" and you say "Phil."
And then the mailman says "I hate Bill. Here, I dropped your mail in the mud." and stuffs Bill's wet and muddy mail into your hands.
Is it your fault that the mailman gave you the wrong mail, and damaged it in the process? Or is it the mailman's fault?
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

Where is Options / Advanced?
Rich
Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
amrad

Post by amrad »

@ Ztrucker,
Ztruker wrote:Where is Options / Advanced?
Go to: Edit | Preferences | Advanced | HTTP Networking

Check 'Advertise Firefox Compatibility'.

Regards,

Dave.
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

Thanks, I already have that set. I was looking for something called Options (which doesn't exist).
Last edited by Ztruker on January 26th, 2019, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

As far as I can tell, (Tools->)Options->Advanced is just a Firefox menu path
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

DanRaisch wrote:As far as I can tell, (Tools->)Options->Advanced is just a Firefox menu path
Yep, Firefox and Firefox clones, like Waterfox. As I knew I was replying to a Waterfox user, I figured they would find that easier.

Incidentally, Waterfox Support had a thread on this very subject, of their browser getting this message, only a couple of days back.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
.blah.

Post by .blah. »

LordOfTheBored, thank you very much for the explanation! :-)
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

My pleasure.
macron0

Post by macron0 »

Besides the search box issue I have another issue with google search since a few weeks? version 2.49.3 en 2.49.4 running on windows 10 and windows 7 64

I cannot click the search results I get from google. I can open the link in a new tab or new browser that works fine. But clicking the link with left MB causes a javascript error.

Error: TypeError: can't access dead object
Source File: resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/webbrowser.js
Line: 2508

It seems it does not happen when I only have one tab open. Since I have this problem on 3 pc's (one at work and 2 computers at home) I do not think it is a curropt config. This happens when using all kinds of user agent strings like FF 63, 60 and 52 SM 2.49 but it does work when I use the IE 6 user agent string. Updating to 2.49.4 did not help. Same problem.

Anyway. It is a shame how google seems to try and discourage people from using other browsers. I do think Seamonkey should have build in buttons or something easy to work arround these kind of problems in a single click Actually it should be on ny default. I could never explain the about:config method over te phone to my parents and now I cannot use google search because I cannot click the results. (well always right click) and I do not have the impression anyone is going to fix it. (like the broken search bar)

So if you want to use Seamonkey you cannot use google search (only the most popular search engine in the world?). Not a very good selling point. This way we never get a bigger user base.

I think the least SeaMoney should be able to do after "next / next / finish" in windows setup is handle google search properly.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

macron0 wrote:So if you want to use Seamonkey you cannot use google search (only the most popular search engine in the world?).
For Google I use Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0.

Works fine.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
hardys

Post by hardys »

No problem here with SM 2.49.4 WIN10 prof. 64bit and right click or middle click to open the result in a new tab or new window on two diff. PCs.

My user string: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:63.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

Maybe you can try to clear you cache and delete cookies :?:
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

hardys, what about left click which is what macron0 said he was having problems with?
Rich
hardys

Post by hardys »

Ztruker wrote:hardys, what about left click which is what macron0 said he was having problems with?
Normal behavior. With left click the result opens in the same window as expected with no errors displayed
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

macron0 wrote:Besides the search box issue I have another issue with google search since a few weeks? version 2.49.3 en 2.49.4 running on windows 10 and windows 7 64

I cannot click the search results I get from google. I can open the link in a new tab or new browser that works fine. But clicking the link with left MB causes a javascript error.

Error: TypeError: can't access dead object
Source File: resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/webbrowser.js
Line: 2508

It seems it does not happen when I only have one tab open. Since I have this problem on 3 pc's (one at work and 2 computers at home) I do not think it is a curropt config. This happens when using all kinds of user agent strings like FF 63, 60 and 52 SM 2.49 but it does work when I use the IE 6 user agent string. Updating to 2.49.4 did not help. Same problem.

Anyway. It is a shame how google seems to try and discourage people from using other browsers. I do think Seamonkey should have build in buttons or something easy to work arround these kind of problems in a single click Actually it should be on ny default. I could never explain the about:config method over te phone to my parents and now I cannot use google search because I cannot click the results. (well always right click) and I do not have the impression anyone is going to fix it. (like the broken search bar)

So if you want to use Seamonkey you cannot use google search (only the most popular search engine in the world?). Not a very good selling point. This way we never get a bigger user base.

I think the least SeaMoney should be able to do after "next / next / finish" in windows setup is handle google search properly.
Wouldn't use the straight up Google search engine if they paid me. I prefer the third party startpage.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome