userChrome.css not working on newly installed FF

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Exoteeth

userChrome.css not working on newly installed FF

Post by Exoteeth »

I have 2 PC's and I have never had a problem with CSS files on FF. I just put together another PC today with Windows 8.1, but userChrome.css does not work on the latest FF. It doesn't do anything at all. However, userContent.css (in the same folder) DOES work. How is this possible?
Grumpus

Re: userChrome.css not working on newly installed FF

Post by Grumpus »

Works fine as userChrome on all five of my systems???
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
morat

Post by morat »

Here is how to open the profile directory.

* Help > Troubleshooting Information
* Open Folder

Example chrome\userChrome.css file:

Code: Select all

/* Firefox userChrome.css */

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

* { background-color: orange !important; }
http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css

Here is a similar thread: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2220461
Gingerbread Man wrote:Windows hides file extensions by default. Novice users may end up mistakingly naming the file userChrome.css.txt without realizing it.
If the advice in the other thread does not help, then try restarting the browser after enabling the default theme and disabling all extensions in Tools > Addons.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_(Firefox)
Exoteeth

Post by Exoteeth »

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, none of the above helps. I've dotted all the i's and crossed the t's on this. The userChrome.css file I'm using is the same file on two other PC's. I'm just going to delete this Windows build. It obviously did not go well.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

What is the content of the userChrome.css file?

Did you make sure the file doesn't have a hidden .txt file extension (userChrome.css.txt) or a double .css file extension (userChrome.css.css) and that the file is a plain text file?
Franpa

Post by Franpa »

Firefox 65 has rendered some syntax out of date for the userChrome.css file. For example the CSS for having the Tab Bar appear below the the other Toolbars now needs new CSS code in order for it to work.

If you provide us with a copy of your CSS file we may be able to identify and potentially update it for you.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 x64|AMD Ryzen 3700X|ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi)|16GB 3600MHz RAM|Nvidia Geforce 1070Ti 8GB|Corsair AX760 Power Supply
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

Franpa wrote:Firefox 65 has rendered some syntax out of date for the userChrome.css file. For example the CSS for having the Tab Bar appear below the the other Toolbars now needs new CSS code in order for it to work.
If you provide us with a copy of your CSS file we may be able to identify and potentially update it for you.

@Franpa I have this problem as well. With today's FF update to version 65.0, I lost the tabs below the address bar. Here are the contents of my userChrome.css

Code: Select all

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

/* Tabs on bottom 1 stopped working with the Jan 29, 2019 FF update to version 65.0. 
#navigator-toolbox toolbar:not(#nav-bar):not(#toolbar-menubar)
{
    -moz-box-ordinal-group:10}
    #TabsToolbar {-moz-box-ordinal-group:1000!important
}

*/

/* Tabs on bottom  2  does not work */

#TabsToolbar {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 2;
  border-bottom: 1px solid #888 !important; 
}
#nav-bar{ border-top-width: 0px !important; }

Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
Exoteeth

Post by Exoteeth »

I figured out my issue, which is bound to be unique so it's not going to help anyone else. It turns out it had to do with the prefs file, which I substituted from another FF build. What happens is I didn't have FF setup the same as the other build, so the substituted prefs file caused a lot of functions to not work, including CSS. The only way you can sub a prefs file is if you have the same theme, extensions, etc. Then the subbed prefs file will work.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

In my case I doubt if it's the Prefs.js file because I extracted and placed my personal choices in the User.js. But now that you mentioned it, it's better if another profile is created and the files compared.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
Exoteeth

Post by Exoteeth »

I had no idea until now that I installed Firefox 65. This is also probably why the prefs file didn't work right (i used the prefs file from the previous version). It also might explain why my CSS doesn't work right.

#titlebar-buttonbox-container no longer works in 65.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

The Textpad compare feature shows that a lot of the old preferences do not exist in v65. In my case the difference could have been incremental because the old prefs.jf was copied from one version to the next starting with v60. So, FF can add but not delete a discontinued preference.

I can't understand why Firefox is making such a big deal out of the issue of tabs above or below the address bar.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

ineuw wrote:I can't understand why Firefox is making such a big deal out of the issue of tabs above or below the address bar.
Users are making that a big deal. Mozilla got rid of the "tabs on bottom" feature in Australis Fx 29 as the default; it has been users who couldn't learn to live with that change and insisted on changing it via an extension initially and then with Quantum via userChrome code.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

Of course users are making it a big deal, it's a desired feature that users are missing. This is a very bad attitude on part of Mozilla who touted Firefox as a different kind of product from Microsoft Explorer and which encouraged user input.

I followed the same route as others who wanted their tabs below the address bar. My question is, why take it out in the first place what difference does that make? There are plenty of users who like that feature and they could have offered it both ways. If it was for some security concern, that I can understand, otherwise they are childish. In addition to this, Windows Firefox 65 blocks my attempts to any and all websites with the message that their certificates are invalid. I must use Vivaldi, or Firefox on Linux because it is still version 64.02.
m.rumble

Post by m.rumble »

Franpa wrote:Firefox 65 has rendered some syntax out of date for the userChrome.css file. For example the CSS for having the Tab Bar appear below the the other Toolbars now needs new CSS code in order for it to work.

Here's my CSS file (Tabs on Bottom no longer works, but the Status Bar is okay):

--------------------

/* Tab bar below Navigation & Bookmarks Toolbars For best results, show Title Bar or Menu Bar */ #nav-bar { /* main toolbar */ -moz-box-ordinal-group: 1 !important; border-top-width: 0 !important; } #PersonalToolbar { /* bookmarks toolbar */ -moz-box-ordinal-group: 2 !important; } #TabsToolbar { /* tab bar */ -moz-box-ordinal-group: 3 !important; }

/* Status-bar */
#browser-bottombox { height: 20px; border-top: solid 0px #505050; }
.browserContainer>statuspanel { left: 4px !important; bottom: 0px; transition-duration: 0s !important; transition-delay: 0s !important; }
.browserContainer>statuspanel>.statuspanel-inner>.statuspanel-label { margin-left: 0px !important; border: none !important; padding: 0px !important; }

window[inFullscreen="true"] #browser-bottombox { display:none !important; }
window[inFullscreen="true"] .browserContainer>statuspanel[type="overLink"] .statuspanel-label { display:none !important; }

#statuspanel #statuspanel-label {
-moz-appearance: none !important;
background-color: transparent !important;
border: 0px solid black !important;
}

#statuspanel {
background-color: transparent !important;
border: none !important;
bottom: 18px !important; /* adjust*/
height: 18px !important; /* adjust */
max-width: 30% !important; /* Change the value to suite your needs */
transition: none !important;
}
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

ineuw wrote:In addition to this, Windows Firefox 65 blocks my attempts to any and all websites with the message that their certificates are invalid. I must use Vivaldi, or Firefox on Linux because it is still version 64.02.
If this is still an issue you might want to peruse the Support area of this board... check some of the titles and you will note that others are seeing the same problem.. and there are some fixes in that dialog.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!